Failure to nominate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure to nominate?

Can a player be penalised for failing to nominate?

I'm imagining a scenario in which the player believes it is clear which colour he's playing, but the ref is not (clear).
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

The player is suppose to call out the colour before hand, failing which a foul is called I think. I might be wrong though.

Comment

It can be called a foul but it's really rare for it to happen.

Comment

It could happen. But usually the referee asks the player himself, if he's not sure which colour the player is aiming for.

Comment

According to this it does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvGvLNdwUUI

tense or what
          Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

Comment

It is ONLY a Foul if the Referee asks the player to declare their nomination and they don't.

Rule 2.12(a) A nominated ball is the object ball which the striker declares, or indicates to the satisfaction of the referee, he undertakes to hit with the first impact of the cue ball.

This indication can be verbal, or physical - pointing at, or by the general attitude of the cue.

You don't often hear the referee asking a player in pro play but it did happen a few events ago.
            If the referee does not ask, it is assumed that the referee is happy they know which ball the player is going for.

If colour is unknown, then any foul would be 7.
            can be tricky if the referee does not ask before the stroke is taken and it is unclear of ball on....
            Last edited by DeanH; 28 April 2019, 09:01 AM.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by John Flaf View Post

tense or what
              Seen that before, and the ref was just being a complete dick, once audience confirmed they heard him he should of backed down

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                Seen that before, and the ref was just being a complete dick, once audience confirmed they heard him he should of backed down
                Agree jrc, I'm sure you can hear cliff nominate, albeit not very clearly he does mumble something.
                Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  can be tricky if the referee does not ask before the stroke is taken and it is unclear of ball on....
                  Thanks, all. I do understand the ins and outs of nominating (ref will ask, etc etc) but ^this^ is the kind of thing I was imagining.

Player pots red, fails to get on black so has to play up table. He decides to go green but brown is in close proximity. Player thinks it's clear he's going for green so doesn't nominate, ref is not so clear. The problem with asking to nominate is that the player often does so just before he pulls the trigger, meaning the ref didn't get chance to ask if he then goes on to play it without nominating.
                  "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

A foul will always be called if the referee has requested a declaration (verbal statement) and the player hasn't responded. The striker also has a duty to declare when he's snookered and has a choice of colours. Penalty seven points.

However, if the player has not *declared* in other circumstances, it must be assumed that he has nominated by *indication* (ie by pointing or direction of cueing etc), and the player should not be penalised for not declaring. If the referee is unsure what colour is being nominated he should ask for a declaration.
                    Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by John Flaf View Post

tense or what
                      He clearly nominates green. That ref is a moron.

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerball View Post
                        He clearly nominates green. That ref is a moron.
                        Well he hardly shouts it, does he? I had to rewind twice and crank the volume up on my speakers. Maybe he should have taken Cliff at his word when he explained he had nominated, rather than enforce the foul, but the man can hardly be blamed for not hearing what was essentially a mumbled whisper.

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
                          Well he hardly shouts it, does he? I had to rewind twice and crank the volume up on my speakers. Maybe he should have taken Cliff at his word when he explained he had nominated, rather than enforce the foul, but the man can hardly be blamed for not hearing what was essentially a mumbled whisper.
                          He says it at normal talking level. Do find it hard to believe Alex didn't hear him say it though. Ref seems about to take audience members word for it then Alex says he would have heard him if he'd said it.

Don't know if the waiting for the ref to repeat the colour rule was around back then (I weren't born), but if it was then some of blame lies with Cliff.

Completely baffled by the 7 point foul rather than 4? 6 at most with the pink being easy to double onto?
                          Last edited by snookerball; 2 May 2019, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Ref seems about to take audience members word for it then Alex says he would have heard him if he'd said it.
                            I missed that. Didn't realise Alex had said that.

Maybe it is I who need my ears testing.

Comment

He says it at normal talking level. Do find it hard to believe Alex didn't hear him say it though. Ref seems about to take audience members word for it then Alex says he would have heard him if he'd said it.

Don't know if the waiting for the ref to repeat the colour rule was around back then (I weren't born), but if it was then some of blame lies with Cliff.

Completely baffled by the 7 point foul rather than 4? 6 at most with the pink being easy to double onto?
                              Cliff was annoyed at the referee but disgusted by Higgins reaction. Higgins, one pot I will always remember him for is urinating in the flower pot

Comment

Working...
                              X