Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is This Stuff Any Good To Use On Cue Shaft???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This Stuff Any Good To Use On Cue Shaft???

It's called 'Lord Sheraton Caretaker Wood Balsam' with pure beeswax, pine turpentine & linseed oil. Is this good to use to finish a cue & if so what's the best way to prepare the cue before applying this & what is the best way to apply this? Any advice would be great. I'm looking for tips from start to finish on how to get a dirty cue in a really good condition if possible.

Depends what condition the cue is in, has it been previously oil/wax finished or have you stripped the old finish off? If its been previously oil or wax finished then clean the cue by using a damp (not wet) cloth, dragging down the cue from the ferrule then immediately buff dry, it may need a light rub with 0000 wire wool or 1200 wet & dry then just follow the instructions on the tin. I've tried the same product and its fine as a finish if you like a wax finish, personally though I prefere oil and only use wax on the butt of cues.

Comment

To apply it id suggest wearing rubber gloves as the turps has a very strong scent, use a lint free cloth and rub over the entire cue in the direction of the grain, leave for 10 mins then buff off with a clean lint free cloth, leave it for a few hours or overnight before adding more coats, if its to finish from scratch you want at least 3 coats.

Comment

Thanks Dave, my cue has no varnish on it. I've been using sugar soap wipes and finishing with beeswax spray but was wondering if this stuff might be better or not. What are the benefits of oiling compared to waxing and which is better?

Comment

Originally Posted by dmorley85 View Post
          It's called 'Lord Sheraton Caretaker Wood Balsam' with pure beeswax, pine turpentine & linseed oil. Is this good to use to finish a cue & if so what's the best way to prepare the cue before applying this & what is the best way to apply this? Any advice would be great. I'm looking for tips from start to finish on how to get a dirty cue in a really good condition if possible.
          I've been using this stuff for years with no problems with no stickyness and cue is better for it. I just massage the wood balm on to cue and leave for 10-15 minutes and then spray some Lord Sheraton polish spray(bees wax) on to a yellow duster and buff down. And then finally buff with a cue towel to a silky finish.....just take your time with it.
          VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
          Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
          Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
          Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

Originally Posted by TooDark View Post
            I've been using this stuff for years with no problems with no stickyness and cue is better for it. I just massage the wood balm on to cue and leave for 10-15 minutes and then spray some Lord Sheraton polish spray(bees wax) on to a yellow duster and buff down. And then finally buff with a cue towel to a silky finish.....just take your time with it.
            What do you apply the wood balm with, a microfibre cloth?

Comment

What do you apply the wood balm with, a microfibre cloth?
              Good old fashion 'my hands'.
              VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
              Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
              Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
              Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

Thanks Dave, my cue has no varnish on it. I've been using sugar soap wipes and finishing with beeswax spray but was wondering if this stuff might be better or not. What are the benefits of oiling compared to waxing and which is better?
                Its preferance tbh but I prefere an oil finish, wax gets sticky quicker and dirt sticks to it, once an oil finish is cured its more durable, and needs less maintenance.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                  Its preferance tbh but I prefere an oil finish, wax gets sticky quicker and dirt sticks to it, once an oil finish is cured its more durable, and needs less maintenance.
                  Do you think using sugar soap wipes & beeswax spray is good or not Dave?

Comment

Working...
                  X