Under floor heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under floor heating

I'm having a room built on the back of my house (uk) in a couple of months and I plan to put a snooker table in there. Is under floor heating a good option or is it something to keep clear of?

Cheers,

I would go for Air-Conditioning so the room can be at a constant temperature. Heat pumps are easy to install and economical to run. I think under floor heating has it's uses but mainly in a commercial environment - and can be very problematic if it goes wrong.

Comment

Originally Posted by SuperchargedS2K View Post
      I'm having a room built on the back of my house (uk) in a couple of months and I plan to put a snooker table in there. Is under floor heating a good option or is it something to keep clear of?

Cheers,
      Underfloor heating seems to be all the rage now that's for sure.

Obviously it's a convected heat so you will lose a bit to the table as it rises but I would think it negligible. Radiators with stats on have always been the normal choice as 70 percent of the heat is convected and as long as nothing under the table it should create an air current. The other 30 percent is radiated so uou get an immediate gain.

If you use underfloor then ensure you have a decent and recommended screed above it to take the concentrated force from the table weight, I would speak to the manufacturers of the pipe suppliers for advice and confirmation they are happy (tel numbers normally of sales leaflet).

Biggest problem I can see is a potential leak as you will be stuffed if you need to get to it!!.

Obviously you could find it with an infra red camera but who wants the hassle and it does happen.

Personally rads do the job and as long as you have room for them thats fine.
      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by circle View Post
        I would go for Air-Conditioning so the room can be at a constant temperature. Heat pumps are easy to install and economical to run. I think under floor heating has it's uses but mainly in a commercial environment - and can be very problematic if it goes wrong.
        Thats a good call.

If you can control from heating to air con then great for summer and winter, not cheap though.

Comment

Underfloor heating doesn't need to be fed by water pipes , you can use electrical mats .

But it won't generate the constant heat you would need .
          Last edited by Neil Taperell; 11 June 2017, 05:11 PM.
          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
            Underfloor heating doesn't need to be fed by water pipes , you can use electrical mats .

But it won't generate the constant heat you would need .
            I wouldn't go that way personally, ok for bathrooms but as you say, on a constant heat basis not the best option.

Good debate though.
            Last edited by Neil Taperell; 11 June 2017, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Create a pad stone for each table leg to sit on. The majority of systems are single pipe i.e. No joints and leaks are extremely rare. Electric underfloor needs a 2nd mortgage to run it unless you can run it off solar or other renewable electricity source. If you plan to keep the room constantly heated you'd need to be able to run a new zone to the room for the existing heating system which may or may not be practical. Feel free to to ask for advice on the different systems as I do a lot of whole house refute with underfloor.

Comment

Originally Posted by GasMonkey View Post
                Create a pad stone for each table leg to sit on. The majority of systems are single pipe i.e. No joints and leaks are extremely rare. Electric underfloor needs a 2nd mortgage to run it unless you can run it off solar or other renewable electricity source. If you plan to keep the room constantly heated you'd need to be able to run a new zone to the room for the existing heating system which may or may not be practical. Feel free to to ask for advice on the different systems as I do a lot of whole house refute with underfloor.
                Padstones is a good idea as it takes the weight of the table out of the equation.

Comment

Thanks for all your responces. Lots to think about, luckily I've got a few months to think this over.

Comment

Working...
                  X