One piece or 3/4 cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One piece or 3/4 cue?

I have played with one pieces a few times, and like during post match Q&A today have said, they feel sweeter in contact than joint cues. I want to buy myself a new cue, do people think the reduction in transportability is more important or the feel of the cue? Do many people on here play with one piece cues?

I have a 1pc snooker cue and a 3/4 pool cue.
    The 1pc even in the people wagon I have can be just a tad awkward; it never fitted in my friend Merc saloon.
    The 3/4 in a custom made case to be a short as possible, fits in any car
    But I would not change the 1pc cue as I love the cue and how it feels.
    For that reason I don't mind the awkwardness at all :biggrin:
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I have always been the other way around, 3/4 for snooker and 1 piece for pool, but have to admit that everytime I've tried a one piece snooker cue it's feel is very soft. I think the joint does add a bit of a ting to cues. I'm sure I could fit a one piece in my car but will probably need to go between the front seat.

Comment

Also, how are you meant to know the ideal length, is it on your height or length of arm, or just what feels right?

Comment

Originally Posted by VillaGuy View Post
          I have always been the other way around, 3/4 for snooker and 1 piece for pool, but have to admit that everytime I've tried a one piece snooker cue it's feel is very soft. I think the joint does add a bit of a ting to cues. I'm sure I could fit a one piece in my car but will probably need to go between the front seat.
          Correct, so it's no bother at all, passengers can still sit in the back, if you put the cue in the footwell. How tall are you mate? The general guidline is 58'' max for 6', 57.5'' for 5'10'', 57'' for 5'8'', 56'' for 5'4'', 55'' for dwarves, 59'' for 6'4''. 60'' for freaks.

Obviously those with a longer backswing or long bridge to ball may need a slightly longer cue but most people's arm lengths correlate with height. I'm 6 foot and have a 58'' cue but I can get away with a 57'' cue if I hold the butt at the very end. If I shortened my bridge to ball from 10'' down to 9'' I could even get away with a 56'' cue.

These are the two big factors, height and bridge to ball.
          Last edited by Big Splash!; 15 December 2016, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
            Correct, so it's no bother at all, passengers can still sit in the back, if you put the cue in the footwell. How tall are you mate? The general guidline is 58'' max for 6', 57.5'' for 5'10'', 57'' for 5'8'', 56'' for 5'4'', 55'' for dwarves, 59'' for 6'4''. 60'' for freaks.

Obviously those with a longer backswing or long bridge to ball may need a slightly longer cue but most people's arm lengths correlate with height. I'm 6 foot and have a 58'' cue but I can get away with a 57'' cue if I hold the butt at the very end. If I shortened my bridge to ball from 10'' down to 9'' I could even get away with a 56'' cue.

These are the two big factors, height and bridge to ball.
            Bend in the bride arm has a massive effect also

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
              Bend in the bride arm has a massive effect also
              Yes, the straight arm of Joe Davis being different to that of Steve Davis. I think that's worth an inch or so. But what tends to happen is folk bend their bridge arm and increase BtB automatically so not much difference in cue length needed by adjusting bridge arm angles in reality.
              Last edited by Big Splash!; 15 December 2016, 08:35 PM.

Comment

I'll need a 57'' then, thanks for the advice. What percent of pros play with a single piece does anyone know? There aren't a great deal of club players that use them, usually the players that have been playing the game for a long time use them though.

Comment

I'll need a 57'' then, thanks for the advice. What percent of pros play with a single piece does anyone know? There aren't a great deal of club players that use them, usually the players that have been playing the game for a long time use them though.
                  My friend , This is not about the pros. This is about you?

try to focus on that part. what works for you?

It's your game . is'nt it ??

do i Miss sumthing here ?

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                    My friend , This is not about the pros. This is about you?

try to focus on that part. what works for you?

It's your game . is'nt it ??

do i Miss sumthing here ?
                    It was a simple question. I know that many joint cues are great, but the game also comes down to the mental side and not just the physical. When you are armed with something aligned with what a pro uses surely it can give that extra few percent, and of course they use what's best for the game surely?

Comment

My first cue was a two piece, I then had two 3/4 cues before getting my current cues I use which are one piece. I do prefer one pieces but it is a bit more of a pain transporting a 1 piece. I have to put the back seats down in my car. If you can I'd advise going somewhere where you can try a few cues, you may end up with a 3/4 cue even though you had in mind a 1 piece, just because it feels right.

Comment

It was a simple question. I know that many joint cues are great, but the game also comes down to the mental side and not just the physical. When you are armed with something aligned with what a pro uses surely it can give that extra few percent, and of course they use what's best for the game surely?
                        for their game, not yours.

Feel free to Show me 2 players in the world with the same technique.
                        2 players which you can convincingly say, these two have exactly 100 prct the same technique.
                        sumthing like that, Does not exist,bud.

It's your game. main thing is what works for you.

And of course, you have the right to ask that kind of questions.

thanks to remind me that. :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by jamesg19851 View Post
                          My first cue was a two piece, I then had two 3/4 cues before getting my current cues I use which are one piece. I do prefer one pieces but it is a bit more of a pain transporting a 1 piece. I have to put the back seats down in my car. If you can I'd advise going somewhere where you can try a few cues, you may end up with a 3/4 cue even though you had in mind a 1 piece, just because it feels right.
                          This one .

what feels right for you is the one you gonna have to play with.

excellent post !!

Comment

Pointless getting the same cue as any pro, even if you got it built exactly the same, it may play completely different, I normally buy cues, near enough with the same specs, every one of them plays differently.
                            P.s. One piece every time for me though.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

OK, I have got the picture, a few manufacturers now only let you test out 3/4 cues though. I've never really tried out a newly built single piece one, but the old ones I've tried do feel nice even though they've been cheaply constructed compared to the 3/4s I've played with.

Comment

Working...
                              X