Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get a tight rack

Hi

I hope someone can help. The question si about a pool table, but Im hoping the good folks who frequent this forum will have the answer. We play in local pub based league. The table we play on is levelled, and gets recovered regularly and cleaned and brushed before matches, and we have a set of Aramith Premier Balls that are kept for matches only. But the triangle (moulded plastic type found in most pubs) does not give tight rack and breaking off can produce some random results. I once remember seeing american pool on tv and they had some type of triangle device that pulls the balls in tight, with a clamp I think, but can't find anything similar here in the uk. We did buy a new triangle but it didn't really help, once looking for something that will tighten the rack as we set it up. We tried another set of balls and also a wooden triangle but nothing seems to set them up tightly.

Anyone got any suggestions/ideas?

This might be what you are after :

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...=POOL+TRIANGLE
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

aim your sights younger...... oh... errr push last row of reds up when in triangle usually works.

Comment

I agree with Andy. The trouble with these plastic racks is that they're too small. Get a bigger triangle and use your fingers to push the balls tight, not too hard, then take the triangle off without moving the balls. If the triangle is dirty inside it'll pull the balls with it when you take it away, so clean it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Smeeagain View Post
          Hi

I hope someone can help. The question si about a pool table, but Im hoping the good folks who frequent this forum will have the answer. We play in local pub based league. The table we play on is levelled, and gets recovered regularly and cleaned and brushed before matches, and we have a set of Aramith Premier Balls that are kept for matches only. But the triangle (moulded plastic type found in most pubs) does not give tight rack and breaking off can produce some random results. I once remember seeing american pool on tv and they had some type of triangle device that pulls the balls in tight, with a clamp I think, but can't find anything similar here in the uk. We did buy a new triangle but it didn't really help, once looking for something that will tighten the rack as we set it up. We tried another set of balls and also a wooden triangle but nothing seems to set them up tightly.

Anyone got any suggestions/ideas?
          You're referring to a Sardo rack. To work properly the table must be "tapped" to create tiny dents in the cloth to stop the balls rolling out. The process of tapping the tables has made rotation games i.e. 9/10 ball a joke with very predictable break results. The main culprit for loose racks on napped cloths is people positioning the rack upwards against the nap. The balls automatically spread apart as the nap relaxes back to settle. A clean rigid triangle helps and the is a knack to getting consistently tight racks.

Comment

Wonderbra might be an option

Comment

We use the MagicRacks or similiar products from other brands. They're very thin plastic templates with little holes to keep the balls in tight rack. It gives a very predictable and controllable break off. Don't know if there's any for english pool tho, if that's your game.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magic-Ball-R...-/231866244485

Comment

Well I asked her but she slapped me down

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                  I agree with Andy. The trouble with these plastic racks is that they're too small. Get a bigger triangle and use your fingers to push the balls tight, not too hard, then take the triangle off without moving the balls. If the triangle is dirty inside it'll pull the balls with it when you take it away, so clean it.
                  You need a magic rack or a rack with the perfect angle (like a Delta Rack very expensive) so the balls are served perfectly.

Trouble is in most places players rack the head ball any place in the vacinity of the spot. Every break chases little indents in the cloth. So the table becomes very hard to rack because of all these little dents. All around where the balls need to sit for a proper tight rack.

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                    So i got one of these at last. Or rather my wife did - she bought it for my birthday. I took it to a match tonight and everyone loved it and several folk asked where they could buy it. I thought it was absolutely perfect - excellent build quality and easy to use. Worked every time. Absolutely no complaints. Exactly what I was looking for - so thanks to Neil for pointing me in the right direction, and thanks to Gareth for supplying it

Smee

Comment

Working...
                    X