Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really New and wondering

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Really New and wondering

    Ok im new to snooker, i have been down my local club to play and lets be honest im not even close to been a rough diamond, but i enjoy watching..

    Anyway i play on the computer alot (please dont shoot me down) and i have a question regarding snookers..

    If on the break you snooker your opponent , lets say behind the green ball and he misses 3 times to hit the red's is that a claim game ? at what point can you claim the game ?

  • #2
    Most people, in the uk anyway, don't bother with the miss rule playing at the club. Maybe in a league match, but not just playing against a mate. But the frame is only forfeited if a player misses 3 times when he isn't snookered. I think if he can see a ball on full in the face, but it could be both sides.

    So in the situation you describe you can't claim the frame until he concedes.

    Comment


    • #3
      I agree jonny, I tend not to use the miss rule as I'm happy whatever shot my opponent plays is a genuine effort to hit the ball on.

      Good idea for beginners starting out is download a pdf of the wpbsa snooker rules, amazing how many regular players don't know the rules.

      Comment


      • #4
        Really New and wondering

        download the rules from here
        http://www.wpbsa.com/governance/rules-of-snooker/

        jonny66 - it is full ball contact (not both extreme edges) that defines whether a F&M is called. if full ball contact is possible then a F&M is always called.
        so in the original scenario no F&M would be called, only a Foul is called if no contact on the ball or balls on is made.
        The options to the non-offending player is to play themselves or ask the offender to play again, both from where the cue ball comes to rest.

        As mentioned above most club players don't use the F&M.
        Up the TSF!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by markz View Post
          I agree jonny, I tend not to use the miss rule as I'm happy whatever shot my opponent plays is a genuine effort to hit the ball on.

          Good idea for beginners starting out is download a pdf of the wpbsa snooker rules, amazing how many regular players don't know the rules.
          The miss rule is good. When good players start using it on you, you don't half learn how to get out of snookers better.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DeanH View Post
            download the rules from here
            http://www.wpbsa.com/governance/rules-of-snooker/

            jonny66 - it is full ball contact (not both extreme edges) that defines whether a F&M is called. if full ball contact is possible then a F&M is always called.
            so in the original scenario no F&M would be called, only a Foul is called if no contact on the ball or balls on is made.
            The options to the non-offending player is to play themselves or ask the offender to play again, both from where the cue ball comes to rest.

            As mentioned above most club players don't use the F&M.
            Surely you mean 'it is full ball contact (not both extreme edges) that defines whether the three miss rule applies. if full ball contact is possible then the three miss rule is always applied?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cantpotforshíte View Post
              Surely you mean 'it is full ball contact (not both extreme edges) that defines whether the three miss rule applies. if full ball contact is possible then the three miss rule is always applied?
              No, I do mean "...is possible then a F&M is always called", but I got the first bit wrong, not full ball contact but any part of a ball or balls on, a F&M is always called and the "third miss rule" will start.
              Sec3.14(c) (c) If the striker, in making a stroke, fails to first hit a ball on when there is a clear path in a straight line from the cue-ball to any part of any ball that is or could be on, the referee shall always call FOUL AND A MISS unless as described under paragraph (a)(i) and (a)(ii).
              "Full contact" comes into affect AFTER a F&M has been called (3.14(d)).
              I am trying to find the image of the workflow chart from the SRA which shows the criteria, the order, and the effects of the F&M rule
              Up the TSF!

              Comment


              • #8
                here is the SRA F&M Chart that helps explain this rule's application:
                Up the TSF!

                Comment


                • #9
                  ^ yeah, that's helpful.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DeanH View Post
                    here is the SRA F&M Chart that helps explain this rule's application:
                    Nice flow chart.
                    First time I'm seeing this. Where did you get it?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      SRA - Surrey Referees Association
                      they produce an Explanation booklet covering every component of the rules with clear simple language and this chart is in the back
                      you can purchase a copy, I can find the details if you wish - for some bedtime reading
                      Up the TSF!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The miss rule should be standard (even at club level). It improves the ability of players getting out of snookers and learning certain angles around the table.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Can i just say a massive thanks to you all, i have downloaded the PDF and will be taking a look over it in due course, i have joined up with a local club and looking to go and practice in real , my fear is that i'm going to be really bad and just waste time on the table.

                          But thanks for clearing this one up for me..

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by wayupna View Post
                            Can i just say a massive thanks to you all, i have downloaded the PDF and will be taking a look over it in due course, i have joined up with a local club and looking to go and practice in real , my fear is that i'm going to be really bad and just waste time on the table.

                            But thanks for clearing this one up for me..
                            no time at the table is waste of time
                            hopefully you will fine nice people at the club, and you can start finding playing partners, and don't forget main part of playing snooker - enjoy, be comfortable at the table, and have fun
                            Up the TSF!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Be careful about the rules on online versions of "snooker" - often they get some of the more tricky rules wrong. I play one on facebook called Snooker Live Pro, and this one will end the game if you foul three times in the same way, i.e a miss. I'm not sure if they've tweaked the rules to make it more playable online (such as having a 30 second countdown per shot), or just because they haven't studied the rules closely enough.

                              As for playing in real life, get your fundamentals right - such as stance, grip, finding the line, how to cue straight and get different reactions. Then practice as much as you can by doing a "line up" to get the hang of making pots and finding position. It never comes quickly and no-one starts as a "rough diamond"... or at least that's what i tell myself because I certainly wasn't, and probably still aren't. Just go as often as possible, work on your weaknesses and have patience. good luck

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X