No announcement yet.

Cleaning/Maintenance Of Cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesus, check these loons. This is the price society pays for cuts in special needs care. Ignore the rubbish above members; there isn't a single pro who puts soap on his cue, of any kind. So if the pros don't do it, neither should you! Remember John Parris telling customers to wash their cues with soap? Nah, me neither.

Putting soap on cues and scraping the shaft with wire wool is up there with muppets sanding their shafts with sandpaper during games and constantly filing their tips down. Soap is sticky. Why would anyone want to trap 'sticky' in the grain of the cue unless they're total cockwombles? Also, the water to wash the soap off warps wood, why take the risk? Never listen to fake cue makers who hit 30s. Utter loons.
    Last edited by Big Splash!; 7 September 2016, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Who the hell cares how a pro looks after his cue? Most of them cant even fit their own tips they pop into Parris's to have it done, as for spending an hour or so oiling their own cue over 3 or 4 days every now and then they most likely could not go without it that long. I wouldn't be surprised if you looked at a pros cue you'd find it to be in a right state. Worst I can think of was Thorburn who had a nail holding a splice in place.

Comment

I'd rather listen to a pro or proper cue maker than molly with his shoe leather on the end of a Thai clunker.

Remember, pros go to the Crucible and win world titles. What they do is actually very important in guiding all. It's not all about listening to yam-yams and whacking the balls.

Comment

Originally Posted by jimmymoller View Post
          Who the hell cares how a pro looks after his cue? Most of them cant even fit their own tips they pop into Parris's to have it done, as for spending an hour or so oiling their own cue over 3 or 4 days every now and then they most likely could not go without it that long. I wouldn't be surprised if you looked at a pros cue you'd find it to be in a right state. Worst I can think of was Thorburn who had a nail holding a splice in place.
          Wasn't it John Spencer ??

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
            I'd rather listen to a pro or proper cue maker than molly with his shoe leather on the end of a Thai clunker.

Remember, pros go to the Crucible and win world titles. What they do is actually very important in guiding all. It's not all about listening to yam-yams and whacking the balls.
            Pros tend to know Jack shiit about cues and their upkeep. Virtually all are clueless about much of the minutiae of the game, which us bangers obsess over. They simply aren't interested.

Comment

Jesus, check these loons. This is the price society pays for cuts in special needs care. Ignore the rubbish above members; there isn't a single pro who puts soap on his cue, of any kind. So if the pros don't do it, neither should you! Remember John Parris telling customers to wash their cues with soap? Nah, me neither.

Putting soap on cues and scraping the shaft with wire wool is up there with muppets sanding their shafts with sandpaper during games and constantly filing their tips down. Soap is sticky. Why would anyone want to trap 'sticky' in the grain of the cue unless they're total cockwombles? Also, the water to wash the soap off warps wood, why take the risk? Never listen to fake cue makers who hit 30s. Utter loons.
              Soap is sticky?

Oh, and there's a difference between soap and sugar soap, with the latter being a decorators tool to strip grease etc from paintwork. Me, i use a magic eraser for both cues and paintwork. (Don't do this people, unless you really know what you are doing).
              Last edited by Hello, Mr Big Shot; 7 September 2016, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                Soap is sticky?

Oh, and there's a difference between soap and sugar soap, with the latter being a decorators tool to strip grease etc from paintwork. Me, i use a magic eraser for both cues and paintwork. (Don't do this people, unless you really know what you are doing).
                Hang on, magic eraser requires water!

As for pros not caring about cues; that's another myth. Dom knows an awful lot about cues and has a lovely collection. Ronnie knows his cues and Alex Higgins was forever doing things to his Burwats. None of them or any other pro uses sugar soap, soap or anything else form B&Q to clean a cue. It's either the dry cloth or the damp one with them. That's it folks!

If people must use liquid to clean a cue, a rag dipped in a drop of meths can do the job but you will lose a bit of cue oil so give it a thin coat of oil afterwards and leave overnight. But I'd only recommend this if the cue is really dirty and grimey. Otherwise, dry or damp cloth; as this young man explains in his video:

Last edited by Big Splash!; 7 September 2016, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Hang on, magic eraser requires water!
                  Not if you know what you are doing...

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                    Not if you know what you are doing...
                    Hmm, I can feel the friction and hear the squeek already. Don't give molly ideas; he'll be using an eraser that he made out of a car tyre to clean a cue next. :biggrin-new:

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                      Wasn't it John Spencer ??
                      Yep.

Just testing lol

Comment

As for pros not caring about cues; that's another myth. Dom knows an awful lot about cues and has a lovely collection.
                        He knows a lot about old cues yet he sold his collection years ago. Nowadays he classes himself as an ambassador for them thai made maximus things in other words he on a cut.

Ronnie knows his cues
                        I very very much doubt that. What he knows about cues you'd probably get on the back of an envelope. What he does know is how to make money out of them after all he's been taught by the best promotor of a cue brand in todays era.. JP
                        Have you not seen the ones Riley are selling for over a grand and more where Ronnie takes the lions share by signing them?

and Alex Higgins was forever doing things to his Burwats.
                        Yeah, I read he sold it every other week and not just when he was finished in the game drinking himself into the grave he'd be selling it every time he was sloshed or just out of the bookies and short of a bob or two. Really knew his wood did Alex.
                        Go to Ireland mention snooker in any pub and somebody will pull you asides quietly and whisper " Will ye be interested in buying the genuine cue of the great man himself ?"

Love yah really Alex, named my son Alex after you and the Doog.
                        Last edited by jimmymoller; 8 September 2016, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Got the damp flannel and soap idea from none other than Steve Davis who said he does this to clean the grime off his cue. Read it in Pot Black magazine oh so many years ago, and 000 wire wool is very forgiving when cleaning and preparing a shaft for oiling, like a little ball of spider silk in my hands, 'scraping' isn't the verb I'd use to describe what I'm doing with it.

Question for you splasher : Is it the secret ingredient that makes your angel oil come off with a wipe of a damp cloth with a little soap 'cos when I get oily hands soap doesn't work so I reach for the Swarfega.
                          Last edited by vmax4steve; 8 September 2016, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Note the words, "while playing"

Not what this thread is actually about, so there you go, wrong again, and maybe you should give JP a bell and tell him that he's removing the oil finish with that damp cloth

Comment

Lol, I just use a little bit of furniture polish on a yellow duster and wipe down after every session or 2 when at home.
                              VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
                              Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
                              Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
                              Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

I'm no expert but firstly the type of treatment afforded to a cue shaft must depend on the material either Ash or Maple in most cases. As for Ash I know very little. However, having played American Pool for a few years I can honestly say that I have never seen a pro cue smith clean maple shafts with a damp cloth.

However, the pro cue smith has access to a lathe.

Without access to the best suited equipment I can see why a very damp cloth a long side a dry cloth can be used for domestic shaft cleaning. In America, pro cue smiths offer this service at tournaments and make a packet for themselves.

My best guess is that there are a lot of things we all can learn from each other. :snooker:
                                Last edited by the lone wolf; 8 September 2016, 04:28 PM.
                                "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                                National Snooker Expo
                                25-27 October 2019
                                http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X