Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue Cleaning

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me the best products to use for cleaning my cue. I.e which oil/wax (as i have heard this is the best treatment) and also the best way to get my ferrule the perfect polished finish?

Thanks

Edd

Is your cue oiled or varnish finished?

To clean the ferrel use 0000 grade wire wool.
    sigpic <---New Website
    Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

You could just wipe the cue down with a damp cloth (Not ringing wet) and then buff up with a dry terry towel. This works for both oil and varnish/laquered cues. But if your cue is stained with chalk you could (Not on laquer/Varnish) just get a little wire wool and rubb the shaft down. This will clean all the nasty chalk residue and dirt off. Then wipe with a little linseed oil and leave over night, then buff any remaining oil off and let rest for a week before play. Or for a real new cue feel you may want to try this:

Oiling (Feeding the wood)

Whenever i need to oil/clean up my cue i go through several processes as preparation is everything. Ive used raw and boiled and never really noticed a difference except the drying times and the fact boiled tends to add a little more age to the cue. Which sometimes is never a bad thing.

This is only for cues that have NOT been treated with varnish

1) Sand off and remove all laquer/Varnish. If your cue is oil finished goto 1a. But make sure you know your cue is what it says it is. Last thing you want is to be sanding that black paint off if you thought it was ebony.

1a) Using very very fine grade wire wool (0000) i clean the joints and ferrel. On the ferrel try to stick to one direction, otherwise you will get a very fine scratchy effect.

2) Wipe cloth down with ever so slightly damp cloth and immediately wipe dry with a clean towel.

3) Then take the fine wire wool on the shaft and rub in a downwards direction, but not too hard, just enough to smooth. NEVER! go in different directions.

4) Now get a small piece of fine wire wool and add a little linseed oil to it and rub onto the cue. This helps the oil get into the wood.

5) Leave 12 hours

6) With a lint free cloth, buff up the cue. But make one pass first as there maybe bits of wire wool deposited. Then shake the cloth before continuing.

7) Now apply evenly using a rag more linseed oil and leave another 12 hours.

8) With a lint free cloth, buff up the cue.

If the cue is not lovely and shiny by then i go back and repeat till i get the desired look. It takes about a week to properly cue. When done i have found a beeswax stick rubbed on the cue and then buffed off gives extra protection. But it does take alot of buffing. Then finally try some colron finishing wax to polish.
      sigpic <---New Website
      Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Thank you very much for the help. I shall give my cue my full attention when the season ends a week before christmas and do the job properly. As i play every week at the moment i may feel rushed in finishing the job, but i have an excellent idea now about how im going to do it.

Much appreciated

Edd

Comment

sorry to but in but how would someone be able to tell what finish is on there cue

Comment

i use a damp cloth and then buff with a dry cloth, but my cue is a varnished finish.

Comment

Working...
            X