No announcement yet.

Free Ball Penalty Confusion?? Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No....the pink obstructed the route to the cushion, not cushion then the pink if that makes sense. So his argument is that because the pink ball is preventing him from playing the only shot available to hit the red then the pink or free ball is essentially the snookering ball hence the foul and free ball awarded to player A.

Comment

Originally Posted by black21920 View Post
      No....the pink obstructed the route to the cushion, not cushion then the pink if that makes sense. So his argument is that because the pink ball is preventing him from playing the only shot available to hit the red then the pink or free ball is essentially the snookering ball hence the foul and free ball awarded to player A.
      Does not matter where he wants to play. It matters where the balls come to rest and if the "free ball" is not directly between the cue ball and the object ball AND is NOT the nearest possible snookering ball to the cue ball; that ball is NOT a snookering ball.
      Last edited by DeanH; 14 January 2017, 08:50 PM.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I think maybe your description is not exactly the same description your friend is saying to the "pro snooker ref" :biggrin:
        Last edited by DeanH; 14 January 2017, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          I think maybe your description is not exactly the same description your friend is saying to the "pro snooker ref" :biggrin:
          fair guess

Comment

I am satisfied that it has been explained correctly regarding the positioning of the free ball , the white and also the other snookering balls to these official referees..which my mate has confirmed. The reasons that they have provided for it being a foul have been given in a previous post so maybe what seems like a pretty straightforward basic rule is somehow applied differently here. I'm still not sold on their explanation for it being a foul though which seems to be the general consensus of opinions on here.

Comment

black - I was joshing
              but am seriously worried that these pro refs are making a fundamental error of judgement
              What do the pro refs you know say?
              Last edited by DeanH; 14 January 2017, 09:30 PM.

Comment

My mate and I know the same referees as they also play snooker in our snooker league lol.

Comment

Jan Verhaas sometimes answer this kind of questions on twitter, u might wanna give it a try

Comment

How do you explain that one in 140 characters?

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                      How do you explain that one in 140 characters?
                      By posting a screenshot of the op.

Comment

I can assure the OP that the ONLY place in the rule book where an indirect shot at the ball on is relevant is when trying to play out of an 'impossible' snooker. In such cases the rules say that provided the striker plays either directly or indirectly at a ball on with sufficient strength to have hit it had the obstructing ball not been there, then no miss will be called.

As far as assessing whether there is a snooker, then ALL that matters is the straight direct line path between the cue ball and ball on and whether it is obstructed by a ball not on.
                        Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

A reply from a long standing professional snooker referee and ref-instructor/assessor I know...
                          "The "professional referee" needs to reassessed and down graded. It is not a foul."

I think us all here know that this scenario is not a foul.
                          Black - I hope you talk to the referees you know and your mate and pass on the above

Comment

I will speak to one of the referees mentioned and hear it from him first hand as I am with you lot like I say, I've done plenty of research on this and listened to you all and I'm convinced beyond belief that what my mate and the refs are saying isn't correct.

Comment

Just got off the phone to the referee and as suspected it wasn't explained to him correctly, he was of the impression by my mates description that the nominated free ball pink was the closest ball in line with the red tucked behind the yellow/black balls. When I explained to him where the pink was he just laughed and said that for it to be a foul it has to be the snookering ball , nothing to do with escape routes or playing towards and off a cushion...I haven't spoken to the other ref but expect that he was fed the same duff information.

Comment

great
                                good to know
                                I was thinking that your mate was not describing it precisely or emphasising with wrong terms to give a wrong image
                                Last edited by DeanH; 15 January 2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X