Free ball for being jawed/cornered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free ball for being jawed/cornered?

Let's say we're down to the last three colours and I'm trailing by 25 points. Pink is in the jaws of the green pocket, blue and black at the other end. My opponent tries to play a thin clip on the blue, misses completely and ends up in the jaws of the yellow pocket, preventing a route to the blue. I'm now 20 behind, but there's still only 18 remaining. Would I be given a free-ball, meaning I could take pink and thus win the frame?
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

A Free Ball is only called when a snooker exists after a foul.
    The pocket jaws are not considered for snooker.

So in your scenario, it is a foul because the ball on was not hit and the usual two options apply - you play yourself from where the balls lie or ask the offending player to play again from where the balls lie.
    No Free Ball option as there is no snooker (see below*).
    No Miss as penalty points are required by a player (unless the foul shot was considered to be not a good enough attempt).

*IF any of the other balls are in direct line between the cue ball and object ball - then a snooker does exist and a Free Ball option will be called.

[The old rule "Angled" was removed from the rules back in 1995]

for further info on free balls and this scenario, see the great post:
    https://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/bo...f-you-have-one
    Last edited by DeanH; 16 November 2019, 01:16 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks, Dean. Very concise.
      "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Working...
      X