Centuries in the World Chamoionship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Centuries in the World Chamoionship

So i was looking at the past 25 or so years (1990 onwards) at the world championship and how many centuries there are, and generally it's steadily risen. Last year there was the most ever, and this year it looks like it will be a similar amount.

My question is - Why are there more now than there were 20 years ago? Is it as simple as the fact players are better now than they were. Or is it that there are more top players now than there were. Or has tactics evolved into a more break-building style game? Be interested to know everyone's opinions.

Please see below for the statistics. I find the best stat to go by is the 'frames per century' one, as throughout the years there have been different formats etc.

snooker_centuries.png

Cloths are thinner so the pack breaks better.
    "Am too good not to win this tournament" - Stephen Hendry

Comment

Seems there's quite a jump around 1997/98

Comment

Golden generation caused by 80's explosion.
        The spawn of Davis and White.

Comment

The balls are different.
          The cloths are different.
          The tables are heated (have they always been?)
          The style of play is different.
          With so many more tournaments in recent years players are even more match sharp.
          Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

The conditions became better and certain players came along whilst some adapted to conditions better

Hendry started a pack smacking attack minded revolution. Williams Ronnie Higgins Hunter Lee generation also came along.

People learn from what came before - even the cleaner in a snooker club can make a century these days.

Comment

What club you go to then lol

Comment

Originally Posted by mattandbenny View Post
                So i was looking at the past 25 or so years (1990 onwards) at the world championship and how many centuries there are, and generally it's steadily risen. Last year there was the most ever, and this year it looks like it will be a similar amount.

My question is - Why are there more now than there were 20 years ago? Is it as simple as the fact players are better now than they were. Or is it that there are more top players now than there were. Or has tactics evolved into a more break-building style game? Be interested to know everyone's opinions.

Please see below for the statistics. I find the best stat to go by is the 'frames per century' one, as throughout the years there have been different formats etc.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18373[/ATTACH]
                The one stat that stands out for me is Hendry and each year he won the title his century count grew.
                John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. :snooker:

Comment

The lad that cleans the tables in our club can make them , I have been hammered by him quite often lol, great to watch though, I learn a lot from him.
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

What happened in 2006?
                    "Am too good not to win this tournament" - Stephen Hendry

Comment

Originally Posted by Le Ball Sack View Post
                      What happened in 2006?
                      just look who won
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        The lad that cleans the tables in our club can make them , I have been hammered by him quite often lol, great to watch though, I learn a lot from him.
                        your pms are full, time for a spring clean lol

Comment

Cheers Golfy.
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                          X