Ssb - one day in prestatyn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - one day in prestatyn

So I spent the day in Prestatyn for the Grand Prix qualifiers.

To make it clear from the off, I was there for an interview and did not see a ball struck, in anger or for any other reason.

However, it was noticeable how upbeat the atmosphere was, which is not always the case at the dog-eat-dog environs of Pontin’s.

There’s no doubt that 110sport’s coverage of the qualifiers has created a buzz on site. Players are now getting recognition, either through match coverage or interviews, that they rarely receive elsewhere during the season.

And they deserve it. Most of these guys will not come close to becoming world champion but they are professionals and they play their part in keeping the circuit going.

They are all talented and it’s good to see them finally getting some exposure.

I was shown round 110’s operation and it is indeed impressive. There's a general feeling that a light has been shone on a part of the tour which hitherto existed in relative darkness.

It’s days like this that remind me why I like snooker so much after time spent with so many interesting folk – players, officials and others – that make up the travelling circus that is the professional circuit.

All those ignorant folk who say there are no characters in the game would do well to spend a day in North Wales.

There are characters here who you simply would not meet in any other walk of life.

Meanwhile, Ken Doherty’s resurgence continues apace. The 1997 world champion has now won five matches from six in ranking events this season – three more than he managed throughout the whole of the campaign just gone.

Any player rubbing their hands together at the thought that he is now an easy draw has been swiftly disabused of such a notion.

Some other well known faces struggled. There were defeats for Alan McManus (albeit after a five hour struggle with Rod Lawler), John Parrott (also 5-4, to Ian McCulloch) and Anthony Hamilton.

Prestatyn is a great leveller. Past reputations mean nothing. All that matters is grafting out a result.

Thursday is the big day when 16 players will earn their places in the main draw with the top 16.

I promise you, those who finally make it through will more than have deserved their place.

More...

i think 110sport covarage is excellent and im sure it is the case that players feels like they trully part of the snooker world instead of a throw away in a corner of north wales.

Comment

it was noticeable how upbeat the atmosphere was
      Yes and it is important. It does make a difference for any of us whether our work environment is stimulating or dull, snooker players are no different: this certainly can only boost their motivation.
      BTW that was exactly ROS point when he had that hearfelt tirade in the Masters in January: a gloomy atmosphere backstage and at venues is doing nothing to help players to stay motivated and give it their best or to promote the game or indeed to attract the audience and it was high time the authorities ackknoledged the situation and try to improve it. I'm glad that some things have been tried by WPBSA indeed and glad it is done in collaboration with other actors or even at the initiative of other actors (in this case 110). That's the way to go. Some initiatives may not be sucessfull but at least something is done and that's very positive.
      Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
      http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

I understand the price is now £3 - for a whole day unlimited watching or what?

Comment

Selty is the star man in qualifying so far this season 7 wins out of 7

Robbo Unbeatable in ranking finals 6 out of 6

COME ON ROBBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by hegeland View Post
            I understand the price is now £3 - for a whole day unlimited watching or what?
            3 per day (two matches) or 9 for the whole tournament (8 matches)
            New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

Working...
            X