Highest losing break in a frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is in this month's Snooker Scene.

Foulds made a break of 80 (10 red-blacks) in the 1988 English Professional Championship quarter-final but his opponent, Willie Thorne, lost the frame. Foulds won the match 5-3, though.

Comment

Once I lost a frame making a 64 break
      2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
      2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

I've just uncovered another one which surely must be runner-up to Neal Foulds's 80, and equal with the White-Spencer one.

Dennis Taylor, in the first round of the inaugural Rothmans Grand Prix, in 1984, was playing Paul Watchorn and won the match 5-1, making a 74 break in the second frame which was the one Watchorn won. He led 74-0 but Watchorn "in three scoring visits pipped him on the black" with the final score being 74-81. I assume from the quite that it was therefore not a re-spot.

Comment

I remember seeing Mark Williams lose a frame where he had a 70+ I believe. He potted the brown that would have guaranteed the frame, and went in-off in the middle. His opponent returned to the table needing only one snooker, got 2 snookers, then committed a foul himself. In the end, it went right to the colours and Williams ended up losing. This was a good while ago (prob 10 years min)though. I've got in my head he was playing against John Higgins or Dominic Dale but cant say for sure.
          If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Here is one with Bjorn Haneveer making 75 break against Luca Brecel and still lost. final frame in the Belgian Championship
            Cuemaxx snooker channel on youtube

Comment

Originally Posted by deant1982 View Post
              I remember seeing Mark Williams lose a frame where he had a 70+ I believe. He potted the brown that would have guaranteed the frame, and went in-off in the middle. His opponent returned to the table needing only one snooker, got 2 snookers, then committed a foul himself. In the end, it went right to the colours and Williams ended up losing. This was a good while ago (prob 10 years min)though. I've got in my head he was playing against John Higgins or Dominic Dale but cant say for sure.
              Is this it? the video doesnt work for me tho( http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/JW91hs3wA_o/
              It was on youtube earlier if it is the right video
              Last edited by missneworleans; 25 August 2011, 11:36 AM.
              2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
              2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Not quite such a high break, but in terms of changing the course of a match, one of the most important catch-ups in a frame must have been the 1985 Goya Matchroom Trophy final in October 1985 (this was a ranking event previously and subsequently known as the International Open - itself eventually superseded by the Scottish Open in the late 90s).

Jimmy White led Cliff Thorburn 7-0 after the first session, in what Thorburn described as "the finest exhibition of snooker I've ever seen."

In the first frame of the evening, White made a break of 66 but it meant he led 74-0 with 59 remaining. However, he fouled three times, two of them leaving free balls, and Thorburn eventually made a 42 clearance to take the frame 74-77.

This meant 7-1 but White's highest break from that point forward would be 35 and at the end of the second session led only 8-6. He would go on to lose 10-13.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
                  Not quite such a high break, but in terms of changing the course of a match, one of the most important catch-ups in a frame must have been the 1985 Goya Matchroom Trophy final in October 1985 (this was a ranking event previously and subsequently known as the International Open - itself eventually superseded by the Scottish Open in the late 90s).

Jimmy White led Cliff Thorburn 7-0 after the first session, in what Thorburn described as "the finest exhibition of snooker I've ever seen."

In the first frame of the evening, White made a break of 66 but it meant he led 74-0 with 59 remaining. However, he fouled three times, two of them leaving free balls, and Thorburn eventually made a 42 clearance to take the frame 74-77.

This meant 7-1 but White's highest break from that point forward would be 35 and at the end of the second session led only 8-6. He would go on to lose 10-13.
                  Typical Jimmy White! Makes a mistake, then (to steal a poker expression) go on tilt and suffers a collapse reminiscent of a 90's England cricket team, before succumbing to the inevitable. He had a very rare snooker talent, of being able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, which is a shame as he was brilliant to watch at his best and deserved to win more than he did.
                  If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Working...
                  X