Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so the south west snooker academy is closed now ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so the south west snooker academy is closed now ?

Where will the likes of robert milkins sam baird and eden sharav get their practice ? isn’t this venue’s struggles and fall out with ws a good case for players to chip in and hire out a venue or building between themselves and stop fannying about in tired stale clubs , after all if you want to be a pro shouldn’t you cut out the sullbhit and put your money where your mouth is . cheers

Eden Sharav was playing on the table next to me in the Bathgate Snooker club, don't know if that's a regular spot for him to practice now. That was earlier this year.
    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
      Eden Sharav was playing on the table next to me in the Bathgate Snooker club, don't know if that's a regular spot for him to practice now. That was earlier this year.
      yes my guess is he seems like someone who doesn't need pro snooker to make a living , like liang wenbo ( what i heard about wenbo anyway ) , i met sharav when i visited the swsa and asked him about the state and future of snooker , would have been better off talking to one of the lorry drivers outside :-)

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post
        Where will the likes of robert milkins sam baird and eden sharav get their practice ?s
        I think that there are still two tables at the venue, which is now entirely private... used for the likes of Milkins to practice and for local league matches. Otherwise not open at all to the general public.
        Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post

I think that there are still two tables at the venue, which is now entirely private... used for the likes of Milkins to practice and for local league matches. Otherwise not open at all to the general public.

Hi London Lad when i visited the swsa nearly four years ago i played in the area where there were about ten tables with the best two being the furthest away from the entrance milkins baird and sharav were on the one on the distant far left , could have swore i didn’t see those rows of chairs seen here , https://twitter.com/robmilkins147/st...83400922320896 am i mistaken or where about in the venue was that , thanks .

Comment

Hi London Lad when i visited the swsa nearly four years ago i played in the area where there were about ten tables with the best two being the furthest away from the entrance milkins baird and sharav were on the one on the distant far left , could have swore i didn’t see those rows of chairs seen here , https://twitter.com/robmilkins147/st...83400922320896 am i mistaken or where about in the venue was that , thanks .
            The original configuration had four match tables downstairs, four upstairs, a practice room with 4 and a 380-seat arena. It was reconfigured after 2014 Pink Ribbon to open up the upstairs match room, to accommodate the 10 tables. The practice room became a function room, and the downstairs area and arena were taken over by Paul Mount's company MIUS.

The seating area you can see has been in place since 2014, and is in the far corner by where table 1 was. There was a bit of a recess there because alongside the other tables on that side of the room there was a corridor (which had originally been used for the players to access the tables).

Comment

The original configuration had four match tables downstairs, four upstairs, a practice room with 4 and a 380-seat arena. It was reconfigured after 2014 Pink Ribbon to open up the upstairs match room, to accommodate the 10 tables. The practice room became a function room, and the downstairs area and arena were taken over by Paul Mount's company MIUS.

The seating area you can see has been in place since 2014, and is in the far corner by where table 1 was. There was a bit of a recess there because alongside the other tables on that side of the room there was a corridor (which had originally been used for the players to access the tables).
              cheers ten char

Comment

Looks nice that, it's a pity ,as once these clubs shut I doubt we will ever see the likes of them again. I don't know what other clubs are like but we have 15 tables and I would think we are classed as a big club now.
                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                  I don't know what other clubs are like but we have 15 tables and I would think we are classed as a big club now.
                  I do a lot with the WDBS and finding 14-table or larger clubs is difficult in itself, let alone those that are fully accessible for all disabilities!

Comment

I was gutted when I discovered the SWSA was closing because it was close and attracted a lot of big names for the tournaments but I only visited once so kicking myself I didn't go there more often to play or spectate while I had the chance. There was a bar and seating area with a window overlooking a large arena that was packed because there was a pro-am going on and a room with several tables that you had to pay to enter. Remember sitting with my parents in the bar and feeling star struck because Alan McManus was sitting at the next table. He was alone so it would have been a good opportunity to say a quick hello but I didn't.
                    www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
                      I was gutted when I discovered the SWSA was closing because it was close and attracted a lot of big names for the tournaments but I only visited once so kicking myself I didn't go there more often to play or spectate while I had the chance. There was a bar and seating area with a window overlooking a large arena that was packed because there was a pro-am going on and a room with several tables that you had to pay to enter. Remember sitting with my parents in the bar and feeling star struck because Alan McManus was sitting at the next table. He was alone so it would have been a good opportunity to say a quick hello but I didn't.
                      I was there for all of the Pink Ribbon events (and many more besides!) and these attracted up to 40 pro players. By and large they were all very approachable, and most were happy to chat with anyone. Ronnie, though, when he played Pink Ribbon in 2015, was straight in and straight out for his matches (apart from a 30-minute photo-signing session after his first match).

I think the only time you had to pay to spectate at any of the matches was when they staged any of the WS events, and when Jimmy White and Tony Drago did an exhibition when it first opened.

Comment

I was there for all of the Pink Ribbon events (and many more besides!) and these attracted up to 40 pro players. By and large they were all very approachable, and most were happy to chat with anyone. Ronnie, though, when he played Pink Ribbon in 2015, was straight in and straight out for his matches (apart from a 30-minute photo-signing session after his first match).

I think the only time you had to pay to spectate at any of the matches was when they staged any of the WS events, and when Jimmy White and Tony Drago did an exhibition when it first opened.
                        I think it was a pink ribbon event because of all the pros there, I saw Steve Davis leaving holding his cue as we arrived and Neil Robertson was playing a match in the arena.

I still managed to say hello to Dominic Dale who had just lost a match and was leaving. I probably sounded like a weirdo telling him how I often saw him walking to the Stroud Snooker club when I was driving home from work. I'm a pretty good judge of people and could tell he thought I was a fruit cake and just wanted to get away.

I remember the private room because the doors had windows and I could see the players. I saw Rory McLeod was playing and I used to work with Rory years earlier but because of the entry fee and mostly because I was there with my parents like a simpleton I didn't say hello.
                        Last edited by MrRottweiler; 19 June 2020, 01:55 AM.
                        www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Working...
                        X