Sharing a 147 Prize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing a 147 Prize

I've been looking at the prize breakdown of world championship tournaments and noticed this format for the 2008 World Championship.

Winner: ?250,000
    Runner-up: ?125,000
    Semi-final: ?52,000
    Quarter-final: ?22,000
    Last 16: ?14,000
    Last 32: ?10,600
    Last 48: ?7400
    Last 64: ?4500
    Stage one highest break: ?1000
    Stage two highest break: ?10,000
    Stage one maximum break: ?5000
    Stage two maximum break: ?147,000
    Total: ?1,050,000

Ronnie beat Ali in the final and during the tournament both players made a 147 but what is the difference between stage one and stage two? Is stage one qualifying and untelevised matches? I'm sure I remember a player back in the 90s or early 00s winning the WC and getting the 147 and high break prize to get the biggest payday at the time of over ?400,000 but can't remember who it was. It wasn't one cheque for that amount but after the final they received the winners prize and then the bonuses for the 147 and high break. I think it might have been John Higgins or Ronnie O'Sullivan.

If a player made a 147 during stage one and another player made a 147 at stage two how would that affect the cash amount they each receive? Would the stage one player get ?5000 and the stage two player get ?138,000?
    www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
    I've been looking at the prize breakdown of world championship tournaments and noticed this format for the 2008 World Championship.

Winner: ?250,000
    Runner-up: ?125,000
    Semi-final: ?52,000
    Quarter-final: ?22,000
    Last 16: ?14,000
    Last 32: ?10,600
    Last 48: ?7400
    Last 64: ?4500
    Stage one highest break: ?1000
    Stage two highest break: ?10,000
    Stage one maximum break: ?5000
    Stage two maximum break: ?147,000
    Total: ?1,050,000

Ronnie beat Ali in the final and during the tournament both players made a 147 but what is the difference between stage one and stage two? Is stage one qualifying and untelevised matches? I'm sure I remember a player back in the 90s or early 00s winning the WC and getting the 147 and high break prize to get the biggest payday at the time of over ?400,000 but can't remember who it was. It wasn't one cheque for that amount but after the final they received the winners prize and then the bonuses for the 147 and high break. I think it might have been John Higgins or Ronnie O'Sullivan.

If a player made a 147 during stage one and another player made a 147 at stage two how would that affect the cash amount they each receive? Would the stage one player get ?5000 and the stage two player get ?138,000?
    I think it is the TV stages, and they split the pot.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Yes the stage one player gets 5k and the stage two player 147k , there isn’t much of an onus on centuries and maximums in wc qualifiers where as its almost the complete opposite at the crucible , its a good thing that the 147k for the stage two has been done away with and its the same high break prize throughout the qualifiers and crucible stages as there’s enough of a disparity now between the wc winner 500k and say a losing last 48 player 15k .

https://wst.tv/wp-content/uploads/20...schedule-2.pdf

I’ve only found out about this now but this potential 147 prize pot seems a lot fairer too .

https://snookerhq.com/2019/05/01/bar...er%20campaign.

Comment

Thanks for the links and it's an interesting proposition from Hearn in 2019. Even before corona virus it would have been a big ask for 20 maximums in a season and if tournaments continue without an audience it''s probably less likely a player will opt for the maximum route and instead secure the frame. Or maybe with no audience players will be less nervous and there is a spike in 147s. I doubt it though because getting a 147 isn't just about being a good player. It's like poker where it's 90% skill and 10% luck.

What player am I thinking of that picked up a massive cheque because they won a tournament but also got a 147 when it was the days of a 147k prize? It's so long ago they might have even been the runner up and ended up winning more than the tournament winner.

What were the 147 prizes like during the Joe Davis era? Taking in to account inflation were there any huge paydays for players back then?
        www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

What player am I thinking of that picked up a massive cheque because they won a tournament but also got a 147 when it was the days of a 147k prize? It's so long ago they might have even been the runner up and ended up winning more than the tournament winner.
          the only tournament i know the runner up got more than the tournament winner was the crucible in 92 where jimmy white was the runner up to hendry but white got 40k more , it wasn't a 147k prize though , only 100k

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_W...hip#Prize_fund

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post

the only tournament i know the runner up got more than the tournament winner was the crucible in 92 where jimmy white was the runner up to hendry but white got 40k more , it wasn't a 147k prize though , only 100k

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_W...hip#Prize_fund
            Cheers for the stat and that is when Jimmy lost 10 frames in a row so what a bittersweet result. That's the final that always shows him sitting in his chair looking very peeved but when you lose 10 in a row you need to look closer to home. I like Jimmy and it's impossible not to but I loved how the furtive Hendry could demolish people in the 90s. He was like the Mike Tyson of the baize.
            www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Stephen Hendry is the only player to get the 147k prize and also win the tournament, in 1995. O'Sullivan and Carter also made maximum breaks in 2008 when they both reached the final, but of course they had to share the prize, so it wasn't as big. The other players who got the 147k prize all lost in the quarter-finals or earlier.

Comment

I think Hendry also got another 16k for the high break prize in 1995 in addition to the 147k, so the 147 pretty much doubled his winnings. Not a bad couple of weeks.

Comment

Working...
                X