Yet another Cue Tip question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Cue Tip question

I have noticed that there are a couple of the professional players that use what I would call a 'mushroom tip'.

Does anyone know why this is and, are there any benefits to it and also, how do they achieve the shape?

I ask this because the ferrule on my cue is, in my opinion, very narrow at only 9.3 mm. I have in the past thought about having my cue shortened as I am a bit of a short a..e myself but, this is easier said than done and so, I have overcome the problem by shifting my grip further up the cue. If I could have had the cue shortened this would have obviously resulted in the need for a bigger ferrule and also a larger tip.

The reason that I am now talking about the tip and its shape, is because a number of people have said to me that, because my tip is so small, I have to be so much more accurate when cueing as it is easier to to put unwanted side on the cue ball.

So, the question is, would a mushroom shaped tip help in my case as it could be made to be 10mm or even slightly more. Or, is this really a load of hogwash!!

I play uk 8 ball pool to a decent standard.Most pool players use around an 8.5mm ferrule and some even smaller.My ferrule is 9mm but I play with a 9.5mm oversized tip.I struggle with the white ball when the tip is flush at 9mm but have much better control when its oversized at 9.5mm.Everyone is different, just a case of trial and error finding what you feel most comfortable with.

Comment

9.3mm isn't that small really. Mushroom tips are generally just preference, some players like to be able to see their tip, for others it's to create a bigger tip without the need to alter the cue, personally not a fan of mushroom tips but there's many different variations from full overhang to a coronet type \ / shape where the tip is flush at the ferrule and tapered out. Generally you just fit a tip that's bigger than the size of the ferrule and get it as central fitted as you can, dome it and your done, for the coronet style I'll either trim with a blade deliberately slicing down and outwards or spin the cue against the blade at a slight angle just removing the bottom portion of the tip tapering it so it gets wider away from the ferrule then tidy up with a fine file and wet & dry being careful not to damage the ferrule. If you fit the standard overhanging mushroom and don't get it quite central then you file a bit off untill there's an even overhang all round.

Comment

Thanks for the replies chaps, much appreciated.

Comment

I've been using a mushroom tip for years, ferrule is 9.3mm but gradually over the years i've needed a bigger tip currently at about 9.7mm which seems about right. I do find its better to have the base of the tip flush with the ferrule then taper it out slightly, though some players don't bother and just stick it on with a big over hang and shape it, sure Peter Ebdon used to do this.

I was putting un intentional side on the ball at 9.3mm so found the mushroom helped correct that, and i always think its better to go no more than .5mm over the ferrule size, so 9mm ferrule max 9.5mm mushroom, 9.5mm ferrule max 10mm mushroom and so on.

Never hurts to experiment and find out what works for you, good luck !

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
            I've been using a mushroom tip for years, ferrule is 9.3mm but gradually over the years i've needed a bigger tip currently at about 9.7mm which seems about right. I do find its better to have the base of the tip flush with the ferrule then taper it out slightly, though some players don't bother and just stick it on with a big over hang and shape it, sure Peter Ebdon used to do this.

I was putting un intentional side on the ball at 9.3mm so found the mushroom helped correct that, and i always think its better to go no more than .5mm over the ferrule size, so 9mm ferrule max 9.5mm mushroom, 9.5mm ferrule max 10mm mushroom and so on.

Never hurts to experiment and find out what works for you, good luck !
            I put a new tip on my cue on Saturday but then waited to see what, if any, replies I got to this thread. I went into the workshop earlier today and did what Dave Walton suggested and it is exactly as you too have suggested here CueAntW147. I will be at the club tomorrow and so am looking forward to see how things go.
            Thanks very much for the help chaps.

Comment

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
              I put a new tip on my cue on Saturday but then waited to see what, if any, replies I got to this thread. I went into the workshop earlier today and did what Dave Walton suggested and it is exactly as you too have suggested here CueAntW147. I will be at the club tomorrow and so am looking forward to see how things go.
              Thanks very much for the help chaps.
              That's good news I hope it works well for you mate.

I just found this was the best solution as i love the taper on my cue but was struggling with the tip size so mushroom was the best bet, as i've tried cues made with 10mm tip but taper hasn't suited me as been slightly thicker.

Other thing with having the base of the tip flush with ferrule means its less likely to come loose, i've seen quite a few with a big over hang that have come off, let us know how you get on.

Comment

Examples of increasing the tip size over the ferrule can be seen on this page, look out for these tips:

Ding Junhui
                Barry Hawkins
                Ricky Walden
                Thepchaiya Un Nooh

https://www.snookercrazy.com/cue-tip-shapes/
                Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Enjoyed that thanks for posting it, had varying success with a few of those tip shapes in the past, my preference being oversize but cut to tip size tapering out.

Thanks for the link
                  Cheers Ricky

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                  Examples of increasing the tip size over the ferrule can be seen on this page, look out for these tips:

Ding Junhui
                  Barry Hawkins
                  Ricky Walden
                  Thepchaiya Un Nooh

https://www.snookercrazy.com/cue-tip-shapes/

Comment

Originally Posted by Ricky2112 View Post
                    Enjoyed that thanks for posting it, had varying success with a few of those tip shapes in the past, my preference being oversize but cut to tip size tapering out.

Thanks for the link
                    Cheers Ricky
                    No problem Ricky. I must admit I have a Century tip (around 10mm) on a 9.3mm Ferrule with it cut and shaped liked Barry Hawkins which feels nice.
                    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

It seems to me that the players with the best touch in terms of backspin and spincontrol in general, have the tip flush. Murphy, Trump, Ding, Neil. I could go on. The few people with that massive overhang, are some I almost have to admire for doing so. Because I dont understand how they do it. Simple physics have always said "the more overhang, the more deflection of the cueball path on sidespin shots" ... Thats why its fashinating how they make it work. I like mine completely flush. Never wanted to try anything else as I want the least amount of deflection.

Comment

Originally Posted by 147Daniel View Post
                        It seems to me that the players with the best touch in terms of backspin and spincontrol in general, have the tip flush. Murphy, Trump, Ding, Neil. I could go on. The few people with that massive overhang, are some I almost have to admire for doing so. Because I dont understand how they do it. Simple physics have always said "the more overhang, the more deflection of the cueball path on sidespin shots" ... Thats why its fashinating how they make it work. I like mine completely flush. Never wanted to try anything else as I want the least amount of deflection.
                        Ding uses a slight mushroom tip it's not flush to the ferrule, Ebdon had huge amounts of cue power playing with a huge mushroom tip, it works well for Barry Hawkins too.

Comment

Ding changes between almost flush and slight overhang. Seen both. Williams used to have a bit of overhang years ago, but seems to also go for flush now.

Comment

What is the new tip Jimmy White said Mark Selby now uses and he now uses himself and says its the best tip they have both ever used? They mentioned it today on Eurosport...
                            Customised full size Riley table with black pockets and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth all housed in an air-conditioned 8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House supported with RSJ's.

Comment

Originally Posted by the_unrepentant View Post
                              What is the new tip Jimmy White said Mark Selby now uses and he now uses himself and says its the best tip they have both ever used? They mentioned it today on Eurosport...
                              Centrury G3
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X