Timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing

A lot of pros talk about timing in a shot. Timing enables good reaction of the cue ball, timing makes sure you follow through. However, what is timing, really? And how do you achieve it?

Timing means a few different things to different people. However, if we are talking about effortless cuepower (good reaction on the white ball) then it means one thing only, and that is the length of time that the cue tip is in contact with the white ball. For any given cue tip on a shot played at a given pace where the tip strikes the cue ball at a given spot, the longer that the tip is in contact with the cue ball, the more reaction you will get.
    There has been a lot of confusion over this in recent years on this site. Some people have mistakenly come to the conclusion that the tip is always in contact with the cue ball for a particular length of time, and that this cannot be changed. This is just the opposite of the truth, the spread of disinformation by those who don't fully understand the difference between the scientific and religious methods.
    The best way to lengthen to contact time between the tip and cue ball is to let the cue go through the cue ball with a loose grip. Don't force it.

Comment

Straight to the point, thanks!

Comment

I agree .

I attended a coaching course last year and they said that timing was the length of time the tip is in contact with the White

Comment

Originally Posted by cantpotforshíte View Post
          Timing means a few different things to different people. However, if we are talking about effortless cuepower (good reaction on the white ball) then it means one thing only, and that is the length of time that the cue tip is in contact with the white ball. For any given cue tip on a shot played at a given pace where the tip strikes the cue ball at a given spot, the longer that the tip is in contact with the cue ball, the more reaction you will get.
          There has been a lot of confusion over this in recent years on this site. Some people have mistakenly come to the conclusion that the tip is always in contact with the cue ball for a particular length of time, and that this cannot be changed. This is just the opposite of the truth, the spread of disinformation by those who don't fully understand the difference between the scientific and religious methods.
          The best way to lengthen to contact time between the tip and cue ball is to let the cue go through the cue ball with a loose grip. Don't force it.
          Explain, please.

Comment

Here you go -

Comment

I believe "timing" refers to how well you accelerate the cue through the cue ball - as stated by cantpotfor****e. By this we mean stroking the cue slowly to begin with, and increasing the speed the most during contact with the cue ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                Here you go -

That doesn't explain what he said. He said the tip can be in contact with the ball for varying lengths of time, and this has been proven scientifically. I'd like to see that evidence.

Comment

Errrrr. No he didnt. He referred to "scientific methods", but nowhere did he say there was scientic evidential proof.
                  Smee

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
                    Errrrr. No he didnt. He referred to "scientific methods", but nowhere did he say there was scientic evidential proof.
                    Smee
                    Then what does this mean then?

"There has been a lot of confusion over this in recent years on this site. Some people have mistakenly come to the conclusion that the tip is always in contact with the cue ball for a particular length of time, and that this cannot be changed. This is just the opposite of the truth, the spread of disinformation by those who don't fully understand the difference between the scientific and religious methods."

Tell me what he is saying then, Einstein.

Comment

I've no idea what I was saying. I was merely commenting that you were saying that he had said "this has been proven scientifically" he didn't say that. he said there were scientific methods, whatever that means, but he didn't say there was scientific proof. Granted he may have meant that, or you may have taken it to mean that he said it, but he didn't say it in those words.

Comment

Originally Posted by xavier View Post
                        A lot of pros talk about timing in a shot. Timing enables good reaction of the cue ball, timing makes sure you follow through. However, what is timing, really? And how do you achieve it?
                        Please take your time and watch this video . if you're interested of cours.
                        NiC B , Explains what timing is . you do'nt have to watch the whole video .
                        Watch the part which Starts at : 33: 42 minutes of the video until 40:00 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGCh1IMIQJw

Comment

@xavier

Just in case you can'nt open the link i posted in my previous post ,Try this one . ( from 33:40 minutes until 40:00 minutes of the vid )

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
                            I've no idea what I was saying. I was merely commenting that you were saying that he had said "this has been proven scientifically" he didn't say that. he said there were scientific methods, whatever that means, but he didn't say there was scientific proof. Granted he may have meant that, or you may have taken it to mean that he said it, but he didn't say it in those words.
                            Ok. Thanks for clearing it up.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                              Please take your time and watch this video . if you're interested of cours.
                              NiC B , Explains what timing is . you do'nt have to watch the whole video .
                              Watch the part which Starts at : 33: 42 minutes of the video until 40:00 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGCh1IMIQJw
                              Ramon, thank you very much for posting this clip! I find it extremely informative. In particular, I like how he draws the chart to explain the relationship. Every person's mind absorbs knowledge in its own unique way and for me, this type of mathematical explanation works perfectly. I especially noted how he said that this particular aspect is what separates a 40 break player from a century break player. Myself, I am a 40 break player in a match and beyond that consistency breaks down. In line up practice, of course I do much better, 60's and 70's often. My high break in line up is 93 and I always knew that particular break of 93 just somehow felt different in the delivery of the cue. I have gone back to look at the video of that break and sure enough, it is exactly as Nic Barrow describes. So I know that I can get that feeling of proper acceleration (timing) but this explanation tells me exactly how to do it consistently. This may raise my bar well above the 40's finally and put me on the right path to a century! Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X