Ssb - the art of the matter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - the art of the matter

This is a link to a painting done by Ronnie O'Sullivan.

And here is a link to one done by Stephen Hendry.

This one had input from a legion of world champions.

They were created using snooker cues as part of an exhibition by The Willow Foundation, which was set up by former Arsenal goalkeeper and TV sports presenter Bob Wilson and his wife.

'The Art of Sport' includes works by Sir Alex Ferguson, Thierry Henry, Joe Calzaghe and Ricky Hatton. Each sportsman has used apparatus to paint that they would ordinarily use in their sporting life.

The artworks can be viewed on the website I've linked to and close up at the Catto Gallery, Hamstead, London from September 25 to 27.

You can even buy originals or prints of the paintings. Proceeds go to the Willow Foundation, which provides special days for young adults suffering from serious illnesses. Wilson and his wife set it up after their daughter died of cancer at the age of 31.

I wonder if Ronnie received any tips from his friend Damien Hirst? Good for him and Stephen for taking part in a worthwhile enterprise.

I can't claim to have any insight into the art world, but I recall the words of Mr. Burns when presented with a picture of himself painted by Marge in The Simpsons:

"I'm not an art expert but I know what I hate and I don't hate this."

More...

I think Ronnie is trying to tell us that we should always stay on the correct side of the blue, work around black's spot,spread the reds all over the table and use d-line colours very rarely
    All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

Originally Posted by montoya10 View Post
      I think Ronnie is trying to tell us that we should always stay on the correct side of the blue, work around black's spot,spread the reds all over the table and use d-line colours very rarely
      Keep your day jobs boys.

=o|

Noel

Ron... it doesn't even look like Elvis. No... not even a little bit.
      Last edited by noel; 24 September 2009, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Oops, by the way, I missed out the detail that they were painted by cues. This is a huge detail, sorry to overlook, and also, there is a baize ambiance covering the paint, am I wrong?
        All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

There is also a Steve Davis one - http://www.willowfoundation.org.uk/stevedavis

Comment

Such an utter waste of time. Both for the ones who laid their painted sticks upon the paper and for me who looked at it and wrote this post.

This kind of stuff is not art. It masquerades as art and is produced by people who can't draw. I know some of you won't like these comments of mine, but remember, sometimes the truth is hard to accept.

Comment

Originally Posted by good19 View Post
              Such an utter waste of time. Both for the ones who laid their painted sticks upon the paper and for me who looked at it and wrote this post.

This kind of stuff is not art. It masquerades as art and is produced by people who can't draw. I know some of you won't like these comments of mine, but remember, sometimes the truth is hard to accept.
              It's for Charity!!!!!!!
              Winner of Crucible 77's 2009 World Championship Lucky Dip.

Comment

Originally Posted by Valderie View Post
                It's for Charity!!!!!!!
                I will respond in two ways.

1. I know Willow Foundation is a charity, that raises money to fight cancer. I read the original post.

But why use a bogus means to effect a worthwhile end? The fact that the money paid by the chumps who might this does not make it art. These men have a huge talent for the game of snooker. Why not have them play and exhibition match? The proceeds from ticket sales plus actual cash donations could then be donated to the charity. Everybody holds their heads up. If you go to a charitable match between any of these men and paid the price of the tickets, you would feel that you had received value for the money. You would not feel that you had been somehow "tricked" into parting with your money under the guise of helping a worhwhile charitable cause.

2. The Willow Foundation should be proud and happy to raise money on the merits of their work, not by being hucksters of bogus "art."

Comment

I'm sorry to say this, because I know it's for charity, but.....to ask £1000 for a couple of paint lines on a green stuff is brutal....

A 2 yo kiddo could do the same and it wouldn't be called 'art'...

Sorry but I just don't like when people are doing crap that is sold for an absurd amount of money, JUST because it is charity...
                  Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Working...
                  X