Longest Safety play without potting a ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longest Safety play without potting a ball

Whats the longest safety play without potting a ball in a professional snooker match?

I remember something more than 30 minutes in Selby-Hamilton QF at Welsh Open in 2009
    2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
    2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Originally Posted by missneworleans View Post
      I remember something more than 30 minutes in Selby-Hamilton QF at Welsh Open in 2009
      Yes, and what a great frame it was. I think it was on the last red, with the yellow (possibly) blocking the right corner pocket, which made it quite easy for both players to keep the red safe. I think it was something like 27 minutes, and I remember the commentators saying it was the record at the time.

Not sure if it still stands though.

Comment

thanks any others

Comment

What about the Murphy - Harold match three or four years ago. The scoreboard stood still for ages, but I don´t know how long, but it´s the longest frame in professional snooker lasting 93 minutes.
          Last edited by Rane; 13 January 2011, 07:57 AM.
          ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
          "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Two Crucible instances which must be right up there:

Steve Davis v. Tony Meo, 1991 - frame 14 involved a 25-minute safety battle on the yellow, Meo eventually winning the frame 87-72.

Cliff Thorburn v. Doug Mountjoy - frame 18 featured 21 minutes on the brown. Mountjoy won the frame 98-53.

These two frames were the longest ever at the Crucible, both timed at 69 minutes, before being superseded by that frame of the 2006 final (which, incidentally, was in progress 17 minutes before a ball was potted so don't know if that counts!).

The Ebdon-Dott frame was itself superseded in 2009 by Mark King and Stephen Maguire who took an hour and a quarter to complete their second frame. I don't know any details as to whether there were any long pot-free preiods in that one.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
              The Ebdon-Dott frame was itself superseded in 2009 by Mark King and Stephen Maguire who took an hour and a quarter to complete their second frame. I don't know any details as to whether there were any long pot-free preiods in that one.
              I was sat in the Crucible watching that frame and I seem to recall they took ages to pot the green. We were tuned into the commentary through our earpieces and I remember when Maguire potted the green, Terry Griffiths got all excited and blurted out "they've potted one!!!" [which was greeted by a large cheer from the crowd]. He then went on, "and just as they were about to send out for the tea and sandwiches!"

Quality from The Griff!

Comment

Working...
              X