Quick rule clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick rule clarification

Hi all, in a match yesterday the white was tight up inbetween the blue and the middle of the baulk cushion. The reds were all around the usual pink/black area. The only way out of the snooker was to play the white into the jaws of a baulk pocket and hope for the best! The white was hit with some pace into the jaws of the green pocket, rattled, jumped over the green and down to towards the pack, hitting a red. I called a foul on myself for jumping over a ball but my mate refused the foul saying its only a foul to directly jump over a ball not if it hits a cushion first. I thought i was pretty up on the rules but this one has never cropped up before!

Your partner was right. F.

Comment

Cheers! I knew jumping over a ball or part of a ball directly was a foul but not after making contact with another ball first, but cushion first id never really thought about!

Comment

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
        Your partner was right. F.
        Sorry, Frank, your response is not correct. Jumping over a ball as described is still a foul stroke even when the cushion is struck first. The situation described by Dynamite is essentially an elaborate version of this:

which would be a foul stroke if played on a snooker table. The Rule to reference is Section 2., Rule 20. and the only way for a "jump shot" to be legal would be if the cue ball makes legal contact with a ball on, then jumps over some other ball, or if the cue ball makes legal contact with a ball on, strikes cushion, and then proceeds to jump over that same ball with which it had previously first made contact.

Dynamite147, your initial instinct was correct: foul stroke. Legal contact with a ball on MUST be established first before any "jump shot" can legally occur, cushion or no. Sounds like quite an impressive escape attempt though!

Comment

It is a foul.
          This scenario of hitting a cushion before jumping a ball with no initial legal contact before hand is a foul.
          edit... yep as acesinc states

acesnic - I believe in UK pool the use of a cushion to jump it is also a foul, as well as in snooker.
          Last edited by DeanH; 1 May 2017, 12:34 PM.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

surely its a snookering ball

Comment

Originally Posted by golferson123 View Post
              surely its a snookering ball
              it could be but not necessarily

in the OP the Green is not a snookering ball; regardless anyway if the jumped ball is the snookering ball or not

Sec 2.20 A jump shot is made when the cue ball passes over any part of an object ball, whether touching it in the process or not, except:
              (a) when the cue ball first strikes one object ball and then jumps over another ball;
              (b) when the cue ball jumps and strikes an object ball, but does not land on the far side of that ball;
              (c) when, after striking an object ball lawfully, the cue ball jumps over that ball after hitting a cushion or another ball.

the OP, the jump occurs before any legal contact, so a foul
              Last edited by DeanH; 1 May 2017, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Wasnt trying to jump it haha was simply the only way of getting the cue ball down the other end of the table by using the jaws

Comment

Originally Posted by Dynamite147 View Post
                  Wasnt trying to jump it haha was simply the only way of getting the cue ball down the other end of the table by using the jaws
                  deliberate or not, not regarded

so, in the OP you were right

Comment

Thanks for the replies, glad it was one of those situations which doesnt occur too often. Glad i got it right even though he wouldnt take the foul, what other sport than snooker would one player want the foul to be called against him and his opponent refuse. This is why i love our sport! The fact i could not recall a pro ever using a cushion to cushion to escape a tricky snooker in this way led me to assume it not to be a legal stroke also

Comment

Working...
                    X