Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Ball Foul

Hiya Guys,

I was reffing a match last night and the following situation occurred. The incoming player was awarded a free ball because of a foul by the previous player. The incoming playing decided to nominate the pink. He played the pink in such a way that there was only 1 red available to hit (because the pink was still in the way) but could only be hit 3/4 ball. The next guy came to the table and claimed it was a foul because he could not hit the red full ball (so in effect he claimed he was snookered by the nominated free ball). This is the 1st time i have seen this happen and was unsure on the ruling. Any clarifications would be appreciated. I did call a foul by the way and awarded a six point penalty.

Thnx for any responses.

Brijacq.

Originally Posted by Brijacq View Post
    Hiya Guys,

I was reffing a match last night and the following situation occurred. The incoming player was awarded a free ball because of a foul by the previous player. The incoming playing decided to nominate the pink. He played the pink in such a way that there was only 1 red available to hit (because the pink was still in the way) but could only be hit 3/4 ball. The next guy came to the table and claimed it was a foul because he could not hit the red full ball (so in effect he claimed he was snookered by the nominated free ball). This is the 1st time i have seen this happen and was unsure on the ruling. Any clarifications would be appreciated. I did call a foul by the way and awarded a six point penalty.

Thnx for any responses.

Brijacq.
    If the Pink was the ball that was closest to the Red and was the only ball that snookered the Red then it is a foul. If there would have been some other colour blocking the way and it is closer to the Ball On than the Pink, it would have been a correct shot. A lot of players don't know that they can use the Freeball to leave the opponent snookered without breaking the rule. They just have to bear in mind that the Freeball doesn't have to be the ball that's causing the snooker
    Btw: Did he try to pot the Pink ? If so and he missed and the Pink ended up snookering the Red, I'm not sure if this would be a foul. Don't think so.

Comment

A good answer, Kyra, but slightly wrong in one point.

Yes, it is a foul. He has left his opponent "snookered" by the free ball. Judging this is the same as judging whether to award the free ball in the first place – i.e. being able to hit both sides.

He could have left the pink in such a position that he could hit the red full ball but not on one extreme edge; that would still be a foul for snookering behind free ball.

The slight point, Kyra, where you are mistaken is where more than one colour blocks the path to the red. In this case it is the ball closest to the cue-ball, not the ball on, that counts.

So if the balls ended up in a straight line, white-blue-pink-red, that is not a foul becacuse it is the blue that is considered to be snookering; if white-pink-blue-red then it's a foul because it is the pink that's snookering.

With regard to the last point about whether it was deliberate – that makes no difference; it's still a foul. It's like going in-off and saying it was not intentional; it doesn't matter.

And when refereeing any free ball situation, remember that if a foul occurs in this instance it will not be a foul 6 for the pink, but a foul 4 because the pink was acting as the red. (Could of course be foul 5 or 7 if it involved the blue or black, but a foul 6 would be impossible.)

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up, there are always things that pop up that makes you think what the point of law is. Much appreciated.

Brijacq

Comment

So even if the nominated free ball is covering a fraction of the ball on is it still a foul?
          " For those of you in black & white, the blue is behind the yellow"

Comment

Originally Posted by Cossie View Post
            So even if the nominated free ball is covering a fraction of the ball on is it still a foul?
            Yes.

If the free ball prevents the next player from hitting either finest edge of the ball on – even by a whisker – then it is a foul.

Comment

yeah its a foul whichever way u look at it.happened to me in a tournament not so long ago where i went to pot the free ball in the middle,caught the near jaw,ending up close to the one remaining red up the other side of table leaving opponent in a quarter ball snooker.ref called foul.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
                Yes.

If the free ball prevents the next player from hitting either finest edge of the ball on – even by a whisker – then it is a foul.
                Can the player who has to play opt for another free ball?

Comment

yes they can ram p because another foul has been commited.

Comment

Originally Posted by ram p View Post
                    Can the player who has to play opt for another free ball?
                    Absolutely. This foul will always result in a further free ball, as by definition you will have snookered him.

Comment

A good answer, Kyra, but slightly wrong in one point.
                      The slight point, Kyra, where you are mistaken is where more than one colour blocks the path to the red. In this case it is the ball closest to the cue-ball, not the ball on, that counts.

So if the balls ended up in a straight line, white-blue-pink-red, that is not a foul becacuse it is the blue that is considered to be snookering; if white-pink-blue-red then it's a foul because it is the pink that's snookering.
                      You're absolutely right about this one. My mistake. Don't know what was in my head when I wrote this

Comment

Thank you very much. A bit of topic but still related to free ball, when only the pink and black left on the table, I seem to remember that I can nominate the black as my free ball, and snooker my opponent on the pink behind the black, right?
                        www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                          Thank you very much. A bit of topic but still related to free ball, when only the pink and black left on the table, I seem to remember that I can nominate the black as my free ball, and snooker my opponent on the pink behind the black, right?
                          Yes, that's the one time you can snooker behind the free ball - when only pink and black are remaining.

Comment

Yes, that's the one time you can snooker behind the free ball - when only pink and black are remaining.
                            Thank you so much.
                            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                            X