Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you make sure you get a good night's sleep before a tournament?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...lol...just goes to show that it's not easy to control the mind

Comment

Originally Posted by anish147 View Post
      Everyone has a different personality and we all perceive and react to stress in different ways. Ste Bed is correct (though a bit harsh!) - you need to relax, realise it's a game and once you are able to reduce the emphasis on winning, you'll begin to enjoy the competitions instead of making them out to be life changing events in your head and adding to the stress.

It's normal to be anxious but you need to find ways to distract yourself. Look at Ronnie; mentally one of the weakest players suffering with anxiety and depression but he's turned it around by running and other pursuits that ultimately reduce the pressure on himself to perform. Physical exercise is good - it will tire you so you sleep better and the adrenaline rush will make you mentally sharper and give you more confidence. Obviously don't over do it so you're wiped out the next day for your match!
      Probably was a bit harsh but good post key words. Relax it’s just a game, emphasis on winning ,stress, enjoy the game and take it as it comes like I said what’s the point in dreaming up scenarios and shots

Comment

My sound advice seems to have been completely ignored.

-
        The fast and the furious,
        The slow and labourious,
        All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Melatonin my friend, Melatonin.

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
            My sound advice seems to have been completely ignored.

-
            LOL, not at all...sex is great exercise and releases more endorphins than running, I'm sure!

I guess you summed up what I said in 2 paragraphs in one line!

Comment

So the suggestions so far have been sex, exercise and sunlight. I would add self medication. So basically you want to get it on with your girl out in the sun somewhere, while doing bicep curls with a bottle of Jack Daniels and smoking a big spliff. It may not help you win the tournament, but you won't really care in fact you may not even bother going to the tournament.

Comment

In a less interesting tone: Roobois or Red Bush tea might work. Don't bother with the Tetley version try Tick Tock, and is available in main Supermarkets on bottom shelf of their tea sections.

Try getting cold. The Core Temperature drops as part of falling asleep, and is why hot baths work as the cooling process starts straight afterwards.
                Last edited by blahblah01; 6 April 2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Just stop thinking for a couple of seconds
                  It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Take a ice cold shower and count down from 300. it will shock ur body and similar to exercise, will release endorphins. I highly recommend this for anxiety reduction.
                    Highest Match Break 39 (November 10th 2015)

Comment

Originally Posted by armstm View Post
                      Take a ice cold shower and count down from 300. it will shock ur body and similar to exercise, will release endorphins. I highly recommend this for anxiety reduction.
                      A cold shower, before bed?? Are you sure about that one? Sounds more of a stimulant than a sedative, but if it works for you then....

-
                      The slow and labourious,

Comment

the effect it has on me is the latter. try it and see.
                        Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                        A cold shower, before bed?? Are you sure about that one? Sounds more of a stimulant than a sedative, but if it works for you then....

-

Comment

do you count down from 300 in the cold shower or after?
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

in the shower but u can choose any number - its more to take ur mind off the cold. as u can imagine that counting is pretty fast as u want to get out it has an interesting effect afterwards, u feel warm and somewhat more relaxed. theres no hard science on it sadly but a lot of bro science on it on the internet.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                              do you count down from 300 in the cold shower or after?
                              Fair dues Dean, that really did make me laugh out loud.

Originally Posted by armstm View Post
                              the effect it has on me is the latter. try it and see.
                              Hmm, no thanks. Think I'll stay with my original strategy.

-
                              The slow and labourious,

Comment

Originally Posted by sn000ker View Post
                                I often find myself unable to sleep properly the night before I am scheduled to play in a tournament. I usually get excited and my mind starts to wander, thinking about positions and shot selections. Before I know it, it's 2 AM, which makes me even more stressed and in the end I get no sleep at all.

How do you cope with pre-tournament sleeping? Are there any special tips for such situations?
                                I don't cope with it because I do not try to be some cool, calm and collected guy. It is just not the person I am.
                                Stress can make you wide awake, yes. Job interview for example. Knowing that you have to get up early in the morning. Those things can wind you up. So what?

Even when I did sleep well, I didn't play any better at a tournament. Why? Well perhaps because usually my nerves and adrenalin more than canceled out any subconscious tiredness that might have been there.
                                But then again, I never get tired of playing snooker. My energy level is just too high. It's a pity I'm not good enough to take advantage of it...best of 35 here I come...

Don't worry. You won't feel sleepy at all. Chances are you'll have 100+ bpm heart rate at your tournament on a pressure ball or two. You'll sleep after the event...
                                Stuart Bingham hardly got any sleep when he won his World title. Has it hurt his performance? I think not.

Comment

Working...
                                X