Re-tipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-tipping

Hi all ,has anyone got any good ideas on how to level off a ferrule perfectly for re-tipping, i.e some kind of home made sanding block that will level it off 100 % smack on .I know you can try stanley blades ect,and sometimes I may try and file it level but it is usually virtually impossible once you get an imperfection to then get it perfectly flat ? Just wondering what others may do if they havent got the right tools?
    :snooker:

Flattening a ferrule

It's difficult to do as you ask if you haven't got access to the right machinery.That said you can make an inexpensive jig to use out of a flat piece of wood.
    You need a reasonable piece of wood,not best oak,but not too soft.100mm square or thereabouts should do it.It needs to be reasonably thick,at least 40mm,the thicker the better really.
    Lay the wood on the work top and hold your cue up to it to measure how far it comes up the shaft from the ferrule.Hold your finger on the spot and measure how wide your shaft is at this point.Now if it's say 12mm,this is the size of the hole you need to drill in your block of wood.This hole needs to be in the centre of the wood and needs drilling on a drill press to keep it perpendicular.If you don't have one of these you are going to have to call in a favour off a mate.It's really important to get this hole at right angles to the face of the timber.
    All you need to do then is to wind some masking tape around your ferrule until the diameter is the same as further up the shaft and the hole is a good sliding fit.
    Measure the distance from the hole to the edge of the wood and get a telephone directory the same thickness,lay the butt on the phone book and position the ferrule at the end of the worktop and there you have it,get your file out.......

Comment

I'm confused? any chance of some diagrams?
      http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

i dont think it matters if the ferral is not level, well up to a point, i.e not resembling a sky slope

u can just get the tip on and if the tip doesnt look straight then file it into shape, works for me

Comment

I'll give you the best tip for getting it flat...

Turn the cue upside down on its head.

Put some sand paper down.

Put the ferrule on the paper and twist
          in circles while applying pressure. Do this
          for a few mins., checking intermittently.

Comment

I guess you can drill a hole on a piece of wood as suggested, but I will get a couple more to support the middle sections. The wood blocks can be fixed on a bench with bolts, so you can slide the cue in this set up and the cue would stay still. I would make some rubber or plastic collets to protect the wood that goes into the holes. You can try to cut the collets with water hose.
            If you can attach a drill to the back of the shaft, you may actually be able to get yourself a simple lathe.
            To get the face on the ferrule, may be you can use a block of wood mounted on the bench to guide your file so it will go in at the same angle to file the top perpendicular to the shaft. If you just file it by hand, it still could be uneven.
            I have never done the job this way before, just off the top of my head I think this might work. You may be able to use thsi set up to do other works on your cue as well.
            I am sure you need to use common sense to iron out some little problems though. I think the biggest problem is to drill those holes so they all line up and are perpendilur to the block.
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

bonoman1970:

You don't need expensive tools for this, to check, place the blade edge across the ferrule, and see for any light between it and the ferrule, all along the top, but be CAREFUL, it's sharp!

A flat ferrule is VERY important, one of the most important parts of re-tipping because an analogy of this would be a chair with one leg missing, the tip must sit on a proper surface.

Just using a file to level the ferrule is one way, there isn't really a set method as nowadays there are lots of re-tipping methods that all work to get the same result, don't use anything too harsh though.

bongo

Comment

Yes, I would say using a blade is the easiest way. I think he said he does not like that method and is looking for something more precise, on a ferrule which has already been messed up.
                I would say you can still fix that with a blade, but it would take some experience.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                  Yes, I would say using a blade is the easiest way. I think he said he does not like that method and is looking for something more precise, on a ferrule which has already been messed up.
                  I would say you can still fix that with a blade, but it would take some experience.
                  Hi there, if the ferrule is damaged in some way or slanted to one side. This could be a problem, although not a major one, it must be sorted as soon as possible. I am well experienced in this field , so this would not be a problem for me using either stanley knife/blade & a file, or in extreme cases I would just replace the ferrule, most players don't have access to a lathe or machine shop equipment, I do have some simular devises myself as well a small machine tools, but this is perhaps an easier way for you to sort it out for yourself.

checkout the link below, I hope this helps, good luck.

http://www.cheapshotbilliards.com/cu...r-machine.html
                  don't miss!

Comment

I personally do not like the sanding disc, because I have found that it is impossible to move it in only one plane perpendicular to the cue. The disc tends to move all over the face, and would cause the face to be uneven.
                    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                    X