Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Judd be outstanding with a more 'normal' cue action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Judd be outstanding with a more 'normal' cue action?

Judd Trump is one of my favourite players to watch - interesting and pacey around the table with tremendous cue power. He's had many accolades to his name such as winning the under-15's world championships at the age of 10 and being the youngest player to make a 147 in competitive play aged 14.

I couldn't help but wonder if he'd have managed to achieve even more if he had a more orthodox cue action. His current method of lining up to miss and then moving his body across his shot seems to go against everything in the snooker bible but it can't be denied that he is a phenomenal single potter, perhaps the best the game has ever seen.

Do you guys think he's perfected a different approach to cueing or would his consistency improve from a more textbook method?

In my opinion, no.
    WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
    Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Way too late for Judd to make any radical changes to his technique. And in my opinion, he is far from the best single ball potter the game has ever seen. That's just commentator led drivel. Brave of him to swap cues, though.

Comment

Originally Posted by ghost121 View Post
        Way too late for Judd to make any radical changes to his technique. And in my opinion, he is far from the best single ball potter the game has ever seen. That's just commentator led drivel.
        I meant if he had learnt from the beginning. I feel like consistency is the thing missing from his game but then again you could say that about a lot of people.

I've come to notice that a lot of left-handed, right-eye dominant players are incredibly good potters. I can't remember where but I read that they have better body mechanics because of it.

Comment

Absolutely not, in my opinion his flaws are in more mental than technical.
          "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Just hope he doesn't go all the way down the 'Blame Your Cue Road' like many others do, the game has a lack of flair plyers and we need him more than ever.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
              Just hope he doesn't go all the way down the 'Blame Your Cue Road' like many others do, the game has a lack of flair plyers and we need him more than ever.
              Watched his match against Anda Zhang and his new cue seems stiffer, more solid than his old cue. I doubt if he will be able to pull of those crazy screw backs back to baulk.

Comment

Yes, he would.

Hendry changed his set-up after losing the world final to Davis, to become the best. Ronnie has changed all sorts of things down the years. Bingo enlisted sightright and a coach to stop cueing across the ball and that was in his mid to late 30s. Robbo has changed how he cues, becoming the best long potter and ton maker in one season the game has ever seen. JT won't change because he thinks he's right and because he ain't that bright.

On his cue, Old Git says it's a 9.3mm and 18oz, so a tad smaller tip and a tad heavier. If it's stiffer, the smaller tip and extra weight should make it possible to have just as much power with good timing, which JT obviously possesses. But because the daft bugger only cues on the correct line on the fore stroke and not on feathers; a smaller tip could cause even more problems. When JT misses, he misses big and that could get worse.

@tomperty, it also works with the symmetrical opposite player; L eye dominant, R hand. A certain Ronnie O'Sullivan.
                Last edited by Big Splash!; 28 July 2016, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Hendry never played Davis in a world final

Comment

No, lol....

Comment

Originally Posted by guernseygooner View Post
                      Hendry never played Davis in a world final
                      It may have been a semi come to think of it; 89. But the next year, the wide cueing of Hendry changed and the cue was brought closer to the hip, like Davis! This brought a new level of accuracy and consistency. 7 world titles later...

As TD would explain, he then dropped his shoulder; which was part of his downfall.

JT could improve his game by altering his technique, he's no oldie and has time to do this. Apart from cueing, I don't think JT will ever be world champ. He doesn't have the nuts or the stamina to make it to the end. He's a short format player.
                      Last edited by Big Splash!; 28 July 2016, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I Believe he will win a wc before he's done.

Look at the others, once the guard Changes over the next couple of years he has every chance to win a few world titles..

He'll win atleast one imo... I'm not really a trump fan but he'll win a WC before he's done I'm sure.

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post

Look at the others, once the guard Changes over the next couple of years he has every chance to win a few world titles..

He'll win atleast one imo... I'm not really a trump fan but he'll win a WC before he's done I'm sure.
                          Yep I agree too much talent not to

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                            Originally Posted by cally View Post

Yep I agree too much talent not to
                            Not as talented as Jimmy White and he never won one.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                              Not as talented as Jimmy White and he never won one.
                              Peculiar circumstances for Jimmy tho. It would be almost a shocker if Trump isn't gonna get one WC in his career imho

Comment

Working...
                              X