Quick questions on snooker rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick questions on snooker rules

1. After potting the red ball, I tried to pot the pink ball but cue ball went into the pocket after cue ball touches the pink ball

Opponent gets 6 points ? as my intended ball on was pink ?

2.After potting the red ball, I tried to pot the pot the pink ball, but I scratched from miscue. Pink ball was not hit by cue ball.

Opponent gets 6 points ? as my intended ball on was pink ? even though cue ball did not touch?

Yes and Yes .....

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
      Yes and Yes .....
      So when you pot a color ball, you need to call what color if not obvious.

Like when you snooker yourself by mistake after potting red ball, you need to call color of the ball before going around the cushions ?

Comment

Yes if it's not obvious what you are going for you must nominate which colour, then if a mistake is made then the foul points can be awarded to suit the colours value

Comment

Yes if it's not obvious what you are going for you must nominate which colour, then if a mistake is made then the foul points can be awarded to suit the colours value
          Great Thanks !

Comment

How about this case ?
            After potting red, you intend to hit Blue ball
            However you miscue and hit the Pink instead.

What happens ? Is this foul and opponent gets 6 points ?
            If you intend to hit Pink in the first place, it is not a foul

Comment

Foul six. Highest foul counts.
              http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerdad View Post
                Foul six. Highest foul counts.
                Yes, the nominated ball was blue, but you've first made contact with a ball not on, so the higher penalty (6) applies.

If you'd nominated the blue and, say hit the green first, then it would have been a five point penalty (higher of the two penalties again).
                Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Bluesky - in addition to the above and in summary - The penalty points awarded for any foul will be FOUR or the value of the ball on if higher than four or the higher value of the balls concerned.

Another scenario for you (which I had in the club doubles final ), the ball on was Blue, the cue ball contacts the Blue, then contacts the Pink and the cue ball goes into the pocket. My opponent said "Six", I corrected him as the penalty is five as I had hit the ball on with the first contact, any subsequent contacts are irrelevant as the first contact is paramount and the Pink is not "concerned" as per the ruling.
                  IF I had hit the Blue, the cue ball then contacts the Pink and the Pink goes in the pocket, the Pink is now "concerned" as it has been illegally pocketed; penalty is Six, the value of the pink being higher.
                  Of course you can describe many many scenarios but the summary above helps in the possibilities.

To download a copy of the rules go to:
                  http://www.wpbsa.com/governance/rules-of-snooker/
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Snooker Rules, Section 3, Rule 11 (d) (iii) suggests 7 penaly points awarded for playing at Reds in successive strokes.
                    In that case, if after potting red the Blue is nominated but missed, and the cue ball strikes a red ball, would the penalty be 5 points (for missing Blue) or 7 points for playing at Reds in successive strokes?

Comment

Working...
                    X