Ssb - o'sullivan in a league of his own

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - o'sullivan in a league of his own

The Partypoker.com Premier League, which begins again this week, is now one of snooker’s longest running events.

First held in 1987, it was the brainchild of Barry Hearn, the Matchroom supremo, who has taken snooker to parts of the UK not served by tournaments ever since.

The league’s current format is a series of live six frame matches featuring seven players under a 25 second per shot time limit.

Under this, Ronnie O’Sullivan has been unstoppable and starts favourite again this year.

It’s the perfect event for O’Sullivan, but the shot clock is only a small part of this. What he particularly likes about the league is that it is just a one night deal: he turns up, he plays, he goes home. It means the hanging around that you get at tournaments – and which he hates – doesn’t come into it.

There is also usually a great atmosphere because Premier League crowds are traditionally very strong and O’Sullivan, like most top players, revels in such an environment.

And don’t forget the not-so-small matter of £1,000 a frame and £1,000 for a century, making the league potentially more lucrative than a number of ranking tournaments, even though the top prize has been reduced by £20,000 this year.

Joining O’Sullivan in the 2009 line up are world champion John Higgins, world no.3 Shaun Murphy, Hong Kong’s Marco Fu, Aussie Neil Robertson, seven times Crucible king Stephen Hendry and Judd Trump, who won the qualifying tournament, the Championship League.

This isn’t the field everyone would have picked but Hearn is the promoter and he can choose whoever he wants. If it wasn’t for him, the league wouldn’t be taking place at all.

Which of these players can stop Ronnie this year?

Robertson, like quite a few players, did not adapt well to the shot clock on his debut a couple of years ago. If he can get used to it, he has every chance of success because this event favours attacking play.

The same therefore applies to Murphy, who I would expect to reach the play-offs.

Trump is still inexperienced on the big stage and this will be a big test for him. Will he sink or swim? Time will tell.

Hendry hasn’t impressed in the league in recent years and Higgins hasn’t won it since 1999, although both are obviously capable of doing the business.

For me, though, Fu is the dark horse. He won the league in 2003, albeit before the shot clock was introduced. He has a metronomic style but isn’t slow.

And, unlike most players, he has a superior head-to-head record against O’Sullivan.

But, the likeliest outcome is still victory for the world no.1.

No wonder Ronnie once described the league as his favourite event outside the World Championship.

More...

I'm really looking forward to watching this in HD.

Comment

It cant come quick enough for me!
      "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I’m surprised to see the top prize money lowered from 50k£ to 30k£. I mean, I’m expecting some cuts in the Grand Prix, UK Championship and the Masters too, since they’ve lost their main sponsors, but nothing like 40%!

I wonder what that says about shot clocks and short duration matches popularity...
        2008-09 Prediction Champion

Comment

Will there be free live streaming available? It's very difficult to watch snooker in my country. Our cable tv does not broadcast any euro channels.
          2009 Shanghai Roewe Masters Fantasy Game - 1ST RUNNER UP

Comment

I hope there will be streaming. Previous years it was streamed on betting websites (where you needed to register, but otherwise free) and usually on some other sites like justin.tv or atdhe.net
            ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

Given Statman's absence will the first round of matches be void for the predictions?
              TSF World Champion 2010
              TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
              BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Comment

Originally Posted by Alex0paul View Post
                Given Statman's absence will the first round of matches be void for the predictions?
                Well, since we all know the rules, there's no reason why someone else can't open the first round of predictions. Unless it was The Statman's decision not to run it at all of course.

Comment

I have missed seeing O'Sullivan play so much I think I'll say so.

=o(

Noel

Comment

Stephen Hendry or Shaun Murphy
                    relaxat
                    Booking manager
                    T W A

Comment

Working...
                    X