Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practicing on small 6ft table

Hi all,

I live in a small apartment and I am considering buying a small 6ft table for training purposes. Unfortunately I cannot buy anything larger due to space limitations. My question is: will this actually help in improving my game or will it have detrimental effects given the smaller dimensions of the playing area and the smaller weight of the cue?

My main problem is that I cannot go down to the snooker hall very often due to my working schedule, and I would need something to practice with at home.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks a lot!

Anything is better than nothing, as long as it's the right height you can work on your technique with it, but don't use a different cue, use your playing cue.

Comment

Someone on here many years ago said they forgot about the middle pocket and marked where the black would be on a full size, and practised playing the black, with or without a few reds.

Then they would do blues balls from the baulk area to the black corner pockets, to practise medium length shots.

Then just have fun playing a normal game
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Put the black ball on the blue spot, practice potting it into the corner and going in off in to the middle bag, black off the spot to open the pack.

Comment

Make sure you get a ******* little cue for the cushion shots
          It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Because you're also playing with smaller balls you still need to be accurate. You don't even need to practise potting as you can play the cue ball from the baulk end into the top pockets trying to get it straight in the bag, it definitely helps with cueing straight. Probably helps with pool more than snooker, but it's still good practice.

Comment

I loved playing on my 5 X 2.5ft snooker table, and played to such a high standard on it, I'm pretty sure if I could replicate that form on a 12ft table, I'd have been world number 1 and multi world champion.

I got so good on it, I used to break off, if I didn't pot a ball and make a century, I'd re rack and start again. Had many maximums (107) on it.

I don't think I'd be the player I am today, if I didn't get that schooling on the little table.
              Struggling with the game currently, after 6 years away from it.
              92 centuries
              2 Maximums

8 more centuries, and I'll be a happy man.

Comment

Originally Posted by tbones147 View Post
                I loved playing on my 5 X 2.5ft snooker table, and played to such a high standard on it, I'm pretty sure if I could replicate that form on a 12ft table, I'd have been world number 1 and multi world champion.

I got so good on it, I used to break off, if I didn't pot a ball and make a century, I'd re rack and start again. Had many maximums (107) on it.

I don't think I'd be the player I am today, if I didn't get that schooling on the little table.
                Wow tbones, you seem like a very good player. Have you competed professionally?

Thanks for the info. What cue did you use on that practice table? Was it the small one that came with it, or did you use your normal size cue?

Comment

You can always find a way to make the practice work for you. The important thing is to A. don't get lazy because potting is easier and B. Find a way to push yourself.

Take the opportunity to practice the cue ball off the cushion and pot balls down the rail.

When I moved to the current Condo I'm in now they had an easy 5X10 table, which was great but I got lazy and didn't change my practice routines from the 6x12. Within the last year however my approach has changed and I essentially treat the thing like a pool table by playing more balls along the cushion and playing for long pots. It's improved my medium potting and cushion potting immensely. Nevertheless, I still spend most of my time at the club playing on the full sized table, but the 5x10 has become a fine supplement.

Comment

Originally Posted by ICWiener View Post
                    Wow tbones, you seem like a very good player. Have you competed professionally?

Thanks for the info. What cue did you use on that practice table? Was it the small one that came with it, or did you use your normal size cue?
                    Never pro standard, nowhere near good enough. Shortened a old full length cue that I had, as my room was too small way back then. I still have the table, 39 years later. ( not played on for many years though.)
                    Struggling with the game currently, after 6 years away from it.
                    92 centuries
                    2 Maximums

8 more centuries, and I'll be a happy man.

Comment

Originally Posted by tbones147 View Post
                      Never pro standard, nowhere near good enough. Shortened a old full length cue that I had, as my room was too small way back then. I still have the table, 39 years later. ( not played on for many years though.)
                      Well thanks for the info, I guess I'll give it a shot then.

Comment

Working...
                      X