Ball over pocket drops after cueball is struck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball over pocket drops after cueball is struck

I thought about a situation (although I've never seen it) and not really sure as to what the rule is if it happened. So, you have say a red ball hanging right over the pocket and you play it. After you strike the cueball, the red ball drops into the pocket before the cueball reaches it and the cueball doesn't hit anything. Is that a foul? If that happened on TV, would they replace the balls?
    Customised full size Riley table with black pockets and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth all housed in an air-conditioned 8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House supported with RSJ's.

Yes both balls are replaced and shot to be taken again

Comment

JRC is correct, here is the rule as stated in the book

sec 3.9. Ball on Edge of Pocket
      When a ball falls into a pocket without being hit by another ball, and:
      (a) Being no part of any stroke in progress, it shall be replaced and any points previously scored shall count.
      (b) If it would have been hit by any ball involved in a stroke:
      (i) with no infringement of these Rules (including cases where an infringement would have occurred but for the ball falling into a pocket), all balls will be replaced and the same stroke played again, or a different stroke may be played at his discretion, by the same striker;
      (ii) if a foul is committed, the striker incurs the penalty prescribed in Section 3 Rule 10, all balls will be replaced, and the next player has the usual options after a foul.
      (c) If a ball balances momentarily on the edge of a pocket and then falls in, it shall count as in the pocket and not be replaced.

A question I get asked is "how long is momentarily?"
      Unlike UK BB Pool rules there is no set time, so I answer say the word "momentarily" pronouncing the syllables clearly, and that seems to do
      Anyone else go a method?
      Where it says "if a rule is committed..." this means other than missing the ball on or hitting another ball after it would have hit the ball on; such as players clothing touches a ball, or both feet off the floor at the time of stroke.
      as per (ii) the appropriate penalty for such a foul is applied, the balls are replaced as before the foul, and non-offending player's turn.
      I have only seen this happen twice down the club; never on TV
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

As a rule of thumb 2-3 seconds is taken as momentarily.
        Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Didn;t this happen on TV recently?

Well ball in jaw and then dropped while other layer approached the table.

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
            Didn;t this happen on TV recently?

Well ball in jaw and then dropped while other layer approached the table.
            Yes, recently it was close to happening. I know it was Bingham at the table and as he was still contemplating his shot, the ball dropped and the ref replaced it which made me wonder about my initial question if he had already have struck the CB. I only just remembered to post it! Thanks for the answers!
            Customised full size Riley table with black pockets and Strachen 6811 Tournament Cloth all housed in an air-conditioned 8m x 5m Grande Servern Plus log cabin from Dunster House supported with RSJ's.

Comment

Working...
            X