Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• importance of dominant eye

hello

i have a question regarding dominant eye and its importance!

okey!
    today i pot 100 straight blacks off its spot ( straight shot ) and cue ball distance 10 inches. i played 100 shots while the black pocket was towards my right side of body and i got 99 out of 100 pots.

i tried from the other side of the table, same distance black off its spot. now from this side of the table the pocket was towards my left side. i got 85 out of 100 pots.

little information about where i cue, and dominant eye :
    i am right handed player, i cue in the center of the chin, and i am right eye dominant but i never use my dominant eye, i just know that my right eye is dominant.

NOW:
    i asked a friend of mine just becaz i wanted to know the theory behind this.
    my friend is right handed player, got his left eye dominant . but he missed when the pocket is towards his left and he pots better when the pocket is towards his right

CONCLUSION:
    after thinking ... i realized maybe , maybe becaz the right eye is closer to right pocket we get it, and if its dominant it makes it favorite , and thats why i missed few pots when the pocket was to the left of my body, which shows that my left eye which is not my dominant is closer to that pocket

i would like to know the theory behind this. ofcourse if the pocket is to one's right side of body , then its closer to right eye. and the pocket will be closer to the left eye if the pocket is to the left side of one's body.
    but the difference is that which eye is the dominant eye

now i thought of few questions in relation to this problem?

if you favor the right side pocket since you are right eye dominant. should one be lining up with right eye?
    and if you miss pots when the pocket is to the left side of the body, and ofcourse you are right eye dominate, would you line up with left eye or right eye

sorry guys, it might be confusing but i just wanted to see how others think about this problem theoretically

My advice would be to forget about it and not worry...

You don't need to control what your eyes do... Just make sure you have solid fundamentals and your brain will make sure your eyes are in the right place unconsciously...

The whole, eye here, eye there debate is pseudo science.

Comment

What he said,plus one other comment...you should only be looking at the pocket when you are standing behind the shot and using BOTH eyes. When you get down into the address position you only use the one eye for SIGHTING and Hendry aside, you should not look at the pocket at all and focus on the object ball until you start feathering and then look at the cueball. At time of strike your sighting eye (not necessarily dominant just preferred) should be focused on object ball.
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        What he said,plus one other comment...you should only be looking at the pocket when you are standing behind the shot and using BOTH eyes. When you get down into the address position you only use the one eye for SIGHTING and Hendry aside, you should not look at the pocket at all and focus on the object ball until you start feathering and then look at the cueball. At time of strike your sighting eye (not necessarily dominant just preferred) should be focused on object ball.
        well, i think i play like hendry

when i feature, i do like this
        cueball, object, pocket........ cueball, object pocket. although i sometimes look at the pocket directly during this process, but most of the time its just a flick of the eyes

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
          My advice would be to forget about it and not worry...

You don't need to control what your eyes do... Just make sure you have solid fundamentals and your brain will make sure your eyes are in the right place unconsciously...

The whole, eye here, eye there debate is pseudo science.
          i agree with u , its complicated

Comment

Originally Posted by highestbreak50 View Post
            well, i think i play like hendry

when i feature, i do like this
            cueball, object, pocket........ cueball, object pocket. although i sometimes look at the pocket directly during this process, but most of the time its just a flick of the eyes
            Do you want to play like yourself or be a poor carbon copy of Hendry. Stop looking at the pocket while you're down on the shot. You will know where it is and remember the grip hand delivery will follow the eyes because it's hand-eye coordination.
            Terry Davidson

Comment

It's not complicated, the theory behind it all and why you should and blah blah third moon of Jupiter etc... it makes sense...

I'm just telling you unequivocally that it's entirely irrelevant in terms of helping anyone improve.

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                Do you want to play like yourself or be a poor carbon copy of Hendry. Stop looking at the pocket while you're down on the shot. You will know where it is and remember the grip hand delivery will follow the eyes because it's hand-eye coordination.
                i dont wanna copy anyone, this is how i have been playing for years, you recon i should change that, and stop looking at pocket?
                if i stop looking at pocket then my eye start focusing more on object ball and try to find a spot on object ball , and my aiming system will change. like some people play angle system. they learn angles, and when they see half ball, they just hit half of the object , and if quarter, they half the object ball, and they divide that half into 2 and hit half of it. i have seen players who dont look at pocket at all and they never care about anyline towards pocket, they just divide the object ball

i m not hendry, i am myself

Comment

Dominant eye started when Joe Davis was the hero and he had the cue under his left eye but what wasn't realized is Joe was almost blind in his right eye and needed to get the cue to the left as it was the only eye he had. It makes not one bit of difference where your cue is aligned although there are a lot of coaches out there making money off that thedory.

Of more and primary importance is your set-up and you shouldn't change the set-up to accommodate sighting from your dominant eye by moving the cue more underneath it. I sight out of my left eye as the vision is the strongest and I also turn my head slightly to the right to ease pressure on the top of my spine/neck. The first rule of the set-up is COMFORT.
                  Terry Davidson

Comment

This old chestnut...

You need to be looking at the OB 100% when you hit the ball, that's where you should be looking at...

BUT

If you're thinking about 'where am I looking?' that's the road to ruin.

The Internet and forums like this have killed players improving...

It used to be, talk to someone, get simple advice and practice like mad til it sticks...

Bow it's 50 unnecessary questions about sighting nuances, slight changes in grip and front, rear pause... it's all absolute crap.

Decide your shot... Spot the line of the shot... Walk in to the shot on that line... Decent fundamentals... Deliver the cue...

The rest and the bits in between and the hows and what nots are learned on the practice table... They cannot be taught or even explained correctly from the written word... It simply does not translate.

Comment

like some people play angle system. they learn angles, and when they see half ball, they just hit half of the object , and if quarter, they half the object ball, and they divide that half into 2 and hit half of it. i have seen players who dont look at pocket at all and they never care about anyline towards pocket, they just divide the object ball
                      Angle system...

There's no such thing.

If you miss thick, aim thinner next time.
                      If you miss thin, aim thicker next time...

Not really a system, that's ABC of rational problem solving.

Comment

This old chestnut...

You need to be looking at the OB 100% when you hit the ball, that's where you should be looking at...

BUT

If you're thinking about 'where am I looking?' that's the road to ruin.

The Internet and forums like this have killed players improving...

It used to be, talk to someone, get simple advice and practice like mad til it sticks...

Bow it's 50 unnecessary questions about sighting nuances, slight changes in grip and front, rear pause... it's all absolute crap.

Decide your shot... Spot the line of the shot... Walk in to the shot on that line... Decent fundamentals... Deliver the cue...

The rest and the bits in between and the hows and what nots are learned on the practice table... They cannot be taught or even explained correctly from the written word... It simply does not translate.
                        my eyes are on object ball when i deliver, but its so quick that i dont spend more than 0.5 seconds looking at the object ball

while i feature i look at every thing, but as i slowly bring the cue back, i keep looking at the cueball, and in the slight backpause i look at object ball but also an indirect look at the pocket then i deliver the cue.

Comment

Angle system...

There's no such thing.

If you miss thick, aim thinner next time.
                          If you miss thin, aim thicker next time...

Not really a system, that's ABC of rational problem solving.
                          there are atleast 3 players in my club who play like this, let me give u an example one of them talked today
                          he said, put the cueball on brown spot and blue on its spot. and now just divide the blue into 2 parts, and hit the other half of it and you will pot the ball. he said this is perfect half ball and he uses the same aiming system for all of his shots

although i never use this method

another example of this system is that, when you play a break off shot, you always try to hit half of the last red.

and also if you wanna play thin safety, just aim for a red, divide it into 2, then divide that half into 2 again, and you will get a very thin contact all the time

Comment

What I will say, at least they are keen enough to care to assign some meaning to the game, whatever it is.

another example of this system is that, when you play a break off shot, you always try to hit half of the last red.
                            That's not a system though is it? That's just experience telling you to hit the last red to give you the best chance of landing on the baulk cushion... when you put one leg in front of the other to go up the stairs, you don't call it a system.

Attributing a system to something as mundane as working out the potting angle makes it seem very complicated and overimportant... When actually, it's what a 5 year old on a pool table would try to do without realising it.

and also if you wanna play thin safety, just aim for a red, divide it into 2, then divide that half into 2 again, and you will get a very thin contact all the time
                            Or... try this...

just hit it thin. A lot easier than worring about all those dividing factors.

Feel like I'm taking ****ing crazy pills on this forum half the time... Why as a society we feel the need to conflate simple things... searching for meaning when there isn't any profound meaning to find. Are we all that insecure?

Comment

What I will say, at least they are keen enough to care to assign some meaning to the game, whatever it is.

That's not a system though is it? That's just experience telling you to hit the last red to give you the best chance of landing on the baulk cushion... when you put one leg in front of the other to go up the stairs, you don't call it a system.

Attributing a system to something as mundane as working out the potting angle makes it seem very complicated and overimportant... When actually, it's what a 5 year old on a pool table would try to do without realising it.

Or... try this...

just hit it thin. A lot easier than worring about all those dividing factors.

Feel like I'm taking ****ing crazy pills on this forum half the time... Why as a society we feel the need to conflate simple things... searching for meaning when there isn't any profound meaning to find. Are we all that insecure?
                              true, thats wat i was thinking, i asked him what if theres a very simple thin ****, how are going to divide that into many parts, lol
                              he said, he can figure that out by his angle knowledge, since he can detect and angle , 1/2 1/3 1/4 1/8 etc
                              he is so used to that angle that if u ask him to setup any angle pot, he will set u up

its not just this forum, its our mind. we doubt, we experiment, and we try , we listen, and then we choose the best at the end

Comment

Working...
                              X