Snooker Cue Length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker Cue Length

Help needed, how can I determine which is the correct length of snooker cue for me? I am currently using a 58" cue and my height is around 5' 10". Is it just personal preference and what suits my game, or is there a specific formula i.e. cue length in relation to body height. Please help!!

100% personal preference, main thing is that you feel comfortable with it.

Comment

Your cue length of 58" is normal for your height
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by matthias View Post
        100% personal preference, main thing is that you feel comfortable with it.
        Thankyou Matthias. 👍

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
          Thanks Terry, yes, this length certainly feels right for me. 👍

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
            I play with a 58" cue myself but find that I have my grip hand some two to three inches up the butt. I am only 5ft 6 ins tall and so a shorter cue would probably be better for me. I can't find anyone local who could shorten it for me though.

Comment

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
              I play with a 58" cue myself but find that I have my grip hand some two to three inches up the butt. I am only 5ft 6 ins tall and so a shorter cue would probably be better for me. I can't find anyone local who could shorten it for me though.
              The problem with shortening a cue is that if it is cut off at the tip end it needs to be re-tapered and if cut off at the butt end it will be a couple of millimeters thinner in your hand and the balance will change.
              I altered a cue for a bloke I work with (who is 5' 3") from 57" down to 53", I cut two inches off each end then I re-butted it to 29mm diameter and changed the position of the weight to balance it where needed for such a short cue, about 16" from the butt end from the usual 17"-18" and re-tapered it from 13mm at the cut off point down to 9.5mm.

5' 6" isn't too short for a standard length cue, you simply do what you are doing and move your hand up the butt a bit, but at 5' 3" this bloke had about 16" of cue over his bridge and held the butt 3 inches from the end, not good. The cue from the floor reached his ear when the tip of the shoulder is a good approximation.
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

What vmax is saying is absolutely true. Shortening a cue is a complicated thing and even when done by an expert can change the characteristics of a cue so the owner can't use it anymore. A lot of people don't recognize that shaft flex plays a big part in why someone likes a specific cue. If you want to go to a shorter cue, 57" or maybe 56" maybe be right for you although 57" is the more common length done by cuemakers.

Try out other cues which are shorter than yours and see if you get on with any at a specific length.
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Three years ago I had a new ferrule fitted and lost about 5mm in length - not an issue as the cue was 60". However, when the cue was refinished they slightly thinned the shaft out and now it plays completely different.

Comment

Thank you for your replies vmax and Terry, much appreciated as always.

I will stick with what I've got.

Comment

It depends on your personal preference. Ball cues typically about 57–59 inches long and usually between 16 and 21 ounces, with professionals gravitating toward a 19 ounce average.

Comment

cue length is an easy one to work out. Tip up to the cue ball a 12 inch bridge and your back cueing arm should be vertical at 90 degrees or close to. You then need 1 inch behind your cue grip.
                        Length is different with all players depending on if they have a straight arm or slightly bent as well as how close your stance is to the table.
                        Check out our website at www.cuecreator.com

Comment

Working...
                        X