Tournament tips/advices , new cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Smeeagain
    apologies for posting twice. I was trying to edit the spot to add the good luck bit at the end but it posted twice somehow.
    You could always delete one you know

Comment

Yes I thought I could but then didnt seem to be able to do it!
      Smee

Comment

Done it now!

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
          So if they allow testing and you bought the first one there why did you buy it if you say it is uncomfortable?
          Smee
          I purchased it when I just began playing, not knowing what feels right or comfortable. Also because of a tight budget.

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
            Right Im going to say a few things you might not like, but please take it in the spirit in which it is intended. I am no snooker expert but I have competed and coached at a high level in another sport and a lot of the approach is the same.

You say you are 19 and that you have been playing for a year. So you started at 18. In another post you say you want to play professionally. You've probably started way too late - there are always exceptions to the rule, but you've been playing for a year, you don't say how often you play, but form the other post, fi I recall correctly you can make breaks of around 30. That suggests that, after a year, you aren't exhibiting any outstanding prodigy type natural talent. So you'll have to work at it. nothing wrong with that, but starting at your age I'd say you were a long way off becoming a pro if ever at all. You say you are entering your first tournament and ask for advice about going through the tournament comfortably. What on earth makes you think with no competition experience and 30 odd breaks that you will even get past the first round let alone go through the tournament? That could be seen as somewhat insulting or disrespectful to your opposition to even think that.

Depends on the standard of the tournament to be honest.

But now you say the wight of your cue is unusual - but in the other post about turning professional you say it is very evenly balanced - so it either is or it isn't. Make your mind up or correct whichever post is wrong.
            A more expensive cue does not necessarily, if at all, make a better player, certainly not at your level, so do not assume that you will be better by spending more money. and don't think that because a cue has the ROS name on it that it will be a good cue. He doesn't play with the cues that have his name on as I recall (he plays with a Jhn parries cue I believe).

I would suggest you do a Google search on the four levels of competence - it starts with unconscious incompetent (one who does not know who bad they are at something, or rather how far away they are form the required standard), to conscious incompetent (someone who does know how bad or far away from the required standard that they are like me with snooker and singing), moving up to conscious competent (someone who is good at something when they focus and think about it) through to unconscious competent - someone who is god at it without having to think about it. Selby ROS etc all have to think about it but to a certain degree have an amount of unconscious competent about them. You are very much the first level i.e. unconscious incompetent. You want to play pro but have never played a tournament. Sure, everyone has to start somewhere and have aims, dream and ambitions, and I admire you for that, but I would say step back for a moment - do you truly believe, 100%, deep down, being totally honest with yourself, that it is viable fro you to be a professional snooker player. Maybe it is.

Good luck.

Smee
            I think you got me wrong, I was only curious about what it takes to play professionally. (The process and steps for example) I have never thought I could turn pro and I do agree that I started way too late and do not possess any raw natural talent.

About the cue, I meant to say that the balance of the weight is around the middle of the shaft rather than the joint. So sorry for being unclear about this!

Thank you so much for such an insightful reply nonetheless. I appreciate your time and effort!

I got myself a new cue and it does play much more comfortably.
            Last edited by burgerunderwear; 18 April 2017, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Good on you pal

My advice would be to put in as much practice as you can, then go ahead and give it your best. Enjoy it. If/when you lose don't be disheartened but use the experience to improve you game and give you motivation to practice more for the next time

Comment

Get plenty of practice in, practice with better players, learn from them. Understand your limitations (we all have them) and play to your strengths.
                Don't expect anything from the 1st competition, just try your best and see what happens- please report back and let us know how you get on
                "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                  Get plenty of practice in, practice with better players, learn from them. Understand your limitations (we all have them) and play to your strengths.
                  Don't expect anything from the 1st competition, just try your best and see what happens- please report back and let us know how you get on
                  Originally Posted by jimev View Post
                  Good on you pal

My advice would be to put in as much practice as you can, then go ahead and give it your best. Enjoy it. If/when you lose don't be disheartened but use the experience to improve you game and give you motivation to practice more for the next time
                  Thank you so much for the support, guys.

Much appreciated

Comment

Working...
                  X