Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adapting to different Playing conditions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I've played on both Chris Wakelins and Matt Selts tables in Nuneaton and at the SWSA. There are only two of the tables at the academy that feel properly templated to me. The others feel generous. I've played pros with overly tight tables and while it does promote accuracy it also definitely effects shot choice as certain shots become low percentage returns. I also agree that confidence can take a hit playing on an absurdly tight pocketed table.
    I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

    Comment


    • #17
      I'm glad I've seen this thread - it saves me posting a new one!

      I'm a regular 50-60-70 break player and went to the academy in Sheffield today where I try and visit a couple of times a month. I really struggle with potting with the tight pockets, my highest break on a Star is 59. Funny thing is though, I took a mate who is a similar standard and I told him he'd struggle to make a 30 break on his first visit there, but he made a 40 break in the first frame and a 59 in the third! He said he aims for the middle of the pocket from where the object ball is which makes a lot of sense. After playing for 30 odd years I'm not sure if I focus a lot on the pockets, maybe that's where I'm going wrong? Can anyone relate to this and sugggest how to improve? I'm guessing playing more on these types of table is the only way.

      Comment


      • #18
        I also went to the tournament at the SWSA on Sunday.

        All this talk of pocket tightness and it's just not what I struggle with on the star tables.

        The cloth is much more grippy. The cushions slide all over the place. When you use side it pushes in and doesn't tend to swerve back out as much.

        Those are the things that prevent me from playing well when I rock up to a tournament and haven't seen a star table for 2 months.

        Snooker is about position really. You stay in good position, you make big breaks. I'm out of position after 8 points when I got to Gloucester haha
        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Contact: steve@bartonsnooker.co.uk
        Website: www.bartonsnooker.co.uk

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by dcrackers147 View Post
          50 break standard is an average club player...you went onto a pro table and got found out. Happens to a lot better players than you so don't worry about it.
          I would say 50 break standard is better than an average club player,. 30 breaks would be my idea of the average club player
          It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

          Wibble

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by magicman View Post
            I've played on both Chris Wakelins and Matt Selts tables in Nuneaton and at the SWSA. There are only two of the tables at the academy that feel properly templated to me. The others feel generous. I've played pros with overly tight tables and while it does promote accuracy it also definitely effects shot choice as certain shots become low percentage returns. I also agree that confidence can take a hit playing on an absurdly tight pocketed table.
            this is exactly right. inevermissblue is entitled to his opinion but in a game 90% about confidence at the top level why would you destroy your own unnecessarily?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by GeordieDS View Post
              I would say 50 break standard is better than an average club player,. 30 breaks would be my idea of the average club player
              Think the OP stated he makes the odd 50+ break which suggests that he does not consistently make them every session for example, hence me comment of average club player.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Looter View Post
                I'm glad I've seen this thread - it saves me posting a new one!

                I'm a regular 50-60-70 break player and went to the academy in Sheffield today where I try and visit a couple of times a month. I really struggle with potting with the tight pockets, my highest break on a Star is 59. Funny thing is though, I took a mate who is a similar standard and I told him he'd struggle to make a 30 break on his first visit there, but he made a 40 break in the first frame and a 59 in the third! He said he aims for the middle of the pocket from where the object ball is which makes a lot of sense. After playing for 30 odd years I'm not sure if I focus a lot on the pockets, maybe that's where I'm going wrong? Can anyone relate to this and sugggest how to improve? I'm guessing playing more on these types of table is the only way.
                you might be a better scorer on club tables than your friend however he might still cue better/straighter than you or have better alignment. Just a thought and could explain why you are struggling to adjust more. Also people can give too much respect to the pockets which causes them to tense up on the shot or lose the white easily as so much has been put into the pot.
                Last edited by dcrackers147; 16 January 2018, 09:37 AM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  My thought's are if you have templated or tight pockets you must have a very straight table with a high quality fast cloth, this will give you the proper table conditions to improve your cueing and overall game. Basically said, the bigger the pockets the slower the cloth can be, the tighter the pockets the faster the cloth and straighter the table. I think there is a very fine line that separates the differences between too tight, perfect player and too loose. Cheers
                  I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by dcrackers147 View Post
                    50 break standard is an average club player...you went onto a pro table and got found out. Happens to a lot better players than you so don't worry about it.
                    totally spot on....
                    #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X