Alex Higgins Foul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alex Higgins Foul?

not quite right, if the referee considers the cue ball is not going anywhere near a pocket with direction and speed he will call the frame before the cue ball stops moving.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
      The rules of snooker and English pool are just plain stupid. Rules should be there to ensure a player does not gain advantage by cheating - they should not be there so some bottom inspector can call foul at the drop of a hat. Quite why we must all wait with bated breath whilst a cue ball stops rolling after the black has dropped is beyond me - in all my years of watching and playing, i have never seen a cue ball speed up and suddenly veer into a pocket.
      https://youtu.be/BhMDSTNY_l0

Scroll to 1 hour, 25 min,30 seconds
      Is this not a foul in 9 ball?

Comment

Originally Posted by acesinc View Post
        Minor addition to this that may not be obvious after reading the answer above. I bring this up because I was spectating when I saw this incident occur and the two players did not know what to do...

If you had ball in hand prior to the initial break-off (in other words, you were preparing to break off with the opening stroke), and dropped White disturbing one of the baulk colours, then it would not be a foul. At that time, no balls are yet in play so it would be no foul the balls reset, and the same player would take the break-off. By the sound of your story, this incident occurred mid-frame in which case it is of course a foul as you disturbed balls in play as stated by Londonlad. Also note that in your scenario, the incoming striker would NOT have ball in hand; he has the usual options with the cue ball and other balls remaining where they came to rest after you dropped it. If you dropped it and it did not disturb any other balls, then of course, no foul and you can retrieve the cue ball and continue to play your ball in hand.

As an addendum, it must be noted that in Scarborough, Canada, the offending player (the person dropping the cue ball) would be shot on sight for being so drunk.
        gpfan

:snooker:

Comment

Working...
        X