Handicaps in snooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
    Yes, so the best in the league would be like 10 black handicap, giving a 70 start or maybe even more - 15 black start?! But as single frames go, players rarely hit their best break, usually just half that. So, I'd expect someone who is a 10 black handicap to achieve 50 breaks on average in a single frame with the odd ton and plenty 30-40s etc. I'd expect someone who is a 6 black (giving 42 start) to hit 35 breaks on average in a single frame with the odd 70 and plenty of 20-30s.
    Big Splash, you're talking a lot of sense lately my friend. At the SWSA handicap comp they asked people what their highest break was and calculated the handicaps that way.... completely the wrong way of doing it!
    A guy who makes lots of 70s is a better player than a guy whos made 1 century in my eyes.
    "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
      I have a general question regarding handicaps.

Shall we say a player is deemed to be a 6 black handicapper, i.e. he has to give a non-handicapper a 6 black start, correspondingly he would only give a 1 black start to a player deemed to be a five black handicapper and so on.

My question is, using the above as a guide, what sort of break would you expect the 6 black handicapper to CONSISTENTLY achieve in most of the frames played.

I hope that I have explained myself OK.

Thanks for any input.
      I'm total confused now,surely a non handicapper is someone off scratch, so how can a six black handicapper give someone off scratch a start? Doesn't matter really .
      I thought six blacks would be forty eight but It probably will be 42, whoever is getting a 42 start shouldn't be consistently in every frame making thirties or forties, that's making them on seventy or eighty at least ,every frame ,with only just around above or below 110 left on the table, at a rough guess you need near enough a total clearance of what's left to win the frame, at least down to around brown or blue, I can't be bothered to count It properly,tough ask for anyone every frame.Consistent breaks in the twenties , making them up to seventy ahead,would be tough enough if they got the table messy, a handicap to me is to give the player a chance not make the lower player favourite.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
        I'm total confused now,surely a non handicapper is someone off scratch, so how can a six black handicapper give someone off scratch a start? Doesn't matter really .
        I thought six blacks would be forty eight but It probably will be 42, whoever is getting a 42 start shouldn't be consistently in every frame making thirties or forties, that's making them on seventy or eighty at least ,every frame ,with only just around above or below 110 left on the table, at a rough guess you need near enough a total clearance of what's left to win the frame, at least down to around brown or blue, I can't be bothered to count It properly,tough ask for anyone every frame.Consistent breaks in the twenties , making them up to seventy ahead,would be tough enough if they got the table messy, a handicap to me is to give the player a chance not make the lower player favourite.
        Think you have it wrong too lol, the player giving the start is the one who is getting regular 30's

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          Think you have it wrong too lol, the player giving the start is the one who is getting regular 30's
          Oh, hahaha! I get it now, cheers JRC, I'm not very quick sometimes lol.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I think that a point spot in a money game is fine, handicap in a league is also fine (time to evaluate and readjust as necessary) I don't think that handicap in a tournament is a good idea, never get the spot right. I also don't think it will get more players to participate, winning a tourny with a 60 point spot would not be mentioned if I won... I would not brag about that one.. Cheers,
            I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Have just come back to my thread, have been very busy. Hope you all had a super Christmas and I take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy and Healthy New Year.

Some of you have interpreted my post correctly and some haven't.

Basically, the better players in our club are rated as 6's i.e. they have to GIVE a 6 black (42) start to a player who is classed as a zero, i.e. barely knows which end of the cue to point at the ball where a player is deemed to be a 5, he would only give this one a 7 start.

So my question was, what sort of break would a player rated as a 6 be expected to achieve on a regular basis, for example, I am rated as a 6 and I might get two or three 11's or 12's and a 15 or 16 during a frame, with the odd 25 or so thrown in for good measure but, the latter are pretty rare!

Hope I've made it a little more clear.

Comment

Working...
              X