No announcement yet.

How to get an ebony cue butt to shine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get an ebony cue butt to shine?

Just wondering if anyone on the forum has any insight into how you can get an ebony cue butt from looking a bit dull to bringing it back to looking nice and glossy and shiny looking again? I've asked this question before on a previous post but didn't really get any proper answers on it. Also, can you use wire wool on an ebony butt before refinishing it or will it ruin it? I've had some Lord Sheraton Caretaker Wood Balsam for quite a while but I'm reluctant to use it on the cue butt in case it goes all sticky and horrible and not sure about wire wooling an ebony cue butt or not before refinishing it.

Any advice on this would be great.
    Last edited by dmorley85; 6 September 2017, 11:56 PM.

How to get an ebony cue butt to shine?

soft cloth dip in linseed oil, gently rub in, leave overnight & lots of elbow grease with a soft cloth
    if needed repeat
    Last edited by matthias; 7 September 2017, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by dmorley85 View Post
      Just wondering if anyone on the forum has any insight into how you can get an ebony cue butt from looking a bit dull to bringing it back to looking nice and glossy and shiny looking again? I've asked this question before on a previous post but didn't really get any proper answers on it. Also, can you use wire wool on an ebony butt before refinishing it or will it ruin it? I've had some Lord Sheraton Caretaker Wood Balsam for quite a while but I'm reluctant to use it on the cue butt in case it goes all sticky and horrible and not sure about wire wooling an ebony cue butt or not before refinishing it.

Any advice on this would be great.
      What I do.

Rub down with 0000 steel wool soaked in linseed oil.
      Then use 2000 grade wet/dry sandpaper.
      Soak in linseed oil overnight.
      Rub linseed off the next day then buff with A4 paper.
      I then use lemon oil/beeswax to get rid of the stickiness.
      Job done.

If the butt is lacquered it will need to be stripped back to the bare wood.

Comment

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
        What I do.

Job done.

Thanks for the reply. Will using wire wool & sandpaper on the ebony not scratch & ruin it?

Comment

Originally Posted by dmorley85 View Post
          Thanks for the reply. Will using wire wool & sandpaper on the ebony not scratch & ruin it?
          I use 0000 wire wools and 2/3000 grit paper as they are finishing grades and removed very, very little.

You would use these grades when finishing / oiling a butt (including ebony).
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
            What I do.

Job done.

Yep, that's the way to go imo.

You can also use Wax . Not sure , but i think Sanman had a vid somewhere in this forum showing how to do it .

Comment

Working...
            X