Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shortening Cue - Yes Or No?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shortening Cue - Yes Or No?

    I've put a few questions about my cue on the forum recently so I don't mean to flood the forum! Just wondering if it's advisable or not to slightly shorten a cue so you can have a wider ferrule put on it? The ferrule on my cue is 8.9mm at the bottom and 8.6mm at the top so my tip size is 8.6mm. I know you can have a mushroomed tip so it's wider than the ferrule but I've never liked them and prefer my tip flush with the ferrule. Ideally I think I would like a 9.7mm tip which would mean slightly shortening the cue and re-tapering it. The wood beneath my ferrule is a tiny bit damaged as well so I think the cue needs to be shortened slightly anyway. Do you think 9.7mm is a better tip size for snooker than 8.6mm and will getting my cue slightly shortened to allow for a 9.7mm tip ruin my cue or change the feel of it? My cue is just over 57 inches from the bottom of the cue to the top of the ferrule and my grip hand is very rarely right at the end of the cue so this wouldn't be a problem if my cue was a bit shorter as I don't grip it right at the end anyway.

    Any advice would be welcome

  • #2
    You would likely be a bit more accurate with a larger tip, 8.6 is comically small though Mark Allen and Shaun Murphy used to use tips around that kind of size. Feel wise it would change a bit as the shaft would be thicker on your bridge hand, shouldn't take long to adapt to it though.

    Comment


    • #3
      Why are you so obsessed about the difference in diameter. And how did you come up with 9.7mm. lol. Chuck your cue away and get a new one

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by thai_son22 View Post
        Why are you so obsessed about the difference in diameter. And how did you come up with 9.7mm. lol. Chuck your cue away and get a new one
        I said similar on one of the other threads. Sell to a pool player and buy a better spec cue for snooker.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by markz View Post
          I said similar on one of the other threads. Sell to a pool player and buy a better spec cue for snooker.
          There's nothing wrong with my cue, it's a really nice cue. I was just wondering if a wider tip than 8.6mm would be better and if it would make much of a difference to the cue if it had to be slightly shortened and re-tapered to allow for this.

          Comment


          • #6
            if theres nothing wrong with it, then leave it lol

            Comment


            • #7
              I'd say buy a nice cue with a bigger tip (one you can sell on) and then sell whichever one you like the least, or start a cue collection

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dmorley85 View Post
                There's nothing wrong with my cue, it's a really nice cue. I was just wondering if a wider tip than 8.6mm would be better and if it would make much of a difference to the cue if it had to be slightly shortened and re-tapered to allow for this.
                How much will need to be taken off to get to 9.7mm?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dmorley85 View Post
                  Originally posted by markz View Post
                  I said similar on one of the other threads. Sell to a pool player and buy a better spec cue for snooker.
                  There's nothing wrong with my cue, it's a really nice cue. I was just wondering if a wider tip than 8.6mm would be better and if it would make much of a difference to the cue if it had to be slightly shortened and re-tapered to allow for this.
                  Shortening it enough to make it 9.7 (ridiculous to come up with 9.7 btw) will make a big difference, it'll be like a different cue.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dmorley85 View Post
                    There's nothing wrong with my cue, it's a really nice cue. I was just wondering if a wider tip than 8.6mm would be better and if it would make much of a difference to the cue if it had to be slightly shortened and re-tapered to allow for this.
                    i had a cue that had a tip size of 9.2mm which isn't bad for snooker players , however, i couldn't get use to it so got rid of it and bought another cue that had a 10mm ferrel , my tip now is 9.7mm which is much better.

                    i wouldn't shorten the cue unless its too long, cue length is important and if you shorten it you might find its completely different, the weight and length can effect how you play. if the current weight and length of your current cue are perfect for how you play , i would find another cue with those specs which has the larger tip size.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You may be very surprised in just how you might need to take off to get it up to 9.7, but could do that and have the butt extended. the
                      For that one you've always wanted...
                      https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I cant get my head around folk getting caught up with micro measurements... tips of precicely 9.625mm not a 10th of a mil more.... weights of exactly 17.25 ounces, balance points of 18.36"... must have 3 inches between each arrow. intolerance of tolerances ffs

                        i feel for the regular sellers and makers as i bet they get this nonsense all day every day
                        #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by bolton-cueman View Post
                          I cant get my head around folk getting caught up with micro measurements... tips of precicely 9.625mm not a 10th of a mil more.... weights of exactly 17.25 ounces, balance points of 18.36"... must have 3 inches between each arrow. intolerance of tolerances ffs

                          i feel for the regular sellers and makers as i bet they get this nonsense all day every day
                          Your right it must drive cue makers nuts, it really is to me sad asking for such specific measurements.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Those people probably couldn't even feel the difference but instead take out all the measuring gear and if it doesn't conform, reject the cue haha. Even though it's a perfectly good bit of kit

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by thai_son22 View Post
                              Those people probably couldn't even feel the difference but instead take out all the measuring gear and if it doesn't conform, reject the cue haha. Even though it's a perfectly good bit of kit
                              I've had a few but I know a few other makers that have had some stupid requests.....
                              Almost funny.... Almost
                              For that one you've always wanted...
                              https://www.facebook.com/ninjacues/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X