Quick Way To Level A Ferrule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Way To Level A Ferrule

I’ve re-tipped a few cues for people recently and the amount of ferrules that I’ve seen that are uneven and not completely flat on the top or rounded on the edge of the ferrule is ridiculous. Seems like a lot of club players literally play with the same tip on their cue until there is basically nothing left on it, so eventually the ferrule is getting damaged on each shot with the impact which can make the ferrule rounded on the edges. I’ve used files in the past and also a dremel with a small grinding disc attachment to level the top of ferrule but you have to be very precise doing it this way and it can take a while (plus the grinding disc attachment isn’t really wide enough to cover the whole of the ferrule). I was just wondering if there’s a quicker way to achieve a nice flat even ferrule doing it by hand. I was thinking of maybe getting a belt sander but I’m not too sure. I’ve also tried the rapid top sander tool in the past but they’re not great if the ferrule is really uneven.
    Last edited by dmorley85; 14 May 2018, 09:01 AM.

I use a long wide file manually as this often is enough and once you are used to it, works well

But you can get a cue sanding machine which once clamped to the shaft gives you a perfectly perpendicular top of the ferrule and shaft end. My club has one and I borrowed it once for a particularly bad cue I was retipping and it is easy to use but I wrapped the shaft with some cereal-box cardboard to protect it. You don't have to clamp that tight so take care
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      I use a long wide file manually as this often is enough and once you are used to it, works well

But you can get a cue sanding machine which once clamped to the shaft gives you a perfectly perpendicular top of the ferrule and shaft end. My club has one and I borrowed it once for a particularly bad cue I was retipping and it is easy to use but I wrapped the shaft with some cereal-box cardboard to protect it. You don't have to clamp that tight so take care
      Thanks Dean. What kind of file is it that you use and where can you get the cue sanding machine that you mentioned? Are you referring to the rapid top sander?

Comment

Just a wood file, about an inch wide and 10" long, differing coarseness on the sides.

on ebay and amazon etc
        something like this, two second search for "cue sanding machine" shop around some are really expensive for the same kit
        https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sander-Mach.../dp/B00CY3S2DI

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          Just a wood file, about an inch wide and 10" long, differing coarseness on the sides.

on ebay and amazon etc
          something like this, two second search for "cue sanding machine" shop around some are really expensive for the same kit
          https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sander-Mach.../dp/B00CY3S2DI
          Thanks Dean, I already have one of the rapid cue top sanders but I didn’t think it was that great. What do you think about using a belt sander?

Comment

personally, no
            if you need a belt sander then maybe the cue needs to go to a cue maker for new ferrule, etc.

Comment

Originally Posted by dmorley85 View Post
              Thanks Dean, I already have one of the rapid cue top sanders but I didn’t think it was that great. What do you think about using a belt sander?
              The danger with a belt sander or other power toll is it can generate heat which can then loosen the glue holding the ferrule.

Comment

I have one of the Tweeten sanders and it does an excellent job but care is needed using it and the one on Amazon looks expensive

Comment

Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
                  I have one of the Tweeten sanders and it does an excellent job but care is needed using it and the one on Amazon looks expensive
                  What’s the best way to use this sander, by putting the cue up vertical or horizontal on your lap? And do you use the handle on it or turn by hand and which opening do you use the inner or outer? I’ve tried it myself but didn’t think it was too great but never used it again so might give it another go.

Comment

Does not matter hold it so it does what you want it to do and either hole works just fine

Comment

Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
                      Does not matter hold it so it does what you want it to do and either hole works just fine
                      thats not what the wife said.......

Comment

Working...
                      X