Snooker Quiz - Enjoy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker Quiz - Enjoy!

1 Which of the following two Snooker players won the Player of the Year award in 1986?

2 The 2012 Masters event had no final frame deciders throughout the event, but how many final frame deciders were there in the 2013 Masters?

3 Which of Jimmy White's childhood friends from Tooting, London, England, was also a snooker professional, nicknamed "The Cat"?

4 How many balls are on a snooker table before any balls have been sunk?

5 In 1989, Steve Davis won the World Title for the sixth time, but how many frames did he lose in that tournament?

6 Who won the 1983 Professional Players Tournament?

7 Ronnie won his first World Championship title in the 2000-01 season. Which player did he defeat in the final?

8 How many maximum breaks did Stephen Hendry have in the '90s?

9 Which of these is the nickname of 4 time world snooker champion John Higgins?

The Merlin of Milton
    The Hurricane
    The Shotgun
    The Wizard of Wishaw

10 Who won the Embassy World Championship 1991?

11 Jimmy White was born on 2nd May 1962, who was the snooker player that shared the same birth date but was one year older than Jimmy and played in the 1991 world championship world semi-final?

12 Name a snooker player born in a town with no vowels in it’s name.

13 Which player is nicknamed, "The Whirlwind"?

14 The same man held the world championship title from 1992 to 1996. What is his name?

15 In what year did Hendry win his first World Championship final?

16 In 1997, who did Stephen Hendry beat 9-8 to win the Benson and Hedges Irish Masters?

17 Who was the 1984 World Championship Runner-up?

18 Who did Jimmy White beat in the semi-finals of the 1984 Benson & Hedges Masters tournament?

- 19 What break did Stevens make in the tenth frame of that semi-final?

- 20 White won the match with a 119 clearance in the next, and went on to beat who 9-5 in the final?

21 A player has potted a red, and on the next shot plays for a red, and pots it too. What is the outcome?

22 How many times did the lead change hands in the final frame of the 1985 Embassy world snooker championship final?

23 Is it necessary to hit the red balls in a direct line in a break-off shot?

24 Which player won the Snooker Player of the Year award in the years of: 1994, 2001, 2004, 2005 and 2008?

25 What is the highest break that can be achieved in a game of snooker?

26 What is the name of the theatre in Sheffield where the World Professional Snooker championships take place?

27 How many pockets are there on a standard snooker table?

28 Who won six World Professional Snooker Championships in the 1970s?

29 The governing body that currently organises the World Championships is called the WPBSA – for what do these initials stand?

30 Which year was the first World Snooker Championship held?

31 The majority of the winners of the World Championships are from UK countries (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). Can you name the 3 other nationalities of winners of this title?

32 How many red balls are used in a standard game of snooker?

33 Who split their trousers playing in the 1980 World Team Cup Challenge live on TV?

34 Who has come closest to matching Shaun Murphy in coming through qualifying to win the world title?

35 Who did John Parrott whitewash 10-0 in the 1992 world championship?

36 What is the Crucible’s maximum seating capacity?

37 Which of the following colours are not to be found on a snooker ball (standard play)?
    Blue
    Pink
    Brown
    Orange

38 Who won the 1992 World Matchplay?

- 39 Who did he beat in the final?

40 In 1993, Ronnie defeated Stephen Hendry 10-6 to win his first world ranking title at which event?
    Last edited by 147Jim; 10 May 2020, 05:25 PM.
    Practice, Learn, Improve, Enjoy, Practice, Learn, Improve, Enjoy :snooker:

off the top of my head - I am not good at who won what event (even the World )

1 Which of the following two Snooker players won the Player of the Year award in 1986?
    Which two? But I would say Steve Davis.

3 Which of Jimmy White's childhood friends from Tooting, London, England, was also a snooker professional, nicknamed "The Cat"?
    Tony Meo

9 Which of these is the nickname of double world snooker champion John Higgins?
    The Wizard of Wishaw

sure he has won it 4 times?

Jimmy

14 The same man held the world championship title from 1992 to 1996. What is his name?
    Hendry

- 19 What break did Stevens make in the tenth frame of that semi-final?
    Max

21 A player has potted a red, and on the next shot plays for a red, and pots it too. What is the outcome?
    Foul 7 points penalty

22 How many times did the lead change hands in the final frame of the the Embassy world snooker championship final?
    Which year?

No

25 What is the highest break that can be achieved in a game of snooker?

26 What is the name of the theatre in Sheffield where the World Professional Snooker championships take place?
    Crucible

Ray Reardon

29 The governing body that currently organises the World Championships is called the WPBSA – for what do these initials stand?
    World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association

31 The majority of the winners of the World Championships are from UK countries (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). Can you name the 3 other nationalities of winners of this title?
    Canada, Australia, Ireland

33 Who split their trousers playing in the 1980 World Team Cup Challenge live on TV?
    Big Bill

34 Who has come closest to matching Shaun Murphy in coming through qualifying to win the world title?
    Ding (?)

37 Which of the following colours are not to be found on a snooker ball (standard play)?
    Orange

Last edited by DeanH; 11 May 2020, 02:44 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Just realised something, everyone can now see your answers lol I've tweaked the pissed questions, what happened to 38, 39, 40?
      Last edited by 147Jim; 10 May 2020, 05:27 PM.

Comment

And 35 and 36?

Comment

I see up to 40
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Question 19 answers question 18
            i think I did better than expected, reckon I got two, including question 18
            question 21, does it mean the player hasn't nonminated a colour before he pots the other red ?
            Last edited by itsnoteasy; 10 May 2020, 07:35 PM.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

1) don't know, 2) don't know, 3) Tony Miaow , 4) 22 , 5) don't know, 6) don't know, 7) John Higgins, 8) don't know, 9) the wizard of wishaw, 10) Parrott, 11) don't know, 12) Mark Willliams/somebody welsh anyway,
              13) Jimmy White, 14) Hendry, 15) 1990, 16) don't know, 17) Jimmy White, 18) Kirk Stevens, 19) 147, 20) Terry Griffiths, 21) foul 7 point penalty, 22) once, 23) no, 24) don't know, 25) 155, 26) crucible, 27) 6
              28) Reardon, 29) world professional billiards and snooker association, 30) 1927, 31) australia, canada and eire , 32) 15, but none for Mark Williams and Peter Ebdon 33) Werbeniuk, 34) Terry Griffiths, Alex Higgins both won at their first attempt apart from that no idea, 35) Thorburn 36) 960 or thereabouts, 37) orange, 38) don't know, 39) don't know, 40 UK championship

googled nothing how did I do ?
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

1 I guess Davis or Johnson. Gonna pick Johnson as he won the World Title that year.

2 No idea.

3 Don't know

4 22

5 Aaarh, I know that this is the record for winning the title with the least amount of frames lost (2nd is Hendry in 1993), but don't remember how much exactly. He beat Parrott 18-3 in the final. Think it was in the low 20s. 23 frames?

6 No idea. Werbeniuk?

7 That's easy. I know all World Champions and finalists in the Crucible era, not sure only in the early years sometimes. He beat John Higgins. I believe it was 18-11.

8 5?

9 The Wizard of Wishaw (for Bonus the others are Maguire, Alex Higgins and Cope)

10 John Parrott, beating Jimmy White in the final.

11 Don't know. That's a semifinal I haven't on my radar right now. Was well before my time of watching snooker.

12 Surely a Welsh one. Ryan Day?

13 Jimmy WHite

14 Now that's tough... Stephen Hendry

15 1990

16 Don't know. O'Sullivan?

17 Jimmy White, suffering the first of his six losses - against Steve Davis

18 Don't know. Kirk Stevens, as your next question seems to suggest this?

- 19 146?

- 20 Davis?

21 1 point for the player for the correct red, 7 points for his opponent for the foul on the next shot.

22 No idea.

23 No

24 Has to be O'Sullivan

25 155 with a free ball

26 Crucible

27 6

28 Ray Reardon

29 World Professional Billards and Snooker Association

30 1929?

31 Canada (Thorburn), Australia (Robertson), Ireland (Doherty)

32 15

33 No idea.

34 Griffiths won in 1979 also as a qualifier.

35 Eddie Charlton

36 964 or something like that

37 Orange

38 DOn't know. Hendry?

- 39 Don't know. McManus?

40 UK Championship

Comment

1,Don't understand question one, did two players share the honour if so I will go for Davis and JJ as they played the wc final.
                  2, 5 , no idea really.
                  3, Tony Meo, didn't know he was called the cat but I get it.
                  5, 22 ? Pretty sure it's in the low twenties, sure I read it somewhere.
                  6, Doug Mountjoy, no idea.
                  7,don't know Dott or Ebdon
                  8, did Hendry have 11/12 altogether so maybe 6 or 7
                  9,TWofW
                  10,no idea Parrot or Doherty, I'll go for Parrot.
                  11, may as well stick with Parrot.
                  12, Dominic Dale ? Complete guess.
                  13,JW
                  14, Hendry
                  15, 1990
                  16, Ronnie.
                  17,no idea, can't even guess.
                  18', Kirk Stevens
                  20,don't know, Davis.
                  21, foul 7 if he didnt nominate.
                  22, once, when Taylor potted the black.
                  23,hmm not sure did they change the rules when Quinton Hann was smashing them from the back ? Not sure so I will say no.
                  24,Ronnie
                  26, crucible
                  27, 6
                  28, Ray Reardon
                  29, World Professional Billards and snooker association.
                  30,no idea 1972.
                  31,Ireland, Canada, Australia ( ken, cliff and Robertson)
                  33, don't know, Kirk Stevens.
                  34, TG won it as a qualifier but if you mean since Murphy, it has to be Ding who lost in the final.
                  35,no idea, Graham Miles , Nigel bond ?
                  36,around 1500-2000
                  37,orange.
                  38,don't know Jimmy ?
                  39 again no idea Hendry.
                  40,Grand Prix, sponsored by some fag company, Rothmans maybe.
                  41, I'm really really stupid.

Comment

Okay, let's see... A nice set of questions, ranging from sitters to very difficult ones. I quite enjoyed that. :smile: There are 20 I am 100% sure about, and a few others where I am quite confident about my guess.

The sitters:
                    4 - 22
                    7 - John Higgins
                    9 - The Wizard of Wishaw
                    10 - John Parrott
                    13 - Jimmy White
                    14 - Stephen Hendry
                    15 - 1990
                    17 - Jimmy White
                    18 - Kirk Stevens
                    23 - No
                    25 - 155
                    26 - The Crucible Theatre
                    27 - Six
                    28 - Ray Reardon
                    29 - World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association
                    31 - Irish, Australian and Canadian
                    32 - 15
                    35 - Eddie Charlton
                    37 - Orange
                    40 - The UK Championship

I'm guessing everyone probably got those. :smile:

Some more I am reasonably sure about:
                    12 - Mark Williams? I think he is from a place called "Cwm" or something like that. Not sure how I would even pronounce that. :smile:
                    19 - 147? He famously made a maximum in that match, so I'm guessing it's not a trick question and he did indeed make it in the 10th frame. :smile:
                    21 - If I understand this correctly, it would be a foul and presumably 7 away.
                    24 - Ronnie O'Sullivan? Surely has to be, as the years correspond to three of his World titles.
                    30 - 1927? Not 100% sure about that one, but I think it's probably correct.
                    33 - Bill Werbeniuk?
                    34 - Well, Terry Griffiths won it as a qualifier, didn't he? So I guess he has "come closest". Other than that, there are a number of players who have lost in the final, but I think Trump's 18-15 defeat in 2011 is the closest in terms of the scoreline.
                    36 - 980? Something very close to that anyway. :smile:

And now we're left with mostly guessing:
                    1 - Steve Davis? Tempted to say Johnson, but I'm not sure whether the World champion won that award by default most years.
                    2 - 4? I must confess I'm struggling to remember which matches belong to which year, especially in the period where Selby, Robertson and Murphy contested the finals. Very difficult to remember the last 16 and the QF results from that time. :smile:
                    3 - The only question where I can't even guess. Haven't heard that nickname before. :smile:
                    5 - 35? I know he only lost three frames in the final, but I'm not sure how one sided his matches were in the early rounds.
                    6 - Jimmy White? Guessing here, I'm not really good with the stats from the 80s. :smile:
                    8 - 7? I know he was still 9-8 ahead of O'Sullivan at some point in the mid 00s, but I'm not sure how many of those were made after 2000. :smile:
                    11 - Steve James? No clue about the dates, but the World SF in 1991 does seem to fit.
                    16 - Ronnie O'Sullivan? Pure guess. :smile:
                    20 - Cliff Thorburn? I should know this really, but for some reason no player rings a bell. I guess it's because White's SF match is the one that is usually remembered.
                    22 - Twice? I can picture the last few dozen shots in my head, but I'm not sure about the scoreline at all.
                    38 - Jimmy White?
                    39 - Stephen Hendry? Guessing about both of these really. :smile:

Comment

Was Trump a qualifier when he lost in the final. I knew it was his first time but didn't think he had to qualify.

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                        Was Trump a qualifier when he lost in the final. I knew it was his first time but didn't think he had to qualify.
                        yes without checking i'm pretty sure he beat neil robertson the defending champ on the first saturday night , so he was a qualifier .

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post

yes without checking i'm pretty sure he beat neil robertson the defending champ on the first saturday night , so he was a qualifier .
                          I think you are right,pretty sure he did beat Robertson.

Comment

Yes, the seeding for the World Championship was done before the China Open which Trump won. I think the points from that would have got him to something like 15th in the rankings.

Still, not as bad as the 2005 World Championship, which had the defending champion O'Sullivan playing the UK Champion Maguire in the 1st round, and Maguire himself was provisionally ranked in the top4 for almost the entire season. :smile:

Comment

Having lost the answers lol I've gone back and checked the possibly difficult ones;

1 Which of the following two Snooker players won the Player of the Year award in 1986? Steve Davis and Joe Johnson

2 The 2012 Masters event had no final frame deciders throughout the event, but how many final frame deciders were there in the 2013 Masters? 7

5 In 1989, Steve Davis won the World Title for the sixth time, but how many frames did he lose in that tournament? 23

6 Who won the 1983 Professional Players Tournament? Tony Knowles

7 Ronnie won his first World Championship title in the 2000-01 season. Which player did he defeat in the final?

8 How many maximum breaks did Stephen Hendry have in the '90s? 7

9 Which of these is the nickname of 4 time world snooker champion John Higgins?

The Merlin of Milton
                              The Hurricane
                              The Shotgun
                              The Wizard of Wishaw

10 Who won the Embassy World Championship 1991?

11 Jimmy White was born on 2nd May 1962, who was the snooker player that shared the same birth date but was one year older than Jimmy and played in the 1991 world championship world semi-final?

Steve James

12 Name a snooker player born in a town with no vowels in it’s name. Mark Williams (Cwm)

15 In what year did Hendry win his first World Championship final?

16 In 1997, who did Stephen Hendry beat 9-8 to win the Benson and Hedges Irish Masters? Darren Morgan

17 Who was the 1984 World Championship Runner-up? Jimmy

18 Who did Jimmy White beat in the semi-finals of the 1984 Benson & Hedges Masters tournament? (the answer's in the next question lol - Kirk Stevens)

- 19 What break did Stevens make in the tenth frame of that semi-final? 147

- 20 White won the match with a 119 clearance in the next, and went on to beat who 9-5 in the final? Terry Griffiths

21 A player has potted a red, and on the next shot plays for a red, and pots it too. What is the outcome? 7 point penalty.

22 How many times did the lead change hands in the final frame of the 1985 Embassy world snooker championship final?

24 Which player won the Snooker Player of the Year award in the years of: 1994, 2001, 2004, 2005 and 2008?

25 What is the highest break that can be achieved in a game of snooker? 155 (I'd accept 147)

34 Who has come closest to matching Shaun Murphy in coming through qualifying to win the world title? Trump.

35 Who did John Parrott whitewash 10-0 in the 1992 world championship?

36 What is the Crucible’s maximum seating capacity? 980

Blue
                              Pink
                              Brown
                              Orange

38 Who won the 1992 World Matchplay? James Wattana

- 39 Who did he beat in the final? The Nugget

40 In 1993, Ronnie defeated Stephen Hendry 10-6 to win his first world ranking title at which event? The UK

:snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X