Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do snooker players wear waistcoats, shirt and trousers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do snooker players wear waistcoats, shirt and trousers?

Why do snooker players wear waistcoats, shirt and trousers? And where does the tradition come from? Im just interested to know this as a little puzzled. Im wondering if it came from billiards where a gentleman would remove his jacket before a game of billiards.
    sigpic <---New Website
    Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

The original game of billiards played in the 18th and 19th century, standard dress code for the aristocracy included a waistcoat.

The so called upper-class did wear 3 piece suits. Today, office attire usually is a 2 piece suit (maybe 3 piece for a wedding).

The snooker players on television do look smart.

A waistcoat with front pockets is also useful for carry your chalk.

Todays youngsters turn up in scruffy t-shirts and jeans.

Snooker is a respectable game, and a decent appearance should be promoted.

I was thinking of buying a waistcoat myself for my own league games but do not know where to obtain one from.

Comment

traditionally yes it looks great. but i think snooker has to move with the times, and relax the dress code, i know there are a lot of people who disagree, and each to their own.

The applies as well for county comps etc. I agree polo shirt and trousers, but for your gold waistcoats etc for a sunday morning comp i think is extreme,..thats the one reason I won't play in them....Uncomfortable for me personally....But again horses for courses
      Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

Comment

Originally Posted by archalf1471 View Post
        I agree polo shirt and trousers, but for your gold waistcoats etc for a sunday morning comp i think is extreme,..thats the one reason I won't play in them....Uncomfortable for me personally....But again horses for courses
        I agree. When im in a pool tournament i always have polo shirt and trousers and think it still looks smart and is comfortable to play. But with snooker i always wondered why they wore what they did as i cannot think of another sport that is this way.
        sigpic <---New Website
        Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

I think all this "moving with the times" stuff is bollocks. Why don't we but Naval officers in Hawaiin shirts and beach shorts while we're at it? The waistcoat is part of snooker's image and you tinker with that at your peril - I'm willing to bet that Chinese sponsors were attracted to the 'gentlemanly' look of the game. Seriously, why would you want to look like a fat Yank with his gut hanging out over the table.

Comment

Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
            I think all this "moving with the times" stuff is bollocks. Why don't we but Naval officers in Hawaiin shirts and beach shorts while we're at it? The waistcoat is part of snooker's image and you tinker with that at your peril - I'm willing to bet that Chinese sponsors were attracted to the 'gentlemanly' look of the game. Seriously, why would you want to look like a fat Yank with his gut hanging out over the table.
            think there is only stephen lee that arguably would look like a fat yank as you so eloquently put it....

and can you elaborate on why "moving with the times" is "bollocks" or is that it just "bollocks"????

Comment

i bet if you gave the pro's a choice not 1 would want to play in a waistcoat there are plenty of ways to look smart and not wear a waistcoat.

Comment

Isn't it a tradition at the start of the World's for a celebrity to call aloud...
                "Gentlemen, fasten your waistcoats!" ?

=o)

Noel

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
                  i bet if you gave the pro's a choice not 1 would want to play in a waistcoat there are plenty of ways to look smart and not wear a waistcoat.

completely agree with you

Comment

...and I tought waistcoat prevents loose shirt touching balls when bending down on table...:snooker:

Comment

It could be but the waistcoates look really ****!(My opinion,facts****)

Comment

"Gentlemen, fasten your waistcoats!"
                        urg! I hate fastening!!!!!!! It`s such a **** and I think every player has his or her dignity they DON`T want to loose and dis happens through "safety thinking"!! I am on the COOL side of life ;-)))))))) *SNOOKER FLAT OUT**!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by tepe View Post
                          ...and I tought waistcoat prevents loose shirt touching balls when bending down on table...:snooker:
                          I've actually seen a pool tournament on TV once where someone's loose shirt got him fouled in precisely that manner.
                          "And I'd give him my right arm to have his cue action - poetry in motion."

Ronnie O'Sullivan on Steve Davis

Comment

I guess that the material from which the waistcoat is made is very suitable for sliding the cue to your chest while cueing. I don't know whether you have noticed, but some fabrics are too slipery, which makes your cueing very unstable in the chest area. (i'm talking about the four spots where the cue is held, grip, chest, chin and bridge).

Comment

In my opinion, the waistcoats should stay. It is the game and it simply would not be right to change.

Comment

Working...
                              X