Free Ball Penalty Confusion?? Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Ball Penalty Confusion?? Please Help

Two friends of mine (player A and player B) were playing a frame last night against each other when player A fouled and 4 points was awarded to player B. As player B could not hit the final remaining red as he was totally snookered on it ( the red was tucked in behind both the black and yellow balls by the black spot), he elected to play the pink as a free ball. He missed the pot and the pink came to rest near to the side cushion and the white was central near to the pink spot. Player A then approached the table and called a foul on player B. As he couldn't directly hit the red as it was behind the yellow and black, his only route to hitting the red was to play off the side cushion, however the pink ball ( which was the previous free ball chosen by player A) obstructed the path to play this shot. Player A claims that as the pink is preventing him from playing the only shot available to him to hit the red then he should be awarded 6 points and a free ball awarded to him?? Apparently he has since consulted with an official WPBSA official regarding this rule and claims he is right ... I am totally baffled by this, I would appreciate your feedback.

The snookering ball is the one closest in a direct straight line between the cue ball and the ball on.

From your description, the yellow/black were the snookering ball/s, not the pink.
    The pink is not a snookering ball, so no foul.
    So all the rest of your scenario is null and void.

IF it was snookered behind the Pink - the nominated free ball for the red - the foul would be the value of the ball on - so 4 penalty points and not 6 you say in your scenario.

I think maybe when he asked the Official WPBSA Official he maybe did not explain it as you did; or this Official WPBSA Official is the security man and not a referee
    no offence to security men everywhere :wink:
    Last edited by DeanH; 13 January 2017, 08:14 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

*should read the free ball chosen by player B

Comment

Does not matter (), the pink is not considered a snookering ball as it is not in a direct straight line between the cue ball and the ball on; so he cannot claim the foul for being snookered by the nominated ball.

"Direct" - a stroke is direct when the cue-ball strikes an object ball without first striking a cushion.
        Last edited by DeanH; 13 January 2017, 08:25 PM.

Comment

That's exactly how I understood the ruling and not as my friend claims. We both know the snooker official well and I'm sure he would have asked him but don't believe that he was in agreement with my mates interpretation regarding the ruling.

Comment

very clever from player B, though. try to pott the pink and if you miss it, leave player A to figure it out with a snooker behind black and yellow.

agree with Dean btw. NO foul .

Comment

Definitely not a foul, as has been said. The effective snookering ball is the one closest to the cue ball which is preventing the straight line shot towards the ball on.
              Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

I agree with everyone's assessment.

For discussion though, what if the pink was the obstructing ball? If you elect to pot the free ball and then miss, resulting in an unintentional fluked snooker with the chosen free ball obstructing the incoming players path to the object ball, is that a foul? I'm guessing it would be.

Comment

Free Ball Penalty Confusion?? Please Help

Intentional or not, if the snookering ball is the nominated free ball it is a foul.

Comment

What Dean said ^^^^^^^
                    Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Another professional snooker referee apparently has since voiced an opinion on the subject to my friend and stated that as the free ball went into a direct line position of a possible escape route to hitting the red then it's a foul, free ball and 4pts awarded to player A ??? Still not entirely convinced with his explanation and where does he get the ruling from cos I've had no luck finding it anywhere.

Comment

Do you have this professional referee's name? Because I think he should be an ex-professional referee. How on earth is the ref supposed to judge if the free ball hit has fallen in to the path of "a possible escape"? "Oh ref! If I come off 16 cushions with lots of screw and right hand side the pink is in the way of my escape, foul!"

Comment

Originally Posted by black21920 View Post
                          Another professional snooker referee apparently has since voiced an opinion on the subject to my friend and stated that as the free ball went into a direct line position of a possible escape route to hitting the red then it's a foul, free ball and 4pts awarded to player A ??? Still not entirely convinced with his explanation and where does he get the ruling from cos I've had no luck finding it anywhere.
                          ?
                          "Direct line position" off a CUSHION? Really?
                          the pink is not a snookering ball as it is not in a direct straight line to the object ball

I am amazed the professional snooker referee is saying this.

ah, I get it,... "to my friend" so your friend has been told this, not anyone else told directly.
                          :biggrin:

Definition of a snooker, is "...direct straight line between the cue ball and the ball(s) on..." it does not say anything about being "in line of a possible escape"
                          Last edited by DeanH; 14 January 2017, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Btw guys I'm with you lot on this one but my mate won't concede that he's wrong. He does know a couple of professional snooker referees as I do, he himself tells me that he is a grade 2 ref as well so it's hard for me to challenge his unquestioned knowledge on this topic as I'm just an amateur league snooker player with no qualifications in refereeing, rules etc

Comment

Originally Posted by black21920 View Post
                              Can't of been explained properly then because he is wrong !
                              "direct line position of a possible escape route" surely does not mean off a cushion first !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X