No announcement yet.

ash vs maple for snooker cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ash tends to be stiffer while maple tends to be more elastic when potting.anyway,choosing ash or maple depends on yourself.i use maple because i don't like the annual rings on ash,it makes me have a dim eyesight while aiming.but it's true that ash is more controllable than maple for it's stiffer,and it's more accurate when playing a long pot.besides,nobody can dominate a maple cue so smooth ,precise and amazing than Hendry!

Comment

Too bad, you got one already, otherwise you can custom a cue, at this spec (except no ss ferrule - only quality brass) for some GBP55. Sorry no aircost yet. All handmade. Quality Maple, stiff. We try the cue to check its action before delivery, and I think all buyers are happy with our shafts --- As usual, from Unclevit.
      Last edited by unclevit; 28 April 2011, 08:55 AM. Reason: add more infor
      It's in the Shaft

Comment

A word of warning for inevermissblue, (a) your weight requirement is too wide, (b) stainless steel is too hard for ferrule, a commonly used material is brass.

Comment

Originally Posted by Straight strike View Post
          A word of warning for inevermissblue, (a) your weight requirement is too wide, (b) stainless steel is too hard for ferrule, a commonly used material is brass.
          That is a wide margin.

IMO, you can use stainless ferrules no problem, i have cues with them on and another one coming with one.

Comment

Maple cues warp faster and easier than ash cues. One-piece maple cues are the worst for this. If you by a perfectly straight one, chances are it will warp an inch within 10 years.

Comment

Originally Posted by FOXMULDER View Post
              Maple cues warp faster and easier than ash cues. One-piece maple cues are the worst for this. If you by a perfectly straight one, chances are it will warp an inch within 10 years.
              I have had my maple cue for 25+ years and it is still straight.
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                Then you're lucky.

I've had two maple cues and both have warped significantly, one to the extent that it cannot be used. And I looked after both well.

I think the grain on ash cues keep them straighter for longer.

Comment

Hi inevermissblue.......try www.handmadecues.com you can input all of your requirements on the virtual cue maker and a full price will be generated.....or the new parris cues website has a similar facility......great to mess about with as well and create exotic looking unique cues designed to your exact spec.
                  You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

Hi Deanh,could you please tell me the difference between an ash and a maple in terms of feel and durability? Which one is better controllable?

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                      Hi Deanh,could you please tell me the difference between an ash and a maple in terms of feel and durability? Which one is better controllable?
                      I'll jump in here if I may; as far as control is concerned there's no difference at all and it's simply down to personal choice as to what you like to see when sighting along the shaft and how it feels on your bridge. Some like plain wood while others like a grain pattern but to be honest anyone can get used to anything over a little time; I've used both ash and maple and recently beech as well and all play as well as each other depending on the quality of the timber used.
                      Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                      but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                        Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                        I'll jump in here if I may; as far as control is concerned there's no difference at all and it's simply down to personal choice as to what you like to see when sighting along the shaft and how it feels on your bridge. Some like plain wood while others like a grain pattern but to be honest anyone can get used to anything over a little time; I've used both ash and maple and recently beech as well and all play as well as each other depending on the quality of the timber used.
                        cheers vmax
                        I will add that since 2011 ( the date of the old post) I now have two ash cues (one for pool and one for snooker), not down to any preference of being ash and not maple; purely down to I liked the look of them.
                        As to sighting; I don't use any grain for sighting, in reality I don't notice the grain when looking down the shaft as I am looking to the object ball I want the cue ball to contact. If you are looking at the shaft at this time you probably wont do a successful strike

by the way, I still have the maple cue mentioned above so 25+ add 7yrs = 32+ years and it is still straight!
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

IMO:
                          Ash - is a more consistent and more available material for mass production cues.
                          However
                          Maple - when the cue maker can source the best material. IMO No better cue can be made.
                          "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                          National Snooker Expo
                          25-27 October 2019
                          http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

As to sighting; I don't use any grain for sighting, in reality I don't notice the grain when looking down the shaft as I am looking to the object ball I want the cue ball to contact. If you are looking at the shaft at this time you probably wont do a successful strike
                            Agree completely, but some people need those arrows I suppose when addressing the cue ball, can't think of any other reason.
                            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Thanks all.

Comment

Originally Posted by FOXMULDER View Post
                                Since when?
                                Ive got maple cues well over 10 years and still as perfectly straight as when they were bought.
                                Perhaps storing them corr Colt has something to do with it, but that can be said for all cues regardless of which wood type.
                                "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
                                National Snooker Expo
                                25-27 October 2019
                                http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X