• is this a free ball ?

is this a free ball ?

http://tinypic.com/r/2rfeqlx/9

http://i63.tinypic.com/2rfeqlx.jpg

Comment

https://ibb.co/j5fFev

try this one ... sorry

Comment

I'd say if the ball on is the red, then yes, if it's the blue/green (I can't tell which it is) then no, I don't think the cushions count in free ball situations.

Comment

Following a foul the incoming player approaches the table should the referee give a free ball? (your on the last red on the table, ball in way is green (ish)

Comment

ball on is red
            (last one)

Comment

Yes free ball, how can it not be ??

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                Yes free ball, how can it not be ??
                Because the nearest obstruction to the cue ball is the curved part of the cushion adjacent to the centre pocket. Curved parts of cushions are specifically excluded in the rules.
                Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
                  Because the nearest obstruction to the cue ball is the curved part of the cushion adjacent to the centre pocket. Curved parts of cushions are specifically excluded in the rules.
                  Yikes! If i ended up in this situation I would not be too happy with this interpretation of the rule

Comment

The logic being that if the Green were not there then the whole ball would not be available due to the curved part of the pocket?

Garbage, and a difficult sell in a match, without a copy of the rules and a very clear example\explanation of this.

Comment

An inch or so further along the cushion with all balls in exactly the same position and relation to each other and the curve of the jaw not in the picture and only the straight of the cushion, it would be a free ball?
                      Not sure if the aspect of the jaw of a pocket and its ruling was meant in this case, i.e. it was meant for scenarios where the cue ball or object ball are physically in the pocket opening and the curve is physically impeded a straight shot - "jawed"
                      hmm, time to ponder this one

As mentioned above, by the wording of the rule:
                      (e) The cue-ball cannot be snookered by a cushion. If the curved face of a cushion obstructs the cue-ball and is closer to the cue-ball than any obstructing ball not on, the cue-ball is not snookered.
                      the scenario in the image is NOT a free ball - but as said previously a real bugger in a match with no officiating referee - beers may fly! :biggrin:
                      See http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...f-you-have-one and the attachment 4 and "Jaw" section; this exact scenario is not shown but the concept and explanation does cover it.
                      Last edited by DeanH; 7 August 2017, 10:31 AM.
                      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        An inch or so further along the cushion with all balls in exactly the same position and relation to each other and the curve of the jaw not in the picture and only the straight of the cushion, it would be a free ball?
                        Not sure if the aspect of the jaw of a pocket and its ruling was meant in this case, i.e. it was meant for scenarios where the cue ball or object ball are physically in the pocket opening and the curve is physically impeded a straight shot - "jawed"
                        hmm, time to ponder this one
                        That's right. Move the three balls down the table an inch, and there would be a free ball.

I'm sure most referees believe that the rule is only meant to apply when the centre of the cue ball lies outside the area bounded by the straight cushions - ie in the jaws of a pocket, but that isn't what's actually written. Let's hope Jan Verhaaas and his colleagues on the rules committee clarify the wording soon.

Comment

That's right. Move the three balls down the table an inch, and there would be a free ball.

I'm sure most referees believe that the rule is only meant to apply when the centre of the cue ball lies outside the area bounded by the straight cushions - ie in the jaws of a pocket, but that isn't what's actually written. Let's hope Jan Verhaaas and his colleagues on the rules committee clarify the wording soon.
                          I think you are right with what most refs and "nearly every" player will think....
                          there does seem to be an advantage gained by the offender through a foul in this scenario
                          when are the committee sitting next? :biggrin:
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

If this is really no free ball there is a wide open hole in the rulebook. Common sense should tell you that this has to be a free ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
                              If this is really no free ball there is a wide open hole in the rulebook. Common sense should tell you that this has to be a free ball.
                              I wholeheartedly agree!

Comment

Working...
                              X