Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sort of energy do you need to play at your best?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What sort of energy do you need to play at your best?

    My snooker form has taken a bit of a hit lately (which it does occasionally) and I have certainly have a lack of physical and mental energy.

    When I'm bouncing I feel more energetic and my minds sharper and when life's a pain off the table I certainly don't have massive amounts of patience when my game's not on.

    I used to be able to flick a switch in my mind but as I get older it's certainly getting tougher.

    I used to have a lot of earlier nights to regain that energy but I'm always reminded by the fact that years ago I used to play all night sometimes.

    What affects the good players on here (if anything); do you have any rules or just play through the yawns!!
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

  • #2
    I aint a great player so I can't add to what you know, just that I've always felt mental fatigue quicker than most players, even considerably older ones. I think when you're at the table overthinking can be detrimental, I'm an overthinker with most things, but it's hard to find the answer to flick that switch where you are totally relaxed.

    Comment


    • #3
      My form is entirely based on my mood and energy levels...

      Really makes you appreciate how amazing the great players are. I go from unplayable to below average within a couple of days of playing... Most frustrating thing in the world.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by pottr View Post
        My form is entirely based on my mood and energy levels...

        Really makes you appreciate how amazing the great players are. I go from unplayable to below average within a couple of days of playing... Most frustrating thing in the world.
        That's the sort of thing I wanted to hear!!

        Not that you're having a bad time occasionally pottr! Just that energy and mood are a big factor to how people perform.

        Things like:

        When you are in a pressure situation and nothings gone well so you just get down and hit them and they all go in! or.....
        The guy just cheesed me off so I really focused and found form.

        I wonder if any of the good players have a trick up their sleeve for when they are tired or a routine they go through to ensure they are totally focused when the match starts.
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

        Comment


        • #5
          I wonder if any of the good players have a trick up their sleeve for when they are tired or a routine they go through to ensure they are totally focused when the match starts.
          In matches, it's different... If it means something, that's all the trick I need... I can usually switch it on when there's a bit of pressure or responsibility to play well.

          In practice, I try to just remind myself to play the correct shot and make sure I walk in correctly. The latter part is tricky coz I've had a few serious knee surgeries and it often causes me more pain than I'm willing to endure.

          Funny thing is, when you're playing well, you don't feel it as much

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, I'm the opposite. Far too much energy and nerves.
            My biggest issue at comps are actually longer pauses between matches. That really sets me back, makes my cue action stone cold again.

            Comment


            • #7
              My league night is a Monday and I spend all day at work going 100mph trying to get everything done in time for me to leave work , just to get home ,changed and out the door to make it in time . I'm knackered and always play poorly . Even just when knocking balls around before /after match

              I play on a Saturday sometimes and always play better than on a Monday

              Comment


              • #8
                mood level?

                is that the same as alcohol level?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Catch 22 View Post
                  My league night is a Monday and I spend all day at work going 100mph trying to get everything done in time for me to leave work , just to get home ,changed and out the door to make it in time . I'm knackered and always play poorly . Even just when knocking balls around before /after match

                  I play on a Saturday sometimes and always play better than on a Monday
                  Yeah that was me for years. Working all over the country and hundreds of phone calls etc etc.

                  Difficult to separate the two and relax as the brains still spinning.

                  I would always try and get on in the last couple of matches if possible and have a coupe of pints to unwind. and remind myself on how I wanted to approach the game (focus areas).
                  Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                  Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                  Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by andy carson View Post
                    mood level?

                    is that the same as alcohol level?
                    Could be couldn't it.

                    We worked out that one of our players has an optimum of 4.5 pints and he is ready to go......I'd be ready to go to sleep.

                    Whenever he's not had a pint he's not relaxed as he works at 100 miles an hour all week and when he gets past the 4.5 pints he is right up for it but you can tell it's not gonna happen.

                    He lost a frame last year in the cup and got absolutely stuffed, he came off and said he was well up for it and then I told him I had taken a bet that he wouldn't pot for fudge as he was 6 pints into it and you can't beat the odds......

                    His mood was right but alcohol intake was not!
                    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Shockerz View Post
                      My snooker form has taken a bit of a hit lately (which it does occasionally) and I have certainly have a lack of physical and mental energy.

                      When I'm bouncing I feel more energetic and my minds sharper and when life's a pain off the table I certainly don't have massive amounts of patience when my game's not on.

                      I used to be able to flick a switch in my mind but as I get older it's certainly getting tougher.

                      I used to have a lot of earlier nights to regain that energy but I'm always reminded by the fact that years ago I used to play all night sometimes.

                      What affects the good players on here (if anything); do you have any rules or just play through the yawns!!

                      Well good to hear I'm not alone mate! Since the end of our lovely long summer this year, my energy levels have struggled exacerbated by sodding viruses that seem to hang around and come back! at present when I solo practice I feel knackered after an hour and a half and am aching in the neck more than usual. beginning of last year I cold do 3 hrs no probs so do feel its down to some seasonal fatigue. I should drink more water to hydrate myself better but its something I struggle to keep up. (cold water is such a bore to drink for me)

                      One thing I do stick to is, if I feel really tired - get off the table. don't mess around banging the balls once you are cream crackered and missing all the ones you should get. Even if it means going home unsatisfied, live to fight better another day.
                      sigpicNo cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cue crafty View Post
                        Well good to hear I'm not alone mate! Since the end of our lovely long summer this year, my energy levels have struggled exacerbated by sodding viruses that seem to hang around and come back! at present when I solo practice I feel knackered after an hour and a half and am aching in the neck more than usual. beginning of last year I cold do 3 hrs no probs so do feel its down to some seasonal fatigue. I should drink more water to hydrate myself better but its something I struggle to keep up. (cold water is such a bore to drink for me)

                        One thing I do stick to is, if I feel really tired - get off the table. don't mess around banging the balls once you are cream crackered and missing all the ones you should get. Even if it means going home unsatisfied, live to fight better another day.
                        Yep. Sounds like you are me!

                        Practicing very little, games gone to pot and struggling to do the basics.

                        Lots of early nights needed and a New Year's attitude required so probably a good time of year to get things back on track.

                        I guess there's a certain age where the basics start to become a lot more effort, I certainly feel that way at the moment; gotta stop being a lightweight.........
                        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X