Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between Linseed oil and Cuemaker cue oils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Linseed oil and Cuemaker cue oils?

Hey guys, whats the difference between Linseed oil and Cuemaker cue oils? Are they worth the extra money? Is there a smoother finish?

I think both is raw linseed oil. Smoothest finish you can get is sanding with 600 grit and then add paste wax on it. One coat is enough. Then polish it with cloth and leather cloth. The linseed oil discolors the cue brown. My opinion!

Comment

Anyone has any idea Master Cue Cue Oil is it raw or boiled linseed oil? Seem to dry quite fast.
      Hi Ho The Merry Yo, The Black Went In The Hole~ :snooker:

Comment

Usually the cue oils are a blend of oils not just one oil in particular, Danish oil or Finishing oil is better than linseed on its own imo. Boiled linseed is better than raw for cues, raw takes monthes to cure.

Comment

Originally Posted by Fisherboi View Post
          Anyone has any idea Master Cue Cue Oil is it raw or boiled linseed oil? Seem to dry quite fast.
          It may have linseed in it but wont be just linseed, more likely it'll be something similar to danish oil.

Comment

it contains the tears of orphaned baby unicorns along with the love juices of damascan mermaids.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
              Usually the cue oils are a blend of oils not just one oil in particular, Danish oil or Finishing oil is better than linseed on its own imo. Boiled linseed is better than raw for cues, raw takes monthes to cure.
              Was just reading an old thread on raw linseed oil:

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...aw-linseed-oil

Trevor White (post 9) suggests using raw linseed oil instead of boiled.

"There are other oils available for use on things such as cues, and no, they don't have to be any particular cuemakers "SPECIAL" oil either. Read up on finishing oils online and you'll soon learn what might be best. Cuemakers will more than likely tell you that their oil is something unique and miraculous, but it isn't, it's more or less readily available.

Myself, I use a mix of three ingredients in my finishing oil, and it ain't anything clever at all, but it's very very effective when you know what you're doing with it.

But, if you're using linseed oil alone, I'd always advise raw over boiled."

I wasn't sure how to link to the post itself. Anyway, hope that helps.
              My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
              I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

What i understand about cue makers oil is that they use a mix of several oils and a substance that dries the oil.

Comment

Originally Posted by SCU View Post
                  What i understand about cue makers oil is that they use a mix of several oils and a substance that dries the oil.
                  Raw linseed takes an age to dry, so much so that some say it never dries. Boiling the oil polymerizes the oils molecules so that it dries quickly and produces a harder glossier surface; tung oil can also be 'cooked' as the process is known, and tung oil is the major base oil in danish oil and most other blended finishing oils.
                  The more cooked oil there is in a blend the glossier the finish will be, low lustre oil finishes like danish contain about 25% cooked oil, high gloss finishes like gun stock oil contain about 50% cooked oil

Comment

Thanks for that Vmax, I always wondered how they got that high sheen on my gun stocks.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                    X