Number of Strokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by DawRef View Post
    I suppose in an aggregate score match, if the player came to the table more than 155 points behind in the final frame, then yes, the answer could be zero (he could not play a stroke and concede). However, it is a normal frame of snooker and not an aggregate score match.
    so this must be real ?
    2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
    2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

OK. Although the answers below are possible, the answer I was looking for is this:
      Player A breaks off, misses the pack and hits the black. Player B comes to the table hits the pack and pots all 15 reds. He then takes the black as his colour. He then misses the yellow.
      Player B has scored 22 (15 reds and black) plus the foul for the black, giving him 29. There are only 27 points on the table and he has done this with 2 strokes.
      You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Pots all reds, pots black then misses the yellow... If I am not mistaken that is 3 strokes???
        In order to win this way in 2 strokes, the oponent would have to concede with one snooker required on his oponents turn which is against ettiquette. Therefore the previous mentioned situation are imo more likely
        sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

OK. Although the answers below are possible, the answer I was looking for is this:
          Player A breaks off, misses the pack and hits the black. Player B comes to the table hits the pack and pots all 15 reds. He then takes the black as his colour. He then misses the yellow.
          Player B has scored 22 (15 reds and black) plus the foul for the black, giving him 29. There are only 27 points on the table and he has done this with 2 strokes.
          this was thing i was thinking at first
          2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
          2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

...Player B comes to the table hits the pack and pots all 15 reds. He then takes the black as his colour. He then misses the yellow...
            ... for a total of 3 strokes (as he's still in when going for the yellow), or can't I count???

Comment

Not sure if this has been posted before.

What is the least number of strokes a player needs to make, to 'win' a frame of snooker (i.e. to leave his opponent needing snookers)?
              To quote the OP, the frame has been 'won' after the second stroke, ie potting the black. At that point the opponent needed snookers.

The further statement about missing the yellow is a somewhat spurious statement. However, technically the frame isn't won until all balls have been potted or the opponent concedes, and he can't do that until it's his turn, and in Dawref's case that couldn't happen until the third stroke (the missed yellow) has been made.

In practice though, it is not uncommon for an opponent to concede during a break, when snookers are already required, and the frame is obviously irretrievable, especially in a final frame, and when there's no chance of a big break being made.

Comment

still you don't 'leave the opponent leaving snookers', as it's not his turn. YOU are at the table. if you snookered yourself on the yellow... ...

I see the point, did before, but just meant: you cannot walk away, 'leaving' him, needing snookers. you GOT TO play one more.

Comment

Originally Posted by missneworleans View Post
                  Zero! Opponents breaks off pots a red but gets snookered and misses 35 times
                  I think missneworleans cleared this up correctly a few days ago ...

Comment

Originally Posted by Krypton View Post
                    still you don't 'leave the opponent leaving snookers', as it's not his turn. YOU are at the table. if you snookered yourself on the yellow... ...

I see the point, did before, but just meant: you cannot walk away, 'leaving' him, needing snookers. you GOT TO play one more.
                    I think we're agreed.... which is why I went on to say what I did in my second paragraph of my last post.

Comment

Working...
                    X