Can anyone explain what's happening here please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone explain what's happening here please

My game seemed to have gone to pot, if you'll excuse the pun. I spent a few quid on a two hour session with a World Snooker coach and really enjoyed it and picked up loads of good advice.

We were doing some basic short range straight potting blue off the spot into middle and every time the cue ball struck the blue the blue would hit the left knuckle and rarely go straight in the pocket. So first off to ensure I was hitting the white dead centre he had me knock the cue ball up and down the spots. No problem, straight up and down. So we went back to the blue and every time the object ball was struck it went left.

He said that I needed to readjust my aim such that it would go to the right of where I thought it needed to go. i did and that worked. he pointed out that it would take many many hours of practice to effectively retrain my brain. Im fine with all that and I continue to try and correct it.

But here is my question. for many years I had no issue with picking the angle and potting the ball. So why has this happened - what's going on with my brain/eyesight?

To be clear - Im not looking for solution to fix as I believe I have that, I'm just asking what folk's theory is to the root cause?

Thanks
    Smee

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
    My game seemed to have gone to pot, if you'll excuse the pun. I spent a few quid on a two hour session with a World Snooker coach and really enjoyed it and picked up loads of good advice.

We were doing some basic short range straight potting blue off the spot into middle and every time the cue ball struck the blue the blue would hit the left knuckle and rarely go straight in the pocket. So first off to ensure I was hitting the white dead centre he had me knock the cue ball up and down the spots. No problem, straight up and down. So we went back to the blue and every time the object ball was struck it went left.

He said that I needed to readjust my aim such that it would go to the right of where I thought it needed to go. i did and that worked. he pointed out that it would take many many hours of practice to effectively retrain my brain. Im fine with all that and I continue to try and correct it.

But here is my question. for many years I had no issue with picking the angle and potting the ball. So why has this happened - what's going on with my brain/eyesight?

To be clear - Im not looking for solution to fix as I believe I have that, I'm just asking what folk's theory is to the root cause?

Thanks
    Smee
    mine too !!

i hope sumone shows up to help us out here .

Comment

Could it be your eyesight? Have you had your eyes tested lately?

Comment

You're not cueing straight consistently

If you can shoot up and down the spots that means you can sight the ball correctly and cue straight... If you couldn't, you couldn't do that consistently.

Don't over think it... Something's happening to cause you to bring the cue off the line of the shot.

Did he also say to make sure you keep paying him for his time to 'monitor' your progress?

Only kidding, don't mean to be cynical... Just seems a pretty extreme cure to a problem which you never used to have at all.

Comment

Ive had my eyes tested and theyre fine. No he didnt offer to "monitor" progress. What he says works. The last couple of weeks ive been missing pots again with the object ball going to the left again. I played last night, which prompted my post, and conscioys aimed right of what I thought would be correct, and the ball drops in every time. He did say there were other somutions like adjusting my head position but I foubd it very uncomfortable so have to go with this solution. Maybe the head position means im not looking straight down the cue?

Comment

If you used to be able to do something, it stands to reason that you should be able to do it again without a major change... I haven't seen you play so I couldn't say for sure though.

Comment

Has he asked you to change your stance etc?

Hitting the cb in the middle is the single most important thing to do. That you can do that consistently indicates there's nothing seriously wrong, so it may well be a minor sighting/alignment issue. Unlikely your aim has suddenly gone to pot.

Impossible to tell without video. If he has changed something, bear in mind changes take time to work through.

Comment

Had the same problem if you could video yourself doing that shot you can Analise whats off on the pre shot routine that's causing the miss even tho you say changing feels uncomfortable stick with it and it will feel comfortable after a few hours on the table

Comment

Did this problem ever get resolved?

Comment

Working...
                  X