Ssb - net return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - net return

I still think snooker is poorly served by the internet in comparison to many other sports.

Yes, there’s the excellent global-snooker.com and the WPBSA’s site is better now than it’s been for a long time, there are snooker forums and blogs and various other sites as well but why don’t the top players have decent websites?

It seems to me to be a missed opportunity to project their personalities and, in doing so, further promote the sport.

Ten years ago, CueMasters – which were to become TSN and then 110sport – set up an all singing, all dancing website.

It was an excellent concept (although I’m biased because I worked on it) but they over-reached by trying to launch a rival tour and the original idea was overtaken and eventually scrapped.

Now, 110sport have re-hired the energetic Stewart Weir, the man behind the original site, in an attempt to launch a better, more interactive portal which will not only show live action but also give snooker fans the chance to interact with their favourite players.

“Having been asked back, I’d be a hypocrite to knock back the chance to do the sort of things online that I publicly said 110sport needed to be doing when I left two years ago. For me, it’s a great opportunity – not everyone is fortunate enough to get another crack at a project they believe in,” Weir told allscotlandmedia.com.

If he’s allowed to do the things that are needed, 110sport.tv will be a success and a significant step forward for the game on the internet, even if it’s come ten years after it should have.

Hopefully it will lead to a greater online presence for snooker, which in itself will give the sport a higher profile.

More...
Working...
X