Heated snooker table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heated snooker table

Can anyone tell me WHEN and WHERE the first heated snooker table was used in a professional tournament ?

You would have to go back before the 1930's and the billiard pros.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I think that would have been with those oil filled rads/pipes, yes?
      I recall Geoff having a photo of an old estate house table-refit he was doing and there were big pipes under the table.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

So were the tables on pot black heated as i remember watching this but dont recall anyone mentioning they were heated

Comment

First heated billiards table to be used in professional tournament was in 1927 - in New York maybe?

Comment

one for 100 upper to look up in his old adverts and sales books for sales of heaters for snooker tables .

but there are tables around in those large country houses that have central heating pipes and rads under the table these would have been around the 1930s/40s , I have even seen a naked gas flame under chinaman's metal hat under the spot end of one table we took out in ilkeston Derbyshire in the 1980s , and the chap said the flame has been lit for many years and had never gone out , the slate was buckled with excessive heat though .
            as for competitions tables on TV , I don't think they used them until around the 1970s onwards maybe even later when electric heaters where used , you would have to ask the old Riley boys who where fitting tables around that time for the TV tournaments or BCE .

as for heating rubber that was done in the 1880s by using zinc long tubes filled with hot water to soften the nine vulcanised rubber .
            [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

Originally Posted by Geoff Large View Post
              one for 100 upper to look up in his old adverts and sales books for sales of heaters for snooker tables .

but there are tables around in those large country houses that have central heating pipes and rads under the table these would have been around the 1930s/40s , I have even seen a naked gas flame under chinaman's metal hat under the spot end of one table we took out in ilkeston Derbyshire in the 1980s , and the chap said the flame has been lit for many years and had never gone out , the slate was buckled with excessive heat though .
              as for competitions tables on TV , I don't think they used them until around the 1970s onwards maybe even later when electric heaters where used , you would have to ask the old Riley boys who where fitting tables around that time for the TV tournaments or BCE .

as for heating rubber that was done in the 1880s by using zinc long tubes filled with hot water to soften the nine vulcanised rubber .
              Hi Geoff, I know when I talked to you about heating my table you mentioned to not put the heat to close to the slate. I had originally bought what we call here Nu Heat which we order to fit for under tile floor. I ended up taking it back and bought four Damp Chasers off TD and used them but I heard on the weekend that WS has gone to pads which are attached directly to the slates. Do you know anything about this?
              " Practice to improve not just to waste time "
              " 43 Match - 52 Practice - 13 Reds in Line Up "
              http://www.ontariosnooker.club

Comment

Working...
              X