No announcement yet.

How do professionals practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can only try to imagine what it is like to be a Pro on tour and not being able to win a match.... all that money out there and not being able to get to it.... I think I would put in the 6-8 hours in hopes of being able to get a piece of the action...give it your max for a couple of years...if no joy I think I would leave... or would I... Cheers I do like to see an upset and a long shot playing well enough to take a top player to the final black.
    I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
      Trump was scraping by on two hours a day, one hour either side of lunch! He upped it a bit and his form returned last season and I think he has been doing more with his new cue. Ronnie goes periods doing zero. In the run-up to a major, he'll do 4hrs. This seems a bit light compared to many and I think he's chancing his arm a bit. Talent is a curse it would seem.
      That may have been the case during the odd day, but certainly not for extended periods. Ronnie puts in a good few hours practice at Grove still - when he turns up there - just like most of the others. A couple of years ago, him, Liang Wenbo, Judd and Jack Lisowski would have all-dayers playing each other. I was interviewing Django in there on a Saturday once about something car-related and the boys with the exception of Ronnie were playing into the evening. Although they probably didn't start 'til midday to be fair.

During Northern Ireland Open coverage, Ronnie recently moaned about Yu Delu turning up for an hour at 3pm and then going home - said that will never cut it, no matter how much talent you have. It's like anything in life, you need the talent + the work ethic and practice. Federer is a prime example
      Favourite players: Kirk Stevens, Stephen Hendry, John Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Ding Junhui

Comment

When they play, do they themselves pick and respot the balls? I've read here before that some players come with dedicated ball pickers.
        Also, do those snooker stars brush and iron the table afterwards, or do clubs relieve them of that?
        Shocked to read that some players put so little time? If so, they should be happy to still have a place on tour.

Comment

Chris Wakelin yesterday practised rest play, long potting and then played out frames by himself. If he missed a pot he just replaced the balls and played the shot again but properly.
          Matt Selt came down and potted some long blues then did line up after line up.

AceMan- both players maintain their own tables, some of us club players with a bit of respect brush their tables too before and after playing on them.
          "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Just shows you how good these pros are , Hossein Vafaei is ranked 78 at the moment and that youtube clip at PJ Nolan was 5 years ago.

he's a better player now , i see him regular at the Star Snooker Academy in Sheffield practicing.
            it just shows to be a top pro you need lots and lots more practice

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
              When they play, do they themselves pick and respot the balls? I've read here before that some players come with dedicated ball pickers.
              Also, do those snooker stars brush and iron the table afterwards, or do clubs relieve them of that?
              Shocked to read that some players put so little time? If so, they should be happy to still have a place on tour.
              most of the time , yes.

I have also few other 147's from other pro's. It's on my PC ( not youtube ). i give it a try to find them when i get sum time . my computer is a one big mess. I can'nt even find my own name .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07HA0V97vLA

Comment

Originally Posted by VillaGuy View Post
                A nice job for those with the talent, 4-8 hours practice playing snooker to be a pro player, can't say how much I wished I was in their position.
                It is, but like any other job it can become tedious. I remember a guy at my old club who use to get free table time and practice about 6+ hours per day and five day per week.
                He hit 100+ breaks on a regular basis, his safety play was sound and he had a good temperament, but when there was folk watching me he started missing a few balls.

Practice can make near perfection, but not only do you need real talent to succeed, but you also have to hold it together with a crowd watching and the biggest one of all is
                playing in front of TV camera's and knowing there are several million folk looking at you through the camera lens. Most folk can't do it!
                John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. :snooker:

Comment

I envy you guys who get to watch pros play and practise in person very often.
                  Next week I'll get my chance too after a long while. Somewhat close to where I live there will be an exhibition with Selby, Robertson, Murphy and Trump. 10 days to go. Can't wait.

Comment

I practise in the same club as the only finnish pro, Robin Hull. I've heard he practises 6h a day 6 days a week. He has his own table which he takes care of and he does respot his own balls, but then again he's not a top end pro.

Comment

Originally Posted by shmeeko69 View Post
                      It is, but like any other job it can become tedious. I remember a guy at my old club who use to get free table time and practice about 6+ hours per day and five day per week.
                      He hit 100+ breaks on a regular basis, his safety play was sound and he had a good temperament, but when there was folk watching me he started missing a few balls.

Practice can make near perfection, but not only do you need real talent to succeed, but you also have to hold it together with a crowd watching and the biggest one of all is
                      playing in front of TV camera's and knowing there are several million folk looking at you through the camera lens. Most folk can't do it!
                      That's the difference, we all can play these shots (1 in a 100 sometimes), but it's that tedious practice that nears them to the 100/100 mark. It's nice work in anyones book, even if they had to practice 12 hours a day 7 days a week to be at the top. I'd do it anyway.

Comment

if i could make what i am from my job, i would be happy to practice 6-8 hours every day of the week.

Comment

I envy you guys who get to watch pros play and practise in person very often.
                          Next week I'll get my chance too after a long while. Somewhat close to where I live there will be an exhibition with Selby, Robertson, Murphy and Trump. 10 days to go. Can't wait.
                          It's great mate, Wakelin practises with the likes of Dave Gilbert, Selby, Woolaston and Kyren Wilson. Good to see the pros practice.

I hope the exhibition is a good one,last time I saw Selby in one he had a max against me!

Comment

My ticket for exhibition has arrived, but postman couldn't deliver it. Note said nobody was at home, which was not true. Second try today after a phone call with DHL office.
                            Anyway, looking forward seeing top pros in action. Selby in particular. I'm curious to see how that technique of his which apparently nobody recommends holds up under pressure so well.

Comment

My ticket for exhibition has arrived, but postman couldn't deliver it. Note said nobody was at home, which was not true. Second try today after a phone call with DHL office.
                              Anyway, looking forward seeing top pros in action. Selby in particular. I'm curious to see how that technique of his which apparently nobody recommends holds up under pressure so well.
                              wish my technique was as bad as his! I had a similar issue with another distributor, I ended up going to the local office and demanded they hand me my item there and then (this was my new cue!)

Comment

Working...
                              X