PERRIE MANS (South Africa)

Years as professional: 1970-1987
    Ranking titles: 0
    Ranking finals: 1
    Other titles: 2
    Highest ranking: 2
    Years in top 16: 7
    Crucible appearances: 8

Mans was a terrific single ball potter possessing considerable cue powern but not a great breakbuilder, as was evidenced in one of his finest hours.

He won the Masters in 1979, the first to be held at Wembley Conference Centre, but did not make a half century break during the whole tournament.

It is pretty much unthinkable now that anyone would win a match in the Masters without registering a 50, never mind the whole thing.

Mans defeated Cliff Thorburn, Ray Reardon and Alex Higgins – three great scalps – to win the title.

The previous year he had reached the World Championship final at the Crucible, memorably edging the 64 year-old Fred Davis 18-16 in the semi-finals having already knocked out defending champion John Spencer.

Reardon was to deny him 25-18 in the final.

Mans’s father, Peter, was a professional in the post war years, reaching the 1950 World Championship quarter-finals.

Mans was a 19 times South African champion and headed back home after he retired from the professional circuit in 1987.

He played in Seniors Pot Blak in 1997 and appeared at Wembley for the 25th anniversary celebrations of the Masters in 1999.

More...

Have only seen (very little footage) of Perrie but what i had seen of him i liked. His single ball potting reminded me very much of Mark Williams.

Looking back, he was a little unlucky to face Ray Reardon in the 78 WC final, if not for Ray he could've well ended up as World Champion..
    "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I also have not seen much of Perrie Mans but every time Mark Williams or Neil Robertson plays Dennis Taylor reminds us of the Left Handed single ball potter from south Africa

Comment

Perrie pulled out one terrific long pot in that 78 World Final. It was a long Pink into the bottom corner pocket and must have screwed the cue-ball back some 10feet or so.

Unfortunately i cant find it on youtube anywhere..
        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

please, please, stop saying "single ball potter"
          New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

Working...
          X